• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Be careful with eBay Dutch Auctions

Mardy

I'm sure that most of you more seasoned professionals already know this, but I had to find out the hard way, eBay Dutch Auctions do not use the bidding proxy. The bid amount you enter is the committed purchase price, regardless of what any lessor bid amount was. As long as you know that ahead of time, it's not a problem. For me though, I didn't read the manual first :(

-Mardy

I bid on a Dutch auction awhile ago , and I think the way it worked was this.
The seller had three items available. User1 had bid $25 for one , I bid $30 for one , User 3 bid $35 for one. Auction ended and we each got one for $25.
As I said this was some time ago so they may have changed the rules.

I'm sure that most of you more seasoned professionals already know this, but I had to find out the hard way, eBay Dutch Auctions do not use the bidding proxy. The bid amount you enter is the committed purchase price, regardless of what any lessor bid amount was. As long as you know that ahead of time, it's not a problem. For me though, I didn't read the manual first :(

-Mardy

Last edited:
Hmmm...I didn't realize that...
I woulda' figured, using you example above, since there were 3 items, and 3 bidders, for 1 item each, that they woulda' sold for $25, $30, and $35 respectively...

Guess that's another good reason to RTFM....especially in fleaBay's case, since it seems they change the rules whenever the wind changes direction.

T

Perhaps the auction had a reservation price, so Mardy's bid was just over the least required bid, while the 2nd bidder was way below the reservation price anyhow?

Aha, I had never heard about that term before. I thought you all spoke about a regular auction held at the eBay.nl site, with different conditions than on other eBay sites: eBay.com, eBay.ca, eBay.co.uk, eBay.de, eBay.fr and so on.

I'll see if I can find out if they have a policy about the treatment of minorities. Maybe I can sue them.

Has anyone else noticed that eBay changed the Vintage computer
categories ? They used to have subsections like

Computers & Networking > Vintage Computing > IBM
Computers & Networking > Vintage Computing > Apple
Computers & Networking > Vintage Computing > Vintage PC's

Now it appears they have combined all into one category:

Computers & Networking > Vintage Computing

I just cant find those old subcategories anymore :-(
Maybe this is a way to get buyers to look at other unrelated
items while searching for something.

Yeah, they dumped all the subcategories. Guess they figured Vintage Computers was categorized enough.

Personally, I think it sucks!

Now if I could just find a viable alternative I'd drop ebay like a bad habit.

But it is individual for each eBay site. This is what confuses me the most about eBay, that every national site not only is translated into its own language, but also has its own classifications and structure. Somehow many items posted for shipping worldwide get found anyhow, so deep down eBay must have a rather advanced system of cross-referencing categories between sites.

For that matter, while eBay.co.uk only have had Vintage Computers as one big category for as long as I've been browsing it, eBay.de still has Klassische Computer with a few subcategories: Amiga, Atari, Commodore, IBM/Lenovo, Robotron, Schneider, Sinclair and Sonstige (others). The mere thought of a Lenovo produced computer categorized as anything vintage makes me cringe like Evan does.

I really miss the IBM subcategory, having all the vintage stuff lumped
together makes it such a pain to search that I hardly even bother
browsing anymore. I have a couple of custom searches setup
and receive emails when items are listed.

Yeah, they dumped all the subcategories. Guess they figured Vintage Computers was categorized enough.

Personally, I think it sucks!

Now if I could just find a viable alternative I'd drop ebay like a bad habit.

Back