• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro II

VintageComputerman

Veteran Member
Lucky me, I just bought a vintage Kaypro II in mint condition with all manuals, software and cover. :D

Does anyone here have one or used one?

I'm going to fire it up later today.

Oh, you will meet a few people who use Kaypros, with a passion. I expect to see their postings this evening. Sounds like a nice find! I always wanted a Kaypro, but I am waiting for just the right one on eBay. I am looking to get a Kaypro 16. I hope yours works! As mentioned, I am wanting a Kaypro 16. But I am waiting for one to come up with it's disks(preferebly original) and it's original manuals and preferebly software, too. Also looking to get one with a cover. Then again, if it has all that AND a hard drive, I will probably bid on it. I just want the 16 as it can run DOS, and I think CP/M, too, but my AT&T 6300 can do that. So have you tested it at all, or have you been to busy to do so?

--Ryan

Last edited:
Oh, you will meet a few people who use Kaypros, with a passion. I expect to see their postings this evening. Sounds like a nice find! I always wanted a Kaypro, but I am waiting for just the right one on eBay. I am looking to get a Kaypro 16. I hope yours works! As mentioned, I am wanting a Kaypro 16. But I am waiting for one to come up with it's disks(preferebly original) and it's original manuals and preferebly software, too. Also looking to get one with a cover. Then again, if it has all that AND a hard drive, I will probably bid on it. I just want the 16 as it can run DOS, and I think CP/M, too, but my AT&T 6300 can do that. So have you tested it at all, or have you been to busy to do so?

--Ryan

I might be getting one just like it from the same place I found this one. Mine is from the original owner and includes the dust cover.

The AT&T or a Kaypro 16?

The Kaypro. I'm not sure if it's a 16 though, I didn't get a real good look at it but it looked black and more or less like a 16.

I've managed to collect a lot of Kaypro stuff but mostly I have repair parts for a variety of vintage computers.

Even wire wrap!!!

That's cool, It may be a Kaypro 10. It looks exactly like the 16, but without the DOS support. Either way, nice to hear that. I may buy myself one for Christmas, or for my own employee of the month award, lol. I tend to do that sometimes, as I am the owner, and only employee of Sutton Systems!

--Ryan

Hmm... I am surprised SharkOnWheels hasn't jabbed at this thread yet...I suppose he is overseas or something for his job? Anyhow, does that Kaypro have any software or manuals, or is it just the Kaypro itself?

--Ryan

I would love a Kaypro. I've been waiting for one to appear on our local trading site but no luck so far. Given the difficulty of shipping it would have to be somewhere I could drive to, so that limits me to the North Island of New Zealand unfortunately. ):

I would love a Kaypro. I've been waiting for one to appear on our local trading site but no luck so far. Given the difficulty of shipping it would have to be somewhere I could drive to, so that limits me to the North Island of New Zealand unfortunately. ):

Yeah, I'm sorry. I forgot where you are located.

OTOH, the offer still stands if anyone else wants to claim it.

--T

I got a "Decent" condition kaypro ][ at a junk store for $10 with software included. the keyboards phone port was jammed in, so I had a heck of a time trying to slide the cord back in. Now all I'm stuck on is this

"Please insert disk into Drive A"

Which disk is that?

I got a "Decent" condition kaypro ][ at a junk store for $10 with software included. the keyboards phone port was jammed in, so I had a heck of a time trying to slide the cord back in. Now all I'm stuck on is this

"Please insert disk into Drive A"

Which disk is that?

Ummn, the Kaypro II bootdisk (CP/M Master). If you don't have the disk, d/l the image from Dave Dunfield's website.

--T

Last edited:
Well, it came with ALOT of disks, which is why I was asking. I'll go look.

EDIT: Nope.
I found some stuff on writing the disk image of the kaypro II boot disk via teledisk, will this work?

Last edited:
Yes, if the image is in TeleDisk format (.td0). Some of Dave's images are ImageDisk format (.imd), so you might need to d/l that too. OTOH, You might try inserting the disks you have until you find one that boots. (Most of 'em prob'ly will). Putting in a 'wrong' disk shouldn't hurt anything.

--T

I got a good lead on a Kaypro 2X with manuals and software. Anyone know what a good price to offer is?

The guy wants just over a hundred. I think it's too much.

It's in mint condition and he is the original owner. This guy knows his computers too. A real old timer.

I paid $60 + s/h for all the combined stuff (it was 2 separate purchases). Shipping costs were the killer, as expected. I averaged $20 per working Kaypro II with no software or books, most of them work fine.

Back