• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Not another one.

apple2fan

Experienced Member
I really want to discourage people from complaining about specific eBay auctions here. There are lots of screwy things going on in the world, and we really don't need to point out all of the eBay funnies here. It's just business, if you don't like what you see there turn the other way.

I think that if eBay does a major policy shift that is fair game, as a lot of us use eBay to acquire our machines and parts. But ranting about specific auctions just doesn't add anything to the collective knowledge.

That one wasn't a really fair comparison anyway, as one is in Kansas, and one is in Canada.

I'm one of the biggest whiners/bitchers, but ya can't compare those two directly.

As another aside, considering what the auction is for, those are REALLY BIG systems, very old and heavy, and it has a large+heavy CRT from what I recall. Knowing the value, I am assuming, also, that the seller is accounting for double-boxing, and making absolutely, positively sure it arrives in 1 piece.

T

Without critising specific auctions on eBay, I guess folks here know about bumping up the cost of Postage and Handling even though that cost margin isn't a true representation of what Postage and Handling would be to ship a product.

I haven't seen it myself cause I don't use eBay, though some people reckon it's been occurring here in Australia (not necessarily Computer products), though products in general.

The seller has a feedback rating of ZERO! It is obvious he/she is just starting out on ebay and must not know the finer intricacies of the shipping calculator.

Not only that, but has been registered since last May. I would stay away from it. Seller with no feedback, registered for a year and hasn't bought/sold anything... Nothing to loose....(on their part)

--Ryan

Not only that, but has been registered since last May. I would stay away from it. Seller with no feedback, registered for a year and hasn't bought/sold anything... Nothing to loose....(on their part)

--Ryan

Excellent point....
As the saying goes, and hoe eBay themselves say.... Caveat Emptor

T

So I see a Kaypro 10 listed - you guys know me, I'm a Kaypro NUT:
Kay 10 on fleaBay

ask the seller to send a picture of the back, and received this:
"Goodwill Policy only allows One picture per item.
Will a description of the back help? If so,let us know.
Thank You,
Goodwill Computers."

wtf?

T

They probably have so much to do, that their time only permits taking one picture of each item. However it is a bit funny if they'd have time to have a look and in words describe what they see.

I think I ran into the ultimate in non-error shipping ripoffs today.

I'm looking for some I/O shields for some 478 motherboards someone gave me so I can case them and give them to one of the organizations that gets the stuff that's too new to go on my site so they can get them to people who wouldn't have a computer otherwise.

You know the things I'm talking about. They look like the attached file. In fact that's exactly the one I'm looking for.

Anyway, they are just stamped light metal that would take a #10 envelope, some cardboard stiffeners and a couple of stamps to send anywhere in North America.

From California to Canada, they wanted 28 bucks US EACH for shipping. I think that may be a tad overpriced.

Attachments

• IOSHIELD1-LG.jpg
    IOSHIELD1-LG.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1
Well, especially considering Priority Mail International Flat-Rate to Canada is like $17 I think? Ya - a tad overpriced...but JUST a tad...

:confused:

T

Simple solution to your problem: Don't buy from that seller. In this case, the item must be almost as common as dirt, so unlike for some vintage items it isn't your only bet. I always check shipping costs if specified, at least domestic costs even if I'm living abroad. If the domestic costs for a particular item are thrice as high as comparable items from the same country, I can figure out the international costs would also be three times as high than usual. I keep seeing sellers from certain countries who are asking insane amounts of money for shipping, to the point they're giving their post office a bad name. People believe shipping from Spain, France and Italy are incredibly expensive while in practise they're lower than many other countries like UK or Sweden. But I don't complain on a forum, I just ignore bidding on a loose MSX cartridge that a Spanish seller is asking 20 Euros or more in shipping costs, when I can get the same cartridge from a Dutch seller for 4 Euros in shipping, or even less if they combine shipping.

I have no intention of buying from that seller, but, in keeping with the thread, which seems to be about exorbitant shipping costs, I thought the shipping price for an ounce of metal fit in.

Obviously, you didn't see it as complaining until my post.

Yes, I've seen the whole thread and other similar threads. It was more a general remark from me that rarely there is a reason to grind your teeth at those sellers who list items at impossible starting prices and/or overcharge shipping. We know it happens and as Mike Brutman pointed out, linking individual auctions (which you fortunately didn't) just to complain won't add any value to the VC Forum.

Back