• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

dump find (again) an Amiga 1500

nige the hippy

Veteran Member
...Amiga 1500??? I hear you say.

Well it's a 2000 that shipped without the hard drive, and a stuck on black and white label (over the 2000 label) it only sold a few, and only in the UK, and was apparently launched to overshadow another A1500 which was another company's expansion box for the 1000.

The fascias on the floppies have been ripped off (probably because someone was trying to get the processor and memory out ;) )but....

It has an added SCSI hard disk card!

Paid the guys £2 for it!

Will add more in a couple of days when it's dried out & tested.

Nige,

I am jealous. What sort of dumps do you guys have that you can find treasures such as these?

Good luck on your great find!

Andrew Lynch

Hm, I've heard about the Amiga 2500, but I'm unsure about the 1500. Probably some of my UK based Amiga magazines mentioned them once.

Actually it's a 2000 with it's leg cut off,
But I've just powered it up, plugged a monitor into the 2301 genlock card output, and it works fine. No keyboard though... am going to google the possibility of using a pc one, but there are amiga ones on ebay so might treat it to the proper job.
Couple of sockets and the Genlock switch are broken, but easily available still.
Nice little machine!

Regarding the current availability of old machines at the dump...
Because houses are so expensive here at the moment there are loads of loft conversions going on. I think people are clearing all their old crap out of the loft and dumping it because they think it's worthless. If I only had a huge shed I could probably pull 5-10 <= 386s out of the dump each week! I generally come back with something and have to sneak it into the house!
There's never any keyboards though!

I also found an 800W isolating transformer this time. A lifesaver at 240V!

^^

My loft's converted .. and it's full of computers !! :D

There are 5 PCs set up along this side (including this my main one), there is another in my daughter's room and there is a 486 in the pile of stuff behind the stairs (I must sort it out some day) (hoarder alert) :oops: unfortunately a lot of stuff is headed for the tip in the next couple of weeks (nothing worth saving though I must add) .. wonder if old VCRs will be worth anything in years to come :oops:

BG

Actually... The Amiga 2000 didn't come with a hard drive. That was the 2000HD. There's a page describing the Amiga 1500 here. There's also a page describing the Amiga 2000 & 2000HD here.

-Andrew

Wierd...

so the 1500 was actually better (by a floppy) than the 2000. There looks like there are isa slots in my 1500 too (it appears to be a 2000 board)

usually bigger number = better machine

:?:

Commodore was a little backwards in that respect at times... Like the Amiga 500 is better than the Amiga 1000, isn't it? And the Commodore Plus/4 is better than a Commodore 16, and both are better than the VIC-20. :)

-Andrew

I'd always thought the 1000 was like double the capabilities of the 500. Just as the 2500 had just a bit more capabilities of the 2000. Only the 1200 was the oddball out of the loop.
The 3000 and the 4000 were obviously each more capable. Similarly the C64 and C128.

Or am I missing something here.

Lawrence

The Amiga 1000 was the very first model. Pizza box with separate keyboard, originally 256 kB RAM, I believe Kickstart 1.0 or 1.1. The Amiga 500 came about 1.5 - 2 years later, and was as you know a more affordable all-in-one model for home users.

But you can probably look at any computer brand that used or uses numbers to prove wrong the theory that bigger number = better computer. Atari 400 - 800XL - 130XE - 520ST? Macintosh various LC and Performa numbers should also be pretty much a soup.

I thought the 1500 was a 2000 without the PC expansion slots installed.

If you've got the ISA slots, then the motherboard has been replaced.

Wierd...

so the 1500 was actually better (by a floppy) than the 2000. There looks like there are isa slots in my 1500 too (it appears to be a 2000 board)

I'd love to be able to have a check and say "you're right", but the house is in a state of "seasonally affected disorder" and I can't get to it! so this thread will have to wait till after christmas.:(

Commodore_Amiga1500_System_1.jpg

The Amiga 1500 was a variation of the Amiga 2000 that was only available in the U.K. in 1990.

This system came with two internal floppy disk drives (only one for the 2000), but without hard disk and controller card. Nevertheless, it was a true Amiga 2000 that could be easily upgraded. It also featured one of the latest motherboard version (6.2), the ECS chipset and Kickstart 2.04.

--

Alan Lewis reports to us:
The Commodore Amiga 1500 was bought out with one purpose in life...
A Uk company, Checkmate Digital, had produced an "exapansion" box for the A500. It was a complete new system case for the A500, offering expansion slots/ports, internal storage bayes, etc. Checkmate called it the A1500, and was available as a kit, or pre-assembed complete with A500 computer. And it was quite succesful...

Shortly afterwards, Commodore bought out the A1500. oddly enough, the only difference between an Commodore A1500 and a B2000... the 1500 had an additional floppy drive and a b/w A1500 sticker... the two machines were identical. The B2000 was supposed to have had a hard disk added, but resellers all sold these models as optionals...

-- Release year:

AMIGA 1000 1985

AMIGA 500 1987
AMIGA 2000 1987

AMIGA 2500 1989
AMIGA 3000 1990
AMIGA 1500 1990
CDTV 1990
AMIGA 500 PLUS 1991

AMIGA 4000 1992
AMIGA 1200 1992
AMIGA 600 1992
AMIGA 600HD 1992

for further details visit http://www.old-computers.com/museum/company.asp?st=1&l=C and scroll down to commodore. All above info is copied from there.

bloody very nice find!

Last edited:
Back