• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

386 & 486 Computer Parts

VintageComputerman

Veteran Member
I just received an entire van load of vintage 386 and 486 computer parts from a computer repair shop. They were cleaning out all their old stuff and just gave it all to me for free. Unfortunately, I didn't have room for the 30 to 40 cases, but I did manage to get around 30 mother boards most with CPU's and memory, several boxes of video cards, sound cards, I/O cards, modems and related communication boards. Several older computers, key boards, several old printers, cables, ribbons, 8 scanners in new condition, 30 older hard drives. Boxes of CD's, floppies and related software, games, drivers for many older systems. Key pads, zip drives, cd drives, floppie drives, software cases, manuals, joy sticks and related gaming stuff...etc.

Did I fall into a good thing or what? :crazy:

I'm thinking of selling all the modem, video and sound cards. Hmmmm...where do I start.

All this stuff was basically swapped out of working systems during upgrades and they are all in anti static bags. Some of it is even new, unopened.

Anyone else ever find a cash like this?

I know a guy who sells used computers out of his apartment, people are always bringing in their old machines to him looking for trade in value and he mostly gives them away. Some of those systems he gets in are from old ladies that took very good care of them, and a few are mint pre Pentium systems.

Most sellers junk that kind of stuff as fast as they get them, outside of a collector I don't know anybody who could use an old AT style case these days or even in the last 5+ years. Those parts must have been way back in the corner of an overloaded shop.

Some nice high quality AT cases would be cool to have (I keep looking for them), shipping just makes it expensive so I look locally.

Yeah, I usually get a lot of that old stuff from people cleaning up, especially psychopathic packrats.

One haul was a garage full of old crap that I am still sorting through that took 10 trips to get all of.

I also get a lot of old stuff from this guy I know who collects scrap metal for salvage. If it looks like it's some sort of computer stuff, he drops it off, I gut the (clone) cases and save the branded ones and then recycle the metal stuff back to him.

Most of it requires some degree of repair and some just isn't worth it, so, it's scrapped too.

I just got back from a trip out into the boonies and came back with an entire Atari Computer in original boxes. Almost complete except for a tape drive!!!

It even came with the sketch pad.:p

This has been a really good week.

Make that two Atari's. I got an 800 and a 130 crammed into a big box. Two 1050 external drives as well and one is mint, like new, in original box!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid6900
Yeah, I usually get a lot of that old stuff from people cleaning up, especially psychopathic packrats.
--
Terry:
Hey, I heard that...
--T

So did I!

Just for that, I'm taking Richard's name off the list I'm leaving for my executors...

m

Sounds like a good haul, especially the software. I wouldn't really bother selling the modems though, as the market for those is TINY. The sound and video cards, on the other hand, still fetch decent prices, since people who want a keep a DOS box for gaming purposes have need of nice ISA sound cards and VLB/early PCI video cards...

Sounds like a good haul, especially the software. I wouldn't really bother selling the modems though, as the market for those is TINY. The sound and video cards, on the other hand, still fetch decent prices, since people who want a keep a DOS box for gaming purposes have need of nice ISA sound cards and VLB/early PCI video cards...

Happen to got any VLB Mach 64 2+ MB vram cards ya wana sell? =)

Happen to got any VLB Mach 64 2+ MB vram cards ya wana sell? =)

Actually, I might have something of that sort... I know that I have some old VLB card from STB that had some sort of an S3 chipset...

Back