• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable OA

Its around 20 years since I last wrote SS menus (and they are still in use today), but I never used them the way you are describing, can you elaborate on the specific SS code and setup that looks up the record with uniqueID and seeds the menu?
suthnsun

Back to the html a moment

Back to the html a moment

So you put html code into records in a dbf and then use the records that contain the html code to run throught a report that creates the new html file?? Crafty idea, and the searches for names, dates, etc challenges me at times. Most of that type of work takes several hours of bugging. If i have a consistent file where columns are predictable that's not too bad, but that random wandering around a file (html at that) can be a real challendge. I'm going to stick to the more standard stuff i think. With that said, i did take your comments and suggestions and added to our point of sale system an email at the time of purchase that creates an htm invoice file and uses sendemail to send a message body and attached invoice.htm to the customers office manager email that is very nice. The business owner/manager knows who bought what at our store before before their employee even gits out our door. :-D That's been a great customer relations adder to the system. It was simple as pasting the html code in the report and .ouput ascii on filename with the invoice fields put in the html code and a while loop for the number of items purchased. Bang, you have an html file to attach to sendemail and the customer is impressed.

Thanks for that one, I've add it to my Livestock System also for a lot or items rather than printing everything!!!

can you elaborate on the specific SS code and setup that looks up the record with uniqueID and seeds the menu?
suthnsun

The following collection of codes assembles the macro line which calls and seeds the menu. It deposits the newly assembled line in the very next SS cell and immediately executes it....

Code:
</xe@if(E:E16=3,"{&F9}F/xq","{Esc}
{Do Menu}CIM"&@IF(E:E16=2,"SE","DONOR")&".MNU~"&HOLDY&"~"&dbn&@if(addlabel>0,"{Down}A")&"/xq")~E:G13~

The above code is in cell E:G12 and can assemble one of two menus [CIMSE.MNU or CIMDONOR.MNU]. The HOLDY cell contains the uniqueID while the dbn cell contains the client's name. These two cells were seeded with prior code as the above code is in the middle of the process.

The E:G13 cell is the next cell and when I looked at the last execution, here's what I found in that cell.

Code:
{Esc}{Do Menu}CIMDONOR.MNU~mrior35270~Marie Riordan/xq

So, it escapes, calls the CIMDONOR menu, seeds the uniqueId into it,executes an Enter to go to the
next field [the only visible field] and seeds the client's name. The menu has popped so I can see the client name; I hit Enter and it runs the report [or whatever] against that client's record.

There's more code prior to this [to find the client on the SS by typing in 3 letters] but I'll let you ask about anything not quite clear. /OAfurf

added to our point of sale system an email at the time of purchase that creates an htm invoice file and uses sendemail to send a message body and attached invoice.htm to the customers office manager email that is very nice. It was simple as pasting the html code in the report and .ouput ascii on filename

That does sound nice MM11, my html education is totally stunted, I'll obviously have to rectify that...

create html file within OA report

create html file within OA report

It was actually this simple after FrFr explained it:

I created the html invoice in an any html editor to look like the finished invoice with headers, a couple mock lines of sales detail, totals, and footers. I then went to the view html code in the editor and copy/pasted the code into my OA report. I then edited the html code putting my dbf fields and local variables in where the mock text was sitting. Before the code started I placed:

.output screen off
.output ascii on f:\folder\folder\filename.htm

all the html code here

.output ascii close f:\folder\folder\filename.htm

then proceeded to use the sendemail to attach the filename.htm, a little message body was made in a different ascii file called message.txt and put in the email body, and out goes the email.

then

.output screen on

done!! Without the OA / Vintage group it wouldn't have happened!!

It was actually this simple after FrFr explained it:

done!! Without the OA / Vintage group it wouldn't have happened!!

But I also see you're a fast learner and good at what you do. But yes, Vintage is living up to its name for us old neanderthals. Like a good wine, the older the better. And so likewise with the Vintge Computer Forums. Bravo Vintage and its capable custodian, Vlad. /OAfurf

I created the html invoice in an any html editor to look like the finished invoice with headers,

Yeah, this is where my 'neanderthality' comes out, I won't look at new software unless I am forced to by some pressing need. I am getting better with windows-based editors though, so I might launch into it without too much detestation soon!

