free 486 webspace lol

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
hey guys, i set up a 486 DX2/100 with:
-nice big hard drive
-latest debian 'etch'
-Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) PHP/5.2.0-8+etch13
-latest mySQL stable release

it's now my permanent dedicated webserver..
http://home.rubbermallet.org

(give it a sec, the main site is with the Drupal PHP content management script.. there's a vbulletin forum on there too!)

i also do virtual hosting, here's a few online friends' pages i'm hosting:
http://superdos.rubbermallet.org
http://matthacker.rubbermallet.org
http://linuxlove.rubbermallet.org

but anyway, i'm offering free webspace and a virtual hosting subdomain to anybody that wants it. plenty of free disk space, and you get FTP access.

you will see anything dealing with mySQL is pretty slow on it, but it works. pure PHP is pretty quick, and just downloading static files(.html, images, video, etc) are practically instant. it saturates my 1 mbps upload bandwidth cap! i get about 250 KB/s internally on my LAN from it.

i'm also working on setting up a webmail system with squirrelmail+postfix+dovecot (and it'll have POP3/IMAP/SMTP access support as well)

Nice!! That is actually not bad at all... Even vBulletin renders at bearable speeds.

BTW, I think the BIOS might be old and unable to properly identify the processor. It is possible that whenever it detects any sort of internal CPU clock multiplier it automatically labels it as a DX2.

OR... A very...VERY strange thing that could be happening is that you have an actual 50mhz motherboard (used with DX/50 CPUs, which were equally rare), with a DX2/66 Processor... Since the multiplier leverages the external clock, it ends up running at 100mhz.

Who knows... Either way, that's really cool you can host a web server on one of those. :-D

About ~10 or 11 years ago i had redhat 5.2 w/ apache running a web server on a a 486 sx-33 w/ 4 mb's of ram hehehehe ... maybe it was 8... i think it was 4

About ~10 or 11 years ago i had redhat 5.2 w/ apache running a web server on a a 486 sx-33 w/ 4 mb's of ram hehehehe ... maybe it was 8... i think it was 4

wow that's pushing it on the RAM lol!

i bet it was quick though. dynamic pages are horrible on a 486, but static files are extremely fast.

Nice!! That is actually not bad at all... Even vBulletin renders at bearable speeds.

BTW, I think the BIOS might be old and unable to properly identify the processor. It is possible that whenever it detects any sort of internal CPU clock multiplier it automatically labels it as a DX2.

OR... A very...VERY strange thing that could be happening is that you have an actual 50mhz motherboard (used with DX/50 CPUs, which were equally rare), with a DX2/66 Processor... Since the multiplier leverages the external clock, it ends up running at 100mhz.

Who knows... Either way, that's really cool you can host a web server on one of those. :-D

one of these days i'll pull the heatsink off the chip and see exactly what it is. it's an old IBM system, i forget the model number. i found it 3 years ago on somebodys curb with the trash. :)

i rescued it from certain doom, and thus i have a special bond with it. i love it, and it loves me.

is it just me or is vbulletin faster than the drupal content manager?? anyway, the offer for free webspace is still alive if anybody wants it. :)

one of these days i'll pull the heatsink off the chip and see exactly what it is. it's an old IBM system, i forget the model number. i found it 3 years ago on somebodys curb with the trash. :)

i rescued it from certain doom, and thus i have a special bond with it. i love it, and it loves me.

is it just me or is vbulletin faster than the drupal content manager?? anyway, the offer for free webspace is still alive if anybody wants it. :)

That's the way I got my first computer too (The 486 SX I've made some posts about earlier, the one with CD-ROM [actually PnP] problems etc..).

Back