• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: 8-bit ISA 3.5 inch Floppy Controller

JollyRogers

My XT could use a 3 1/2 " floppy controller to help me transfer files from my modern machines to it. Some quick googling/Ebaying turned up nothing promising in my price range. (80 dollars is alot to put in to a 40 dollar computer with a 75 dollar keyboard...)

Im in the province of Ontario, so something located in north america would be fantastic.

JR

If you find a 16-bit ISA FDD/HDD controller, you could use that. As of I know, the upper 8 bits sticking out (not connected) are only used for 16-bit HDD access (not for FDD access).

Yes, as others said it is much more cost effective to use a 16-bit multi I/O controller from a 486 system. I use one of these in my XT to drive a 1.44meg 3.5" drive. Normally it will operate as a 360k or 720k drive (depending on your XT's BIOS revision)

In addition to this, I use a little utility called 2M v3.0. This software includes a special TSR for XT systems that will emulate an AT BIOS and allow you to use your 3.5" drive as a 1.44meg drive as long as you use the 16-bit controller.

My personal preference are the 16-bit multi i/o controllers that use the Winbond chip.

Yes, as others said it is much more cost effective to use a 16-bit multi I/O controller from a 486 system. I use one of these in my XT to drive a 1.44meg 3.5" drive. Normally it will operate as a 360k or 720k drive (depending on your XT's BIOS revision)

In addition to this, I use a little utility called 2M v3.0. This software includes a special TSR for XT systems that will emulate an AT BIOS and allow you to use your 3.5" drive as a 1.44meg drive as long as you use the 16-bit controller.

My personal preference are the 16-bit multi i/o controllers that use the Winbond chip.

yep. i've never heard of the 2M utility, but i simply boot my 8088's with Caldera DR-DOS (i use 7.03 but i've tested this successfully down to 7.01) and it has built-in 1.44 MB support no matter what the system's actual BIOS does.

I'm not familiar with that particular Goldstar chip. I have a Goldstar Prime II controller a 386 machine, and it also seems to be pretty good. I'm not sure if it works in an 8-bit slot though, since I've never tried.

I actually do have an 8-bit FDC controller (GSI Model 11), that has a connector for 2.88 MB drives and another connector for everything else.

It seems to have it's own on-board BIOS and I've seen it mentioned in the same sentence as the Compaticard.

Rumour has it that it will also do SD work (most of the time).

I haven't actually had a chance to test it out, but, it's in the pile.

Back