More on the beauty of OA Spreadsheets

More on the beauty of OA Spreadsheets

Just pulled up one of my many OA SSheets and thought I'd hang the topline menu out here to deepen the convolutions of the grey :D matter. Here's an opening topline menu complete with its second line elaboration. I'll move the cursor from left to right to show the explanation line [[except for PRINT and TAX which have no explanation line]]. Here goes in progressive succession:

Code:
[B][U]PAYMENT[/U][/B]  SAVE/QUIT  CHECKBOOK  BANK  PRINT  TAX  GIFTS  FLIP/WINDOW
Next Check No.= 397

Move to SAVE/QUIT

Code:
PAYMENT  [B][U]SAVE/QUIT[/U][/B]  CHECKBOOK  BANK  PRINT  TAX  GIFTS  FLIP/WINDOW
SAVE AND CLOSE   DO NOT CLOSE   QUIT

Move to CHECKBOOK

Code:
PAYMENT  SAVE/QUIT [U][B] CHECKBOOK [/B][/U] BANK  PRINT  TAX  GIFTS  FLIP/WINDOW
            What is the Bank Balance? »»

Move to BANK

Code:
PAYMENT  SAVE/QUIT  CHECKBOOK  [U][B]BANK[/B][/U]  PRINT  TAX  GIFTS  FLIP/WINDOW
VIEWS  REGISTER   SAVINGS   INCOME    CHARGEBACK   REWORK   YEARS'S END

Move to GIFTS

Code:
PAYMENT  SAVE/QUIT  CHECKBOOK  BANK  PRINT  TAX  [U][B]GIFTS[/B][/U]  FLIP/WINDOW
        Enter Three Letters »»

Move to FLIP/WINDOW

Code:
PAYMENT  SAVE/QUIT  CHECKBOOK  BANK  PRINT  TAX  GIFTS  [U][B]FLIP/WINDOW[/B][/U]
NEW WINDOW  DB UPDATE  SW  NINS  DOCS  REPEAT  FLIP

Questions anyone?? /OAfurf

Some OA teasers

Some OA teasers

A couple of teasers for you oldtime EnableOA neanderthals.....
EnableOA Database:
I know at the Enable WHERE prompt I can execute just about any .dot command [.input, .exec_dos, .output blah blah].
Suppose at any Enable dbms screen including DISPLAY, REPORT, ADD, EDIT [both at the system screen and at the actual $IF screen displayed for input or edit] screens I want an instant WHERE prompt without having to back out and navigate to the third line, i.e. to the WHERE line? What can I do to pop a WHERE prompt from just about anywhere? Of course such a prompt is not needed during a report script since the script itself is like one big WHERE prompt.​
EnableOA Spreadsheets:
Suppose I have a bunch of Spreadsheets that I frequently open and close for input, editing, etc. For example when the bank sends the reconciliation statements at the end of the month for all the various SSs accounts, how can I use the same reconciliation routines in all my SSs without embedding them as code in each SS? and ...
How can I open the next SS as I close out the current SS with a SS topline menu choice? And the next SS, and the next, and the n... e... x.... ??​
C'mon Enablers, you're supposed to know these OA goodies. /OAfurf

WHERE can you find a random WHERE

WHERE can you find a random WHERE

I'd like to know the source of this phantom :twisted: WHERE clause. May never use it, but it would enlighten my OA knowledge to possibly open other opportunites again.

Re: A couple of teasers

Re: A couple of teasers

DBMS
Many many options:
1) Use a shift/f9 in ADD/EDIT FORM DEFINITION
eg:
Enter prefield macro : {Menu}CUST.MC~
will allow a custom menu to be shift/f10 accessed.
eg:
Enter postfield macro : [.LET NC_DIR ="H:\DNC\GENERAL\"]
many data manipulation options
eg:
have a local defined Y/N entry field that can pull any of a range of additional data entry boxes, or temp open a new window to fill a predefined global variable.
eg:
conditional entry field that actually does back out of the input form transparently (Voff/Von), enter (multiple) WHERE info, always followed by an &F3, and returns to the input form.

