• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mindset Computer Site

You have a good start to the site!

I remember seeing the Mindset for the first time at a 1983 (?) computer show in NYC. It was stunning at the time.

A machine with I/O modules, cartridges, and 32KB of video RAM sounds very much like a PCjr. I wonder if the IBM engineers who did the PCjr were drinking at the same bar as the Mindset engineers. (More likely they were influenced by the same factors .. the 16K CGA card wasn't enough to do anything but crude bar charts, and the idea of IO cards was daunting to a lot of newbies.

Mike

I'm hoping to get all of the manuals and docs up in the coming weeks, I'm going to try and put the same effort into this as I've done with Atarimuseum.com

Curt

Mindset PC

Mindset PC

Mindset computer -
I never heard of one. Sporting a 80186 yet. (I live such a shallow life) - such a fine looking piece of machinery if ever there was - and I never saw one before. But then that's why I joined VCF - to 'pick up' on all the things I missed over the past 30 years. (You can't be 'into' everything, and I was focused on Radio Shack and Commodore at the time.)
What a magnificent chunk of parts and sleek styling. I checked the Old Computers.com site and found that the interior of this machine is even better looking than the outside.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos.asp?t=1&c=986&st=1

And they say beauty is only skin deep. I'm in love - where do I go to buy my very own Mindset PC? Can I get one at Circuit City? How about Computerland? No, I've missed the boat! The boat came in back in 1984 and I missed out. I bought a Commodore 64. Now that is one great machine too - but I totally missed the Mindset, and to be frank, I couldn't have plunked down the $2,400. cost back then anyway so I happily stuck my nose in Commodore - but with the 'mindset' (pun intended), I have today - I truly would like to own one of these Mindset PC's.
Really looking forward to all that is to come with your site devoted to Mindset Corp., Atarimuseum.

I have to agree with everyone else, that was one handsome computer!

And Vint, don't feel bad, I was also wrapped up in Commodore's and TRS-80's until around 1985, when I "discovered" the PC clones :-D

MindSet with 80186

MindSet with 80186

I have one of these MindSet machines. It is terrific, especially for its time. I especially loved arguing with the professors at RIT who still hold fast to their idea that there was no such chip as a 80186. Even after I tell them that I have a machine with one of them in it.

The other great thing is the graphics software "Lumena".

Go to the utube site http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kilIyXfHg0 for some more discussion. Particularly, history.

Back