• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dos version on 720k disk

mnoble2

Hi,

Does anybody know what version of DOS should I be looking for that

comes on 720k disk(s)?

Saw one on feebay as IBM dos, but I'm not sure if that is different.

I have AT&T DOS 4.01 that works on computers that aren't AT&T brand if you want me to image them. Just PM me with your e-mail if you would like me to.

--Ryan

I figured around 5.0, they would come on 720k.

My only problem is I don't have a floppy drive to burn

the image disks on to. I guess that I could go out and

get an external usb floppy drive.

I was just thinking of picking up something on ebay,but not sure
what versions were released on 720k.

How many disks am I looking at to load it?

Sorry for the nob questions.

You don't "burn" to a floppy, you "write". ;)

Some USB drives, specifically Sony's, don't seem to like 720KB disks all that well. (mine won't even touch a DMF formatted one).

I can make an image of 6.22 if you want.

2 disks will do it.

Could you please spell out what you're trying to do? Do I understand correctly that you need to transfer DOS from your modern computer without a disk drive to a classic computer? If you're patient, you'll probably do better to buy a DOS 5 with manuals from Ebay or wherever. You could also find someone here to "burn" you a couple of DOS 5 disks in 720K format and then search around on the web for a copy of the manual.

Bill

Well, what exactly are you wanting?

Are you wondering what versions of DOS came on 720 KB floppies? Or are you looking for a specific version?

I, for example, have PC-DOS 3.3 on one 720 KB floppy, as well as MS-DOS 5.0, which takes up three.

And even positively ancient 720 KB floppy drives work just fine in modern PCs. (As long as it's not a PS/2 floppy drive, those were goofy custom jobs.)

Yep. Sorry I meant write instead of burn.

I was wondering what versions of DOS were released on 720k

disks. I was planning on picking one up on Ebay.

I'm going to go ahead and get an external usb floppy, there's an IBM one will write/read on both sized 3.5 disks.

My current computer inventory is a thinkpad t40p, grid compass 1137, and
gridcase tempest.

My compass has DOS already in bubble memory, but the gridcase has nothing

in rom.

Beware that USB floppy drives are not quite as programmable as the onboard controller on older PCs (which itself is rather limited). I suppose 720K FAT12 floppy disks should be fine to write though, but you also saw Evildragon's response above.

Won Dos 5.0 on ebay today.

Now I'll have to figure out, how to save to ROM on the

Gridcase.

LOL! Save to Read Only Memory! Sorry if I make you feel bad, but one day you will look back and laugh. Anyways, maybe you can find someone on the forums to take the info you want on the ROM, and duplicate the ROM/add the info and burn you a new ROM.

It might work, but I have no clue...

--Ryan

Last edited:
I have DOS 2.11 on 720K floppy for the Tandy 1000, probably one of the first DOS to use 720K floppies (custom made for Tandy I bet).

No worries. I figured that I'll look like a noob sometimes.

My experience is limited. I did use some dos programs back in

the early-mid 90's when I was a security sys. tech.

There must be some static ram, another exact model went on ebay with DOS

loaded. I didn't want to spend too much $$, to swap chips.

My gridcompass, has dos in magnetic bubble memory already.

At least everyone so far is cool here, so sorry for the stupid questions.

The GRiD Compass (1982) seems to have been shipped (?) with MS-DOS 2.2.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=900

The GRiD Gridcase I/II/III/IV (1985) has eight ROM sockets, which could be populated with MS-DOS 2.11, GW-Basic, Lotus 1-2-3 and so on. It also has an internal 3.5" floppy drive (as you know) and could be expanded with a 10 MB hard disk. Possibly the Gridcase on eBay had DOS in ROM, which is kind of what you're trying to recreate.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=1054

Perhaps you can create a boot floppy from the DOS installation floppies, but somehow I doubt MS-DOS 5 will work well on an early 8086 laptop with 128-512K RAM. I don't know what it takes to burn e.g. EPROMs and install those into the computer, if you absoutely want the OS built-in.

The last time I looked, GRiD machines had a large following on the net. Many websites, user groups, etc. Perhaps google will be your friend here too. You might also want to check Yahoo Groups, et.al. If you manage hook up with other GRiD fanatics, they may be able to help you get a bootROM burnt for it. (I'll be happy to do the burning, if you find the necessary info, and if it's within the capabilities of my system).

--T

I'll be happy to do the burning, if you find the necessary info, and if it's within the capabilities of my system.

Thanks!

I did sign up on the grid yahoo group awhile back, but they mainly cater to the later 1500 series grids. Not much help to the early grid units.

Back