You need to define which level of user (inc yourself) this is for.
For a rugged business app never use an input form; too easy to back out and screw things up.
Use a word processed report over a dummy database.
This will not only manipulate anything, but is more available to edits if quickly needed and keeps the operator constrained to the simple job in hand.
For personal use where data is not vulnerable/sensitive and the "rube goldberg" factor ("heath robinson" for the poms) is not an issue you need to define how much data (as total string length) you must enter at a time considering the character limit of the ADD/EDIT definition. If string is short it's easier and there are more options.

SS
Once again, several options, several basic decisions.
It seems you need to access 6+ ss with the same data.
If true, create a wp input routine that can write to all ss quickly.
I would preformat each ss first 3 rows to allow operation as a database:
eg:
ACNAME ACNUM
C N
40 5.0
You can then use locally defined variables to enter data, or global variables if you use menu style entries.
Either way keep in mind that each ss is locked open until the routine closes it, or is closed.
A beauty of the ss is that you can see data change as a cell is operated, useful for visual validation.
You lose this if you run such an external routine, but it will be fast.
You can also open each ss separately and have predefined variables entered from menu routines (or cell routines, which you say you don't want)
Enable can skin these critters many many ways.
How much time do you want to spend learning, writing code and entering data, or having a business client yank your patience because things don't work.
You figure your time requirements from all sides.
The trick is to maximize the time spent yachting.
(ok, golfing if you must)

cheers ~

I'd like to know the source of this phantom :twisted: WHERE clause. May never use it, but it would enlighten my OA knowledge to possibly open other opportunities again.

Hey MidMich!!! From any dbms system screen, try {F10}sw

-- whaddaya get? Works also with your record displayed via the DISPLAY screen and while In ADD or EDIT mode [i.e. where the $IF file is overlaid for adding or editing].

:jumping7:
:harp:How :whaasup: are things :eek:ha: in Traverse :toot: City :inlove:, de dum :eek:nfire::blush: de :lovecircle::love: dum....:violin:?? :jumping6:

/OAfurf

Bravo SSACO, I see you have plenty of OAsavvy. Didn't see your posting here until I had answered MidMich, so if you read my answer to him you can see how to pop a WHERE prompt from just about anywhere and eliminate the need to "back out" of an ADD/EDIT form.

Yes, a customized wpf form [in thogscave we call that an inport form which is a combo of input and report] is preferable to an $IF form except {F10}sw will work with $IF forms but not with the WPF form [well - you could freeze the WPF form with an .input field -- it will work without any parameters --, then open a second instance screen via {F9}M but that's laborious and not needed.]

eg:

Yes, I have used this method to interplay user-defined menus with an $IF form. Thanks for mentioning it. More about the SS later.

Are you in the OA thogs group? /OAfurf

DBMS
Many many options:
1) Use a shift/f9 in ADD/EDIT FORM DEFINITION
eg:
eg:
Enter postfield macro : [.LET NC_DIR ="H:\DNC\GENERAL\"]
many data manipulation options
eg:
have a local defined Y/N entry field that can pull any of a range of additional data entry boxes, or temp open a new window to fill a predefined global variable.
eg:
conditional entry field that actually does back out of the input form transparently (Voff/Von), enter (multiple) WHERE info, always followed by an &F3, and returns to the input form.

You need to define which level of user (inc yourself) this is for.
For a rugged business app never use an input form; too easy to back out and screw things up.
Use a word processed report over a dummy database.
This will not only manipulate anything, but is more available to edits if quickly needed and keeps the operator constrained to the simple job in hand.
For personal use where data is not vulnerable/sensitive and the "rube goldberg" factor ("heath robinson" for the poms) is not an issue you need to define how much data (as total string length) you must enter at a time considering the character limit of the ADD/EDIT definition. If string is short it's easier and there are more options.

EnableOA Wannabe, are you there?

EnableOA Wannabe, are you there?

Any EnableOA wannabe can have a free copy of one of the world's great pieces of software. Enable was used in the 90s for tracking the ordnance in the first Gulf War and was also used on the field computer of your friendly :p IRS agent when you were summoned for a review of your tax return.

