• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable OA

The EnableOa Spreadsheet Cell Note

The EnableOa Spreadsheet Cell Note

I thought I knew it all, but...:eek:

Recently told the Enablers out there that the menu options inside a cell note in an EnableOA spreadsheet are mouseable even though they don't have the usual blue background which is the tipoff that something in Enable is mouseable [like the topline menus etc.] The 3 options are SAVE, DELETE, CANCEL

Yup, they work with the mouse. At least one of us on the board here hadn't known that the Spreadsheet had cell notes. 000000ooooooo! Enable!! :cool:/OAfurf

P.S. Careful, when I mis-aimed the mouse and clicked randomly in the cell note I got unpredictable results. Oh,Oh, Enable!!:blush:

Last edited:
indexes and record locks

indexes and record locks

In Thogscave we discussed how the Autolock won't work well when i change the output (.OUTPUT screen off, etc)from screen to printer to file, then back to screen during the invoice processing portion of the program (i think Dave brought that up). SO, it created my own little routine that reads a master file wiht one record and it contains the filed SWITCH. If the SWITCH is 2, you wait 3 seconds and recheck it until it's 1. Then you update it to 2, do your work on the customer, invoice, item files, update the master record with the next invoice number and 1. Then the next PC can see the 1 and do their work. It works with the exception of 1 or 2 invoices every couple of months having a duplicate invoice number (must be that 1 millisecond thing accross a network).

Forgot what else you mentioned so i'll reply again in a minute ;)

little behind on Vintage

little behind on Vintage

Boy there's been a lot of activity here. my reply to FrFr about the index blowouts and reindex seems a bit outdated for sure!!

I do Task Schedule a reboot of the server each night (10pm) followed by an end of day routine in OA that does some reporting and a re-index of all indexes (like your suggested start of the day reindex). it's a bit of a stinker though when the indexes go poof during the middle of the day and their busy at the check out lanes. Would be even worse if it happend while i was out of town or state.

I'll have to checkin a bit to see what new topics come to the surface.

EnableOA's Accessories

EnableOA's Accessories

Has anyone done much with the Accessories?

;)Calculator Alt/+
:)Card file ... Ctrl/1
:eek:Calendar ... Ctrl/2
:pClock Ctrl/4
:DTelephone book ... Ctrl/3

I've really only used the Calculator over the years but just took a look at the telephone book and concluded I'm been outta the accessory :eek: loop. The telbook looks quite promising.... very mouseable:rolleyes:.

So I went and looked at the card file and calendar... Hey! There's some goodies hidden in there. Think I'll have a further go at it/them. :cool:/OAfurf

card file / phone book

card file / phone book

Is it possible that I should consider using one of these for a POPUP that i want to put in my system to select an email address or fax number for OA to send a report to??

I've been very happy with the "sendemail.exe" and have found a product called NetCfax that has a command line fax that i can use to send faxes out of OA also :p

This makes for a real advancement in OA, being able to communicate data and reports via email and fax to contacts outside the OA world.

So, MM11, I'm interested to know how NetCfax works with Enable OA? Can you compose faxes within Enable WP and dial up the fax number from an Enable OA DBF entry, then send the whole thing off?

While faxing has become less important since emailing, it would be handy to have the same type of control of faxing as we now get with emailing from within Enable! (courtesy of OAfurf's groundbreaking work!)

suthnsun

NetCfac

NetCfac

It works very similar to the sendmail.exe program for emails. It has a command line processor so you put your details of the fax to a text file and use the command line to execute the fax from an open command line window. i put the fax numbers, names, etc in a dbf and pull those details as needed and create the text file, then execute the following:

faxcmd /a c:\sendfax\faxtext.txt

Where faxtext.txt is the follwing:

616 895 4008
Rick Sietsema
Sietsema Farms
Testing Fax command line system
616 895 6339
Ricks Laptop at home
Rick and Dalayne Inc.
NORMAL
/C D:\SENDFAX\MESSAGE.TXT

The NetCfax program uses your modem that you setup during istallation and out goes the fax. You can select several default coversheets or create your own. I used the default for testing and put my text message on the coversheet so i didn't burn paper on the other end.

Still testing how and where i'll use it, i'm thinking for the contacts that don't have an email, i'll fax my system notices to eliminate the phone calls.

Thanks for that Rick, I'll think about using it also. Amazing how Enable OA is still staying relevant n'est ce pas?

Now On Board

Now On Board

Just keeping this thread active and making my initial post as a new member of the Enable/OA Cabal. Don't have a machine to run it on, but I'm here and ready to rock-n-roll -- that is, I'm here to soak up the water of wisdom pouring from greater minds than my own.

NetCFax

NetCFax

Had a real crappy email from NetCfax support. Suggested that I'm some sort of idiot with respect to basic computing. It still may be the only command line fax utility i can find and shouldn't need much support anyway, just wanted to pass it on to those that may consider it.

