• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sega!!!!!

facattack

Veteran Member
I went to Neshaminy Mall earlier this week & was pleasantly surprised that a newer store had Dreamcast games on stock. Unfortunately the sales clerk stated they cost $19 each. Yikes! That's okay because the Sony Playstation games (PSone) were $3 each unless it was considered "rare."

This sparked some muddy memories I had of playing my old Sega consoles back in the day. (I ofcourse own a NES, SNES model 2, DS, N64, and Game Cube so I'm not biased.) But specifically speaking of Sega, I sorta got custody of my brother's Genesis after he moved out of my parent's house. After that I bought a Sega CD model 2 to go with it at Toys R Us. I even bought a Sega Saturn with Netlink shortly after it became obsolete. I have a bunch of games complete in boxes for both consoles. I bought the Dreamcast in 1999.

Anyway, I purchased a PSone finally after getting the Japanese version of what is known in the US as "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night." The Dreamcast was an awesome game to have & it wasn't limited by its 56k modem. By 2000 there were lots of networkable games to play.

The numerous PS2 games I have bought all seemed rather bland. I rarely if ever play my Xbox and my new PS3 doesn't much seem to have much "new" in store for me. But I archived all my PSone game saves onto the hard drive of the PS3 so I can play my old PSone games again.

Despite having "inferior" graphics, Sewer Shark (Sega CD), Dragon Force (Saturn), and Skies of Arcadia (DC & Game Cube) ROCK!

Hrm. I had mostly hoped this to be a talk about Sega. Darn.

Sega is the bomb, for sure. I love my Genesis and it stays hooked up to the TV for good, now! I break out the DC and PS1 sometimes (will break out the DC more once my main computer gets running) but don't have a lot of games for either yet. I don't have a Sega CD and if I don't get more room probably never will. I have more than enought o keep me busy, though.

Also just found out about this:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5663

and really like it. Portable gaming for me is a necessity, with all the lines I end up waiting in.

Nathan

i absolutely <3 my sega genesis, but i lost a number of my games... all i have left is sonic 2 and super street fighter 2 new challengers edition. (both awesome games though)

oh i also have monopoly for it. horrible!

I really like the Sega stuff. Heck I didn't even know about the Sega Master System until maybe four years ago, and that system predates the Genesis/MegaDrive. Always loved the RPG's on Sega like Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Shining Wisdom. In fact, when I was out picking that Apple IIGS system up today, I found a copy of "Lunar Silver Star Story" for the Sega CD for only $10, which was a steal, in my opinion. Snagged 'er right away.

You're right, "Skies of Arcadia" was really cool, I played that one on Dreamcast. Loved it.

Ah, that Japanese machine is okay, I guess. But Sega released a portable system called "Nomad" that played full-size Genesis cartridges with its own LCD. It also could be hooked up to a TV set with AV cables. Cooler than that is you could hook it up to a TV & have a friend hook up his controller to your Nomad so you could play two player games. :D

Or another solution was the CD-X. Although it didn't come with a screen it was a portable Genesis & Sega CD system. Heck, nearly everyone has a TV so you don't need to lug that around. JVC released a similar solution called "JVC X'Eye" but it might have taken up a little more space.

Back to Game Cube a moment, Panasonic released a Game Cube/ DVD Player combo called the "Q." Now that's something I wouldn't owning! Too bad it's just an import. However earlier today I was using my Game Cube plus the Game Boy Player accessory to play some Game Boy games. :D Nintendo should have made the Wii GBA or DS compatible so you could stick cartridges in it to play your old games.

I may get a Panasonic Q one of these days. It just looks cool, plus I wouldn't mind finishing up my US and Japanese Gamecube collections.

The Q is a neat machine, and maybe one day I'll have the spare fuinds for something like that! Till then, I'll get the replacement case and modchip for my GC and enjoy full sized disc movies and glowing led's.

Had my third Genesis model 1 come in today, this one will be modded with the overclock chip to make it run at 10mhz, switchable back to 7.xx, and a color change led from red to blue. Led panel, not just the led itself, it promises to be a really neat project!

Nathan

I finally got a copy of Sonic III recently, thus completing my genesis Sonic collection