• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS Floppy Backup Shootout

none of them because floppies are even less reliable than 20 year old hard drives. :-D

nice comparisons on that link. i didn't expect an XT to be quite that fast. the next logical step is to figure out encoding times for a full length 90 minute movie in MPEG-2 DVD quality video

none of them because floppies are even less reliable than 20 year old hard drives. :-D

Hopefully you were kidding... I've been working with 5.25" floppies since 1980 and only 5 (of THOUSANDS) have gone bad on me. I have Microsoft Flight Simulator v1.0 for PC, the disk is 26 years old and it boots just fine...

I've had more 3.5" 1.44MB floppies go bad then 5.25" 360K, because the data is packed together more tightly on a 3.5" and "bleeds"/fades more easily.

Still, if you read the "shootout", it was geared from the perspective of what we're doing: Making nightly backups only, to make sure we don't lose our work (ie. our little projects that we're programming). I program on the actual hardware, for example. So: short-term only, regardless of how reliable you think floppies are :)

Back