There's a learning curve... but there's not much you can't do with Enable. With its
Code:
.exec_dos
command you can get it talking to other software, reading html files, sending faxes. It's got a rock solid scripting language [EnableOA .dot commands etc.]

You can have :cool: fun with it. /OAfurf

Invoice system for enable/oa

Invoice system for enable/oa

Just came across the 34 page manual for INVOICE/RECEIVABLE SYSTEM FOR ENABLE/OA Copyright 1989 SofTrain Inc. There are floppy disks for installing it but they're likely buried in some unpacked box as I've moved residence 4 times since 1999. I recall using this nifty EnableOA add-on during the early and mid-90s.

Written for Softrain by Donald W. Tallman, CPA and Alan L. MacAdams, SofTrain Inc. was at 4848 Loop Central Drive, Suite 110, Houston TX 77081, Phone: (713)664-3300.

There are 8 chapters and two appendices:

HTML:
1 - INTRODUCTION

2 - GETTING STARTED

3 - MAKING AN INVOICE

4 - FINDING AND EDITING INVOICES, CUSTOMER RECORDS, AND CUSTOMER INVOICE HISTORIES

5 - CREDIT MEMOS

6 - MAKING REPORTS, MAIL-MERGES, AND BATCH PRINTING

7 - IMPORTING CUSTOMER DATA

8 - OTHER FUNCTIONS

APPENDIX A - In Case of Technical Problems
APPENDIX B - Database Field Names

/OAfurf

I imagine it would all still work fine , perhaps with only minor tweaking to take account of Enable OA menu evolution, and if you added popup selection boxes it would probably still be a valid pre-modern-cutting-edge working application. It still amazes me how this ancient little piece of dos software is still running better than ever under windoze.

I imagine it would all still work fine , perhaps with only minor tweaking to take account of Enable OA menu evolution, and if you added popup selection boxes it would probably still be a valid pre-modern-cutting-edge working application. It still amazes me how this ancient little piece of dos software is still running better than ever under windoze.

What was that Peter has on the sign-on THOGS screen? Something about Enable OA will Never Die???

There are other 3rd Party Enable apps out there. Enable Software had a directory full of them and I'm in it somewhere.... it was a small booklet, sort of...

Also I just came across a batch of Enable Times, the newsletter. Remember any of them:sly:? /OAfurf

down here in deep suthnsunland things just filtered through gradually i'm afraid, I think we only heard there might be a new version a year or so after the event, so Enable Times would have definitely been too racey for us!

Somewhere, though, I do have a recollection of seeing something with that Enable guru chap, I've heard you mention him a few times (Randy?), perhaps that was the Enable Times?

OA Times

OA Times

I do recall the newsletter. That was when i was quite a novice and the Times spoke a bit over my head in certain areas. It's amazing how much you learn when you can't call support and get the direct answer to the question. Fumbling around really opens some opportunities. I've got NetCPlus using it's NetCFax server program running as a service on the Win2000 server and sending faxes from OA just like sending email (email was a lot easier - didn't need the $$$ for the program and simply worked). The .exec_dos does it all with the .output going to ASCii files. That really brought my system into the 22nd (yes 22nd) Century (i know the app will still be up and running then :-D ).

Hope everyone is having a GREAT summer (my plans are for August), it's been pretty quiet here and at Thogs!! :cool:

Enable Times, Spring 1992

Enable Times, Spring 1992

Okay, I picked the first newsletter on top of the stack and here are the various offerings within [date is in the title above].

:)ENABLE 4.5 SHIPS!

:pDatabase Seminars Launched

:-DSeminar Spotlight on Enable's New Products

;)THE COMPLETE REFERENCE

:mrgreen:NEW PRODUCT CORNER

:rolleyes:ANNOUNCING ENABLEOFFICE

plus Rep of the Quarter Award and ads from Microsolutions, Quail Creek's .dotScreen! and the Enable Internal Technical Bulletins [only 49.95 per year! it says]

I'll go through the other bulletins in due course... and yes, the chief online guru [on the Enable BBS] was Randy Brinson. Hey Randy, are you out there anywhere???

/OAfurf

Back