• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac Classic Floppy Drive

evildragon

Veteran Member
How sensitive is the drive in the Classic?

Formatting a disk sometimes don't work for most of my disks, and only a handful actually complete the format.

Also, even though the system disk is write protected, it managed to wipe it out, and corrupt the file system.

What do you guys think?

if you have a working 400K disk drive, consider yourself lucky. vintagemicros.com may be able to sell you a refirb.
Mine is a superdrive, that's what the classic came with..

Another weird thing is sometimes a write-enabled floppy mounts as write protected.

I used to own a Classic(and now have a Classic II) and I have NEVER had a problem with the drives. I usually use standard-issue floppy disks(no problems there) but maybe you should go to your local Wal*Mart and spend $5 for some Macintosh formatted floppy-disks. They come in many colors.

--Ryan

I used to own a Classic(and now have a Classic II) and I have NEVER had a problem with the drives. I usually use standard-issue floppy disks(no problems there) but maybe you should go to your local Wal*Mart and spend $5 for some Macintosh formatted floppy-disks. They come in many colors.

--Ryan
This drive even damaged it's own "System Disk" that came with the Classic.

I think the disk sense switches inside are failing, hence the write protect issue.

This drive even damaged it's own "System Disk" that came with the Classic.

I think the disk sense switches inside are failing, hence the write protect issue.

It could be a switch problem, but I am more inclined to think it might be a Systems error.

Which MACOS are you running ? OS 7 or something earlier or later than 7 ?

Croweater

Wow. There are several issues here. If you are talking about a "Mac Classic", TMK they used the superdrive. If your talking about a classic mac up to the Mac Plus which used 400 or 800 byte drives, then that is another thing. But in any case it sounds like youe FD is faulty and should be replaced.

Lawrence

Back