• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ZX-81 I let go...

tezza

Veteran Member
Well, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Pay over $58 NZ bucks (about $48US) for a ZX81 micro. I was bidding for it on an auction site here but just couldn't bring myself to pay any more than that. Another guy got it at $59.

This unit looked ok but was untested, with no power pack, no software and no manual.

Would you have bid higher?

Nope, not for an untested ZX81 without power pack.

I'd say that it would have been a fair price for one WITH the power pack.

And keep in mind that untested often seems to be code for "I did test it but it didn't work so now I'm selling it".

// Z

Given that I've donated a number of them to various people/institutions over the years, I'd value them quite low, but they may be a little scarcer/valuable these days. $58.00 might be in the right range, but I'd be wary of the as-is, untested status.

--T

Chances are really strong that an "as is" has a non-working keyboard. The ribbon connection for the keyboard is a SUPER POOR design. The plastic part of the ribbon gets brittle over the years and splits. I am running at 1/2 of all the Z-81s I buy have a bad keyboard connection, I have 2 "mostly working" ones out of 4. I had to take various pieces and reassemble. The Z-81s are still inexpensive if you are patient. I averaged $20 per with power supply and add-on RAM unit.

Another Zx-81 now on my local auction site here. This time WITH a powerpack and manual but (as with the 4-5 I've seen over the past few months) untested (so estimated 50:50 chance of it working). Price at the moment is $52NZ dollars (about $40US).

This or higher definitely seems to be the going rate here. The auction still has a day to run. Interestingly, there are two people actively bidding but based on their other purchases/goods sold they are both second-hand dealers not vintage computer collectors.

Anyway, since these units don't seem to go for much cheaper than this I'm tempted....

Well with viewing the auction you are looking at, normally, I'd say go for it -- I just get nervous with buying something that says "untested". I'd rather someone actually tested it but still mentions that it is sold "as-is" due to the age of the computer, I'd feel a little more comfortable with that.

How about that listing for a box of Amiga stuff for 50 cents though! Too bad it doesn't have a "buy now" option for it ;)

How about that listing for a box of Amiga stuff for 50 cents though! Too bad it doesn't have a "buy now" option for it ;)

Yea, It's a "must pick up" but actually it's just 2 hours drive from me. Amiga stuff seems amazingly common on the TradeMe site at the moment. If I had more room, I'd be tempted, but I'm pressed for space and so am just sticking to my "hit" list at the moment.

I could do with some Amiga software though?

Hmm....

Wish I could find Amiga stuff locally around here in Wisconsin, not too common at all! One guy in Milwaukee had a boxed Amiga 500 w/SupraRam 500 RX, disk drive, joysticks, and about 20 games boxed, a few of them were still sealed, all for $40 -- it was a two hour drive actually, but when I saw everything it came with, I felt bad and gave him $60 instead, I still felt kinda guilty at getting everything that I did for the price I paid. But hey if that's what people are willing to sell their stuff for, I guess that's ok. I was just thrilled to finally own an Amiga, even if it's the low-end one.

I'm sure that ZX-81 has got to be tempting you though ... now, if it was a ZX-80 that was untested, I'd have absolutely no hesitation on bidding on it for that price, that's for sure ...

Yes, I might seriously think about that ZX-81......:D

One guy in Milwaukee had a boxed Amiga 500 w/SupraRam 500 RX, disk drive, joysticks, and about 20 games boxed, a few of them were still sealed, all for $40 -- it was a two hour drive...

That's a similar price to what I paid for my Amiga 500, also with RAM expansion and the original software/manuals and more. I was really pleased to get it (it's in great condition) and it was one of the few machines I managed to score locally.

Interesting machine. I'd never had any experience with an Amiga until I owned one just a few months ago. For it's time it seems impressive. The only thing with the 500 is that software seems to take an age to load off the floppies, but then I guess it is the lower-end model after all. My older brother owned one for years and he adored it.

Ok, I just let ANOTHER ZX-81 go on our national auction site here.

$72 bucks ($57US), untested and in rather scruffy condition. At least it had a power pack and the manual.

I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for something that may not work. Some people could though, obviously.

At this rate it may be better to get them from the UK, where tested ones go for about 10 pounds or so ($30 NZ) and pay the postage!

Back