• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PCMCIA Specs: No one cares!

evildragon

Veteran Member
I was given a USB 2.0 card for my laptop, and noticed something. Both my "Cardbus" cards, which sorta fit PCMCIA spec, won't fit too well together.

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/newcard.jpg

Notice how the USB card is getting pushed upward a little, and the wifi card under it is being pushed downward a little.

What the hell? Does no manufacturer care about "specification" anymore?

perhaps they dont care... OR perhaps they think most newer laptops only come with one PCMCIA slot nowadays and being neighborly isnt an issue. /shrug

I'm guessing the "one slot" argument is probably the one. Not to mention that the PC Card spec only cares about what goes *INSIDE* the computer. I don't think the spec mentions the 'friendliness' of anything outside the slot. (For example, the USB card placed in the lower slot would COMPLETELY blot the upper, and I've seen some cards that would block the other slot, regardless of its position.)

I'm guessing the "one slot" argument is probably the one. Not to mention that the PC Card spec only cares about what goes *INSIDE* the computer. I don't think the spec mentions the 'friendliness' of anything outside the slot. (For example, the USB card placed in the lower slot would COMPLETELY blot the upper, and I've seen some cards that would block the other slot, regardless of its position.)

A Type III card can only be used in a double hi slot, as the thickness is what defines it as a Type III.

--T

A Type III card can only be used in a double hi slot, as the thickness is what defines it as a Type III.

--T

Yeah, but this was officially a type II card. I know type III cards are internally double height. (Although I haven't seen any type III cards in years.)

The standard is very flexible about the outside of the slot. It defines the socket's physical and electrical characteristics, as well as software interface, etc. It offers only guidelines for so-called 'extended' cards (those which stick outside of the socket), not a true 'standard'.

http://www.pcmcia.org

--T

Last edited:
Back