• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ADTPro question (also may be hardware related)

nblsavage

Experienced Member
I got my replacement Disk II yesterday and was attempting to bootstrap my Apple II+ using ADTPro. I managed to get ProDOS copied but when I attempted to send the ADTPro serial client it kept going to 42 blocks and then hanging/timing out. The drive I replaced with my new Disk II was fried by a bad cable and now I'm wondering if it's possible my controller card got damaged also.

Probably not. Apple drive controllers were nice that way. They either worked or they were toast.

I don't recall if you can use the second connector and force a boot from that or not although someone else might know for sure.

Last edited:
Hi, nblsavage -

Does your Apple II+ happen to have an accelerator (i.e. ZipChip) in it? If so, disable that. Also, can you try sending the client at one step slower (i.e. 115k -> 9600)?

Nope - no Zip chip. I'll try dropping the speed. Also I've noticed another odd things. A ADTPro client disk that I created (and verified as working) using the old drive won't load using the new drive. The drive light will just stay lit and the Apple will just hang at "APPLE ]["

Well, after going through the bootstrapping procedure again, I realize I misinformed you. My timeout problem happens when I'm trying to create a client floppy. I've also notced that when I try to format a floppy, it appears to work but the (F)ormat screen still shows the disk status as "no disk". I'm starting to think my "new" drive is a big old lemon. In fact it looks like I just verified that. I had a copy of the C64 version of "Kung Fu Master" which also has an Apple II version on the opposite side and it wouldn't boot either. Looks like I shouldn't have bitten on an "as-is" auction.

Well, I've confirmed that both drives are toast without IC repacement. I've got a line on the non-apple drive part but I'm trying to find a decent source for a HD74LS125AP.

Small flatblade screwdriver! Actually, I have a device called a chip lifter. It is like a screwdriver, but sharper edge, and it has a bend to it so you can get under the chip at the right angle and lift up the chip. I prefer it to a puller personally.

Vince

I give up

I give up

Well after replacing the fried chips in both drives, they still don't work. The Disk II works a little more than it had. (When I try to (F)ormat under ADTPro it shows as I/O Error rather than No Disk as it had before). I also cleaned the heads on both drives. So I'm shelving this project until a known good drive falls in to my lap. Thanks for all the advice.

Well after replacing the fried chips in both drives, they still don't work. The Disk II works a little more than it had. (When I try to (F)ormat under ADTPro it shows as I/O Error rather than No Disk as it had before). I also cleaned the heads on both drives. So I'm shelving this project until a known good drive falls in to my lap. Thanks for all the advice.

You might want to try a speed adjust.

I have a known good Apple II+, Disk II and controller card (plus most or all of the ICs on the Disk II boards) and the experience to fix them. I also have the diagnostics to test them.

If you want them tested and/or repaired, send me the drive boards. My rates are fairly reasonable.

I decided maybe my Transwarp card is causing a malfunction so I pressed ESCAPE on start up to disable it. Hope this helps.

I noticed alot of times my XP computer would freeze with the blue screen as I was trying to bootstrap. I just turn the computer off and try rebooting again...

I'm using the USB to serial cable with the driver I found on Retro Floppy and the GS end is hooked up with the modem port. Going to try for an hour more and if that doesn't work I'll try tommorrow. Attempting ProDOS bootstrap with a ProDOS disk in the 5.25 drive.

Oh wow! Finally loaded the ADT Pro client on the Apple. Sent a request and...

EDIT: I'm at work just learned a better way to disable Transwarp (from a manual).

At the ] type "10 poke 49268," after the comma you can type 3 (disable), 1 (slow to 1mhz), or 0 (enable full speed).

EDIT: I notice my RAM settings were a little weird.

Select RAM disk size 0k.
-Largest selectable 3968k.

-RAM Status
RAM Disk Size 0k
Total RAM in use 84k.
Total Free RAM 4139k

Anyway, I set RAM disk size to 64k. Hope that does something beneficial.

Last edited:
I decided maybe my Transwarp card is causing a malfunction so I pressed ESCAPE on start up to disable it. Hope this helps.

I noticed alot of times my XP computer would freeze with the blue screen as I was trying to bootstrap. I just turn the computer off and try rebooting again...

I'm using the USB to serial cable with the driver I found on Retro Floppy and the GS end is hooked up with the modem port. Going to try for an hour more and if that doesn't work I'll try tommorrow. Attempting ProDOS bootstrap with a ProDOS disk in the 5.25 drive.

Oh wow! Finally loaded the ADT Pro client on the Apple. Sent a request and...

EDIT: I'm at work just learned a better way to disable Transwarp (from a manual).

At the ] type "10 poke 49268," after the comma you can type 3 (disable), 1 (slow to 1mhz), or 0 (enable full speed).

EDIT: I notice my RAM settings were a little weird.

Select RAM disk size 0k.
-Largest selectable 3968k.

-RAM Status
RAM Disk Size 0k
Total RAM in use 84k.
Total Free RAM 4139k

Anyway, I set RAM disk size to 64k. Hope that does something beneficial.

Actually the RAM Disk size has absolutely nothing to do with being able to transfer disk images between your PC and GS.

After finding out how to disable the Transwarp GS were you able to bootstrap ADTPro over to the GS?

DEan

After finding out how to disable the Transwarp GS were you able to bootstrap ADTPro over to the GS?

DEan

Once, but it froze when I selected the "V" option. I guess it was trying to read my hard drive or something & got hung up.

I did manage to load EsDOS then the EsADT client & it remained stable on my GS for a few mins. Asking for Directory didn't give back results (even ADT itself doesn't seem to be able to display any disk images in the DISKS folder when that is set to working directory). Asking it to send, it complained it wasn't compatible with "host." Hrm.

Back