It may be better to stick to freebie command line utilities, Rick, at least you know that you're on your own! I might look around for one when I get some time.
suthnsun

but I'm here and ready to rock-n-roll -- that is, I'm here to soak up the water of wisdom pouring from greater minds than my own.

Welcome aboard Ed, for my part here, just focussing on keeping OA relevant in modern times (pretty mercantile really) I came to windows only recently, (OS/2 prior to that, for Enable applications). Its been fairly mindblowing to see what Oafurf et al have been accomplishing with OA, genuinely keeping Enable OA viable and growing , dinosaur as it may be!
suthnsun

Command Line Fax Utility

Command Line Fax Utility

I've spent hours looking for a fax server that has a command line utility and NetCplus was all i could find. I found other fax servers, but none with a DOS utility. Unlike our send email utility, the fax needs to have additional built in services like retry, undelivered notification, modem setup, etc. If you had a freebie, let me know!! The other thought i have my son looking into is if i could use our Microsoft Exchange Server to somehow stick a fax into it's que and let that handle the delivery via fax (just a thought-possibly not a capability of Exchange) OR Microsoft Server 2003 fax services.

Where Do Your Run Enable/OA?

Where Do Your Run Enable/OA?

Just thought I'd mention I run Enable/OA in DOSEmu on my Linux box. There's a bit of work setting it up. Of particular interest is whether Enable has the native driver for your printer. Mine does, so I send print work in "raw" mode and it looks great. However, DOSEmu will pass print work to the standard CUPS printer queue if your output is in postscript language.

Anyway, it's all mouseable, too, with extra options to capture keyboard and pointer if that works better. You'll need to figure out what font to run for best readability. Also, depending on your window manager, you'll need to reduce conflicts on keyboard shortcuts because Enable/OA uses ALT an awful lot.

Edit: I forget to mention -- not too much sneering -- I have installed a fax utility with lots of commandline options: Efax. While I haven't had a reason to try it, there is a wide number of users who insist it's the only way to go, unless you need a real fax server. That's when you use Hylafax.

Last edited:
Checking In

Checking In

Great to see EnableOA is still drawing old and new users.

Something has changed here at Vintage. I'm no longer getting the usual notices via email when new messages are added.

Having encountered our new BROKEN Ed at thogs I checked in to see if he might be here and he/you is/are.

In the past I would have received by email a notice with a link to click. Haven't got that in some months now. Are you guys getting one? /OAfurf

EnableOA Basics

EnableOA Basics

Here's a primer on EnableOA:
Enable's Main Menu gives you access to all the functions and features
available in Enable. Select from one of several main options:

Use System. This is the doorway to Enable's four major modules:
Word Processing, Spreadsheet (with Graphics), Database (with SQL
and Graphics) and Communications. You can also select this option
to access the Mail Merge and Print Form features.

Print. Print Enable print files from the Main Menu and activate
the Print Queue. For more information on print files, see
REF2:pR:Enable Print Files.

Files. View and manipulate files that are stored on your
fixed-disk and floppy disk drives. Display file names by type, or
view all files at once.

MCM. Enable's Master Control Module is a supervisory or control
program similar to those that run large mainframe computers.
Select this option to access several system-wide services and
facilities.

Tools. Use Enable's system-wide utilities. These include macros,
a menu generator, a user-defined dictionary, and the Enable
accessories (calculator, calendar, card file, clock and telephone
book).

Help. Display information on external aspects of Enable, such as
the tutorials, customer assistance, operating systems and the
Enable Bulletin Board System.

Return. Quit Enable's Main Menu and return to your operating
system.

HI HO ENABLE OAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa!!! Hooray! /OAfurf

Workhorse App in EnableOA

Workhorse App in EnableOA

When written reports from the field arrive via email from 7 to 10 locations, I want to be able to copy/paste the words into two consecutive memo fields, format each with Enable user-defined menus and upon closing the windows with a CloseW command in the same menu have Enable write up a fully html-formatted, multi-colored report and auto-launch it in an external html editor for pasting into an outgoing email window.

Upon closing the external file I want Enable to read it [yes, read the same file Enable has just generated] and in order to assign it a unique name and catalog it into the database table, extract from the embedded html text the necessary info to build the database fields [catalog filename, author, date, site number, etc.] Enable should build the filename by finding the placename in the html file, extract the first two letters and concatenate them with the embedded date reduced to a 5-digit integer and also concatenate the filename extension to show in the table as ".html", e.g. GR39527.html

Note there are 7 alphanumerics before the period. So if a file by that name already exists I want Enable to add an 8th digit in naming the file... in this case it would be named GR395270.htm and any next file would be GR395271.htm. The final "l" gets dropped from "html" for cosmetic reasons [knock the L out of it] so that all filenames are the exact same length on the Display screen. Why? Because I want the prime display of the catalog to be

FILENAME..... ..FULLSITE.. "We Wuv Enable OA" SHOWDATE......REPORTING

-- the We Wuv space being that which will be hidden by the all-purpose menu in the middle of the screen. The first option of the menu will call an arrows menu to optionally point an arrow at the Location/date entry of any catalogued filename, hit Enter and Enable opens that html file in the external html editor. And so on....

