• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple I on fleaBay

He might have ment the auction company when he said return it since he didn't buy it from the late Mr. Paterson (assuming there even was one), he bought it from who ever sold his stuff. But if he's such an Apple collector, why give it back and not keep it?

Its always fun to watch people get caught in their web of lies. Also this is why we can't have nice things.

Last edited:
I don't know if I buy that.

That mainboard looks like the one sold on eBay on June 8th, to an eBay member in Indiana, which is the location of that one being sold, coincidentally.

June 8th listing:
Linkage to clone

Listing we've been discussing:
Linkage to auction we've been discussing

If you look at the cassette interface, the labels are IDENTICAL, and actually mis-cut!!! You can also see in the second link, where someone obviously did something to the cassette interface to remove the text on it.

3-4 days between first auction ending, and second listing, and both being in Indiana, and then ignoring 12 hours of people sending him messages, and the seller saying he's been advised it's a copy so bid at your risk AT $10000 DOLLARS, I do believe it was a scam attempt.

T

Woah, thats interesting. Why etch the writing off the cassette interface though? It didn't look like it said anything that would show its a clone.

Also, whats up with that monitor he was trying to sell with it? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before.

This is the photo from the original auction of the clone:

3.jpg

Here is the picture of the cassette adapter after someone "washed" it, and you can see how the upper right corner shows evidence of tampering: Alcohol, something similar - almost took the green completely off!

f924_1.JPG

In the listing (not of the clone) the seller claims "limited knowledge," yet he just HAPPENS to have an "ACSII keyboard?"
Um, hello - I've been doing computers since about 1981, I have a collection, I LOVE CP/M machines.
Guess what? *I* don;t have a freaking ASCII keyboard - oh, but wait, the clone sold on June 8 happened to include a...
<drum roll>

Yup - ASCII keyboard.

Now, fine, he's selling it, has limited knowledge, so, then, um, why is the ASCII keyboard not included?
What plans has he got for it?

T

Last edited:
Hi
He has a story and it is the same machine. The claim is that a third party
bought the board and then sold it at an estate auction as an Apple I.
The seller states that he bought it, thinking to make a few bucks.
He later realized that it was the same unit that was purchased by his friend
that sold it to the middle fellow.
That is his story. He claims that a report has been filed. It would be
great if someone local could check out the story.
Dwight

Strange how ALL THAT STUFF happened, in just 96 hours!!!

Bought from eBay, then received, then sold in an estate sale, then listed on eBay?

Man - I find that REEEEEALLY hard to believe

T

Hi
It would make a great story for some local news paper.
Fraud of this sort usually only happens to art work. This
is most likely a first for a computer board.
There must be someone close that could get a local
news paper interested.
Dwight

relisted

relisted

It's been relisted and now includes an ASCII Keyboard.

It is now listed as "what many experts believe to be a reproduction of which 150 were made" and the buy it now is $4995.

Anybody want to buy my Replica 1? I'll let it go for $666. :)

Mike

Hmm...

Got a link?

He told I think EvanK, that his "friend" gave him $1500 for it...

Story continues unfolding.....

T

Last edited:
Possible Interview on RetroMacCast

Possible Interview on RetroMacCast

I've been in contact with the seller and he has agreed to be on our next episode to set the record straight. It should be up next week at www.retromaccast.com.

GMH: I suspected as such, although the folks on the CCTalk list brought the original listing to my attention to begine with...sharp group of guys over there :)

RMC: Man, you had better go visit Outdoor World / Bass Pro Shops, and get the TALLEST waders you can get, because it's going to be piled...

REALLY HIGH

At some point, he told someone (EvanK I think?) that his friend "Mike" was buying it from him at a "loss" for $1500, but in his current auction for the FreeStyle, he answers someone's question, and signs off with the name "Mike" as well.

Something is strange over there, and I would gamble good money that those two accounts are one and the same.

T

...his friend "Mike" was buying it from him...

Actually, that was Mark, not Mike.

So let's see, if I follow the story he gave to Evan correctly, the replica was purchased for $927 by his buddy who owns the account Maceffects (which a little googling shows is owned by Mark xxxXXXxxx). It then went to an estate sale where he bought it tried to sell it under his account Technologyrecycling (which, as you point out, has comments signed by someone named "Mark"). When he realized it was not an original, he pulled the auction and then sold it to someone in town named "Mark" for $1500.

I think the only reasonable conclusion we can draw is that everyone in NW Indiana is named Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, that was Mark, not Mike.

So let's see, if I follow the story he gave to Evan correctly, the replica was purchased for $927 by his buddy who owns the account Maceffects (which a little googling shows is owned by Mark xxxXXXxxx). It then went to an estate sale where he bought it tried to sell it under his account Technologyrecycling (which, as you point out, has comments signed by someone named "Mark"). When he realized it was not an original, he pulled the auction and then sold it to someone in town named "Mark" for $1500.

I think the only reasonable conclusion we can draw is that everyone in NW Indiana is named Mark.

I stand corrected....

Hehe - all of which transpired in about 100 hours?

Oh, and don't forget, 'Mark' bought it from him for $1500 "at a loss," yet he now has it again, on sale on eBay.

:huh:

T

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we can safely say his credibility is shot. The convoluted Apple I story just doesn't hold water.

Caveat Emptor.

Andrew Lynch

I stand corrected....

Hehe - all of which transpired in about 100 hours?

Oh, and don't forget, 'Mark' bought it from him for $1500 "at a loss," yet he now has it again, on sale on eBay.

:huh:

T

It should be noted that he needed some time to remove the marks on the boards
that indicated that it was not an original.
Dwight

Wow. Good sleuth work you guys. It's gonna be so difficult to get some of these older systems no adays because of these increasing issues. Atleast the replica's indicate they are such while still looking the same which is nice. (Thanks Grant and Andrew)

Back