• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Jupiter Ace and then some

Zeela

Experienced Member
A couple of old computers arrived at my place today!

A regular ZX Spectrum...

A Z88 portable computer

A Jupiter Ace!!! Now that's something I've been wanting for a while now.

And a Fuller Box for the Spectrum. For enhanced sound and such...

I'm quite happy with this. Now I only need to find out what kind of power the Jupiter needs.

That is so very cool, Zeela !! I was just thinking about the Jupiter Ace a couple of days ago, that I'd eventually like to try one out. Please let us know how it works out for you, once you get it up and running. FORTH always seemed like an interesting language and I found it interesting that it was the built-in language for this particular system, as opposed to BASIC.

Most seasoned Forth programmers however probably regretted the Jupiter Ace was another tape based machine with a slightly outdated Forth version IIRC. It is great for leading newbies into the language but perhaps not so much for developing own software. Then again, with the rubber keyboard on the Jupiter - pretty much the same quality as a ZX Spectrum (I've tried both simultaneously) - it was obviously never meant to be a semi-professional system.

Now, a computer in the size of a C64, Atari XL, Apple II etc equipped with Forth may be a different matter. Most or all of these had optional Forth environments so if you were eager you could still taste the language. For example such a big commercial program as Calc Result Advanced (Datatronic, for PET and C64) is written in Forth. For practical purposes (not possible to compile Forth programs?), the program comes with the full Forth environment in the background. One can break out of Calc Result and end in Datatronic's Forth, actually a newer version than what they sold standalone.

Hi
I'm almost sure the Ace has a regulator in it. That would mean
that a 6-9v DC wall wort should work. You might want to check
the polarity. The outer one is usually ground but is simple
check with an ohm meter would confirm that.
I have one in storeage but won't be able to look at it until
after Nov 3 ( going on a trip ).
I also have the demonstration tape that came with it.
some place I have a schematic for swapping the wires from
a ZX80/81 16K RAM module to add to it but unless you intend
to need a lot of data space, it is unlikely that you'll use all
the internal memory. Forth is very fugal with memory space.
I once wrote a complicated embedded system application
once. I left the interpreter/compile in it for debug. When
done, it was less than 20K total ( about 12K for my application
that included a user interface ). I didn't use the ACE, it
was a Z80 standard but and a custom user interface.
Dwight

This page says the Jupiter Ace takes 9V DC 800 mA or better. Plus on the tip:
http://www.jupiter-ace.co.uk/hardware_pinouts.html

It should be the same plug/configuration as the ZX printer in case you have one of those. The printer delivers more current but at the same voltage, which is suitable if you would come across some expansion cards for the Jupiter Ace, as the original PSU may not be powerful enough.

If you feel for some soldering, here is a way to get composite video from the Jupiter Ace:
http://www.jupiter-ace.co.uk/hardware_ebvdoboard.html

Back