Other things the menu will have options for [sometimes calling a second menu, othertimes sending direct commands to the .perform file that governs the opening and closing of windows and more] are

1. Open the last processed file as an Enable wpf file rather than in the external editor, tracking its window. And be able to call the same menu to close it, tracking it as no longer open in a window.
2. Rebuild the default catalog display screen with the main app menu overlaid
3. Open the main RPT scripts for editing and tweaking while tracking its window both opened and closed.
4. Open/Close the perform file in a tracked window. Rarely used since the .perform file almost never needs updating but nice to have the option.
5. Go out to Enable's File Manager to view all html files on disk with the option of opening them and especially, a way of eliminating any blank lines which often get interspersed if the file is resaved in the external editor.
6. View all files [not just html files] with the option of opening any in a wpf window.
7. Open in its own WPF window any menu, script or file used in the app in case it needs to be tweaked or edited.
8. Call the main MCM.MNU menu to access the rest of Enable while keeping the catalog open.
9. Have the menu open itself in a MenuGen or WPF window for updating/tweaking, etc.
10. Close the entire app.

Bravo Enable! /OAfurf

emails, htmls, and memo fields, OH MY

emails, htmls, and memo fields, OH MY

You'll have to post the details so i can follow this one. Are you able to copy and paste the macros, menus, procedural language for me to read and follow. Sounds like some good stuff to learn from. I'd like to see how your checking for the existence of a file and then adding the good html stuff to the text from the email in an automated fashion. I'm guessing you have a standard header and footer that you're adding to the text that your copying from the email. Close??

You'll have to post the details so i can follow this one. Are you able to copy and paste the macros, menus, procedural language for me to read and follow. Sounds like some good stuff to learn from. I'd like to see how your checking for the existence of a file and then adding the good html stuff to the text from the email in an automated fashion. I'm guessing you have a standard header and footer that you're adding to the text that your copying from the email. Close??

Okay, I could paste the code in here but one thing at a time... and you can ask specific questions if I'm not clear.

Your first question about checking for the existence of a file is with the Enable function @exist; the docs give
@EXIST("{DirectoryPath\FileName}")
as an example, it being a logical function [i.e. returning either a 1 or 0]. I don't need to put in the dir path since at the outset a macro makes the dir with the file the current dir.

As for turning the plain emailed text into an html formatted, some years back I designed the exact color shell -- first in Mozilla Composer, later in NVU, a Mozilla freebie -- and copy/pasted the html code into the Enable RPT script and tweaked it by placing the memo and other fields to fall exactly where they should.

As for a standard header/footer, not so. I spin Enable through various parts of the file looking for specific text like the author's name, date, etc. using the @match function. Lessee, I think you have a copy of the XXshell.RPT. Check out the liberal use of the @choose function to assign content to fields but I usually put in .input [fieldname] commands to confirm that the right data was chosen. It almost always is but in the odd chance it wasn't, I can correct it right at the .input prompt. The XXshell.RPT is what creates the report. I have another one called UPDATES.RPT that re-reads after XXshell creates it. Here's a sample out of UPDATES.RPT.

.read xx.htm first
_ .while @match(xx.c1l240,"Update") = 0
_ .read xx.htm next
_ .if xx.sys:record > 45
*************** HUH? NO DATE IN THE FIRST FORTY FIVE LINES *************
_ .getchar
_ .exit
_ .endif
_ .endwhile
.read xx.htm prior xx.c1l240 <>"" ;; possible location line
.read xx.htm prior xx.c1l240 <>"" ;; probable location line
.gosub sitefind
.if nn = 11
*****************Can't Find Site Name **********************************
.getchar
.exit
.endif

Enjoy!! Questions??? :rolleyes:/OAfurf

The exquisite EnableOA Spreadsheet

The exquisite EnableOA Spreadsheet

Suppose you want to set up [or enhance an already set up] Enable Spreadsheet to keep financial records for your client database and be able to access the unique record of each client using a topline Spreadsheet menu. This will enable you from the SS to write invoices, receipts, letters, notices, etc. for any client using a database script which can be called by a user-defined menu.

1. Set up an SS range in a hidden level several columns wide with the two end columns being the client's name and uniqueID.

2. Copy the data from the DB to the SS [display the two fields in the db and copy them onto the SS range]. Later you can write menu choices that will insert new clients at the proper place

3. Now starting with a topline SS menu but having ready a user-defined menu you're set to access and process a client starting from the SS, seeding the menu with the uniqueID from the SS. The menu will find the record and run a report against it.​

/OAfurf

Back