• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WANTED (US) Amber monochrome monitor

dkedrowitsch

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a monochrome monitor to use on an XT (8088 ) clone with an Amber CRT. So a DB9 pin TTL interface is required.

No screen burn and a decent chassis is preferred. A 12"-14" screen is also a plus.

I recently purchased a brand new 14" monochrome on ebay that was supposed to be amber but it ended up having a white phosphor tube, so I'm still on the hunt. :(

If anyone wants to trade a decent amber monitor for a brand new in the box white one, we could do that, or I can pay via PapPal or money order for one.

If no amber ones turn up, green might be doable too...so if anyone has a green one for sale let me know I may end up needing it.

Regards!

Hi, I don't have any monochrome monitors for sale, but may I ask why you specifically want an amber monochrome monitor? On my old machines I tend to want a monitor that is color so I can read white text versus green. So is that white tube monitor only capable of displaying blacks, whites, and grays? What connector does it use(EGA,CGA,VGA)? If you can't find someone willing to trade, I may be intrested depending on its connector and what it looks like...

--Ryan

Nostalgic reasons. ;)

Yes, the monitor I just got is a "paper white" TTL monochrome w/9-pin interface for a mono text/herc video board. When I tested it, it did have a "gray" scale just like any other monochrome monitor.

Here's a link to the specs:

http://www.miraclebusiness.com/mt102.htm

It's brand new in the box, only connected for about 30 seconds before I was disappointed that I didn't get what I wanted and packed it back up in disgust. I have the worst luck on ebay lately....

I'd be willing to sell it, but I'd like to see if any trade options open up first.

You could buy a roll of sticky film for a couple of buck$ and make the white any color you like (I'd kinda like to see a red screen myself...or mebbe purple...).

--T

You could buy a roll of sticky film for a couple of buck$ and make the white any color you like (I'd kinda like to see a red screen myself...or mebbe purple...).

--T

Huh? Once again I am back to an issue I admitted to having before: Are you being serious or sarcastic?

--Ryan

Huh? Once again I am back to an issue I admitted to having before: Are you being serious or sarcastic?

--Ryan

Mebbe a little of both...it could be a simple solution to the problem though. If you use the removable film, you could have a different color every day of the week. Actually, I was thinking back to the day when many folks were using white phosphor (willie pete?) monitors, and there were some of those films that were marketed for that very purpose. I don't know how hard it would be to find any today tho, YMMV.

--T

Actually, Terry's suggestion is not a bad idea (not taken to his extent, of course :) ). You could probably get Theatrical Gels (the things they use to colour the spotlights for stage productions) fairly cheaply in any good sized city.

They are usually defect free and would, pretty much, cling to the CRT electrostatically.

I think Tatung made a monitor, at one time that was colour, amber (more red) and green (more yellow) that was selectable via a slide switch on the back.

Well, I've got amber and green ones, but shipping those things is a real PITA; planning to be in the Toronto area any time soon?

mike

Well, I've got an Amdek that is amber, and I really like it. Though, I think it's smaller than what you were looking for...

Amdek! My fondest PC memories were plucking away at my harddriveless 10MHz XT clone looking at an old Amdek 210 monitor. My dad bought it used from someone to replace the Samsung monitor we got with the computer because I killed it with an EGA screen saver confusing the herc board. ;)

What model is it? Pictures?

Amdek! My fondest PC memories were plucking away at my harddriveless 10MHz XT clone staring at an old Amdek 210 monitor my dad got used to replace a fried Samsung I killed with an EGA screen saver confusing the herc board. ;)

Amdek! My fondest PC memories were plucking away at my harddriveless 10MHz XT clone looking at an old Amdek 210 monitor. My dad bought it used from someone to replace the Samsung monitor we got with the computer because I killed it with an EGA screen saver confusing the herc board. ;)

-------------
Ah yes, Amdek; I too spent many hours staring at one of those.
And as I look around me, I see many other names from the past: Aamazing, Darius, Daytek, Princeton, Datatrain, Samtron, Leading Tech, and some no-names including a funky amber one that does both TTL mono and mono CGA and a cute Philips with a clock in the base.

And who can forget Packard-Bell...

And those long-persistence green IBMs...

Memories...

Hmmm...pictures? Really? I guess I could take a couple, I didn't really think an old monitor was so interesting. I don't use it often now (couple of times a year) but it was my first PC monitor, on my Cordata 8086. At the time, I really liked it, compared to the green screens I was using on other systems.

How about some of the DG terminals with blue screens? Those were really cool...

I thought you were offering it, so I was curious to see what model it was and what condition it's in.

If not, no problem, although a pic would be nice anyway. ;)

Hmmm...pictures? Really? I guess I could take a couple, I didn't really think an old monitor was so interesting. I don't use it often now (couple of times a year) but it was my first PC monitor, on my Cordata 8086. At the time, I really liked it, compared to the green screens I was using on other systems.

How about some of the DG terminals with blue screens? Those were really cool...

Still looking?

Still looking?

Are you still looking for an amber monitor? I have 12 inch Samsung you can have for shipping + 20%. It weighs about 20 lb packed and would ship from zip 20112. I just had it hooked up last week to check out the XT clone I was sending to someone, and it still works fine.

--T

That's a good idea, it would be kind of like the Overlay's for a Vectrex and I seem to recall reading some early arcade games may have done this as well!

Back