• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

QUIKSERV v1.1 RC1 - now HTTP and FTP

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
hello again fellow retro-nerds! i've done a ton of work on the QUIKSERV program i first posted about a week ago. here's the current feature list:

- now fully supports FTP (active and passive) in addition to HTTP
- 16 concurrent sessions, 8 FTP + 8 HTTP
- FTPUSERS.INI file that lets you edit usernames, passwords, permissions, and home folders
- transparent virtual hosting support! yep, based on the "Host" line in the HTTP request header from the browser. if you set up a CNAME on your domain, you can have QUIKSERV use a unique document root path for each (up to 100) - for example you could have mike.example.com requests serve from c:\mike\ while it has steve.example.com requests served from c:\steve\ even though both domains resolve to the same IP
- all activity can be monitored in real-time on screen
- you can modify how many instances of each server type will run, dropping the number will increase performance on really old systems
- optional activity logging to file

the executable is a reasonable 92 KB, and the source code is included in the package. now it's nice to have even if you don't want to run a web server. if you just have vintage PC's with some way to get on your LAN, the FTP server makes it about the easiest way to move files back and forth. :)

i'd love to get bug reports, there's probably something i missed. all i know is if i see one more line of code tonight i'm offing myself. let me know what you guys think! make sure you read the readme.txt and go through all the INI files to get everything configured correctly.

download link:
http://www.rubbermallet.org/qsv11rc1.zip (105 KB)

I have problems getting my network to work.

I got my Packet-driver installed (at port 0x61), and I've tried to get ntcpdrv to work. (note, I'm just planning to get this to work in a LAN. the computer is conected to a router.) I don't have PBOOT, so my question is: What should I set as IP adresses?

let me know the IP address of your router and i'll give you some numbers that should work.

sure. if your router is in the 192.168.x.x range, like most, your netmask is 255.255.255.0

There doesn't seems to be any activity between my PC and the router... What might be causing this?

I got the HTTP part to work, but I couldn't figure how to set up the FTP part.
Anyways, thanks for the help. Now, I don't need to spend thousands of floppies and a lot of time to back-up stuff.

all you have to do is edit the FTPUSERS.INI file in notepad or edit or whatever. it's easy to make an account.

in fact, since it's only on your LAN you don't have to really worry about security. put this line in your FTPUSERS.INI file at the top:

Code:
admin,*,rwdn,c:\

the * means it'll accept any password, so just connect to it with username admin, and you can access the entire C drive. :)

Speaking of just being on the LAN. The myip entry in quikserv.ini states it should be my real internet ip. Why is that? I tried it with the machines LAN ip and that works too. Would you clarify please.

PS: So far everyting works here. Great work!

Speaking of just being on the LAN. The myip entry in quikserv.ini states it should be my real internet ip. Why is that? I tried it with the machines LAN ip and that works too. Would you clarify please.

PS: So far everyting works here. Great work!

that will work for passive mode FTP transfers just locally on your LAN, but if somebody from the internet tried passive mode then they wouldnt be able to connect for the data download because QUIKSERV has to be able to give your internet IP to the client first.

glad it's working, and thanks! :D

WHOA! the readme.txt i wrote explains NTCPDRV.EXE usage wrong. gotta do it this way:

Code:
SET IP=x.x.x.x
SET NETMASK=x.x.x.x
SET GATEWAY=x.x.x.x
NTCPDRV.EXE x.x.x.x 28

where the x.x.x.x after ntcpdrv.exe is just your IP again. sorry about any problems that caused.

the ntcpdrv readme says the way i put in readme.txt should work, but in practice... it doesn't for some reason.

I was a little fast in stating that "everything" worked. :) The http works as before, and I can log into FTP but ... here is what I get:
Code:
ftp> ls
200 Command okay.
150 File status okay; about to open data connection.
And there it stays - also with the dir command. The "help" and "pwd" work fine.
When I abort the client I get this:
Code:
receive aborted
waiting for remote to finish abort
425 Can't open data connection.-1 0
I've gone over and over the INI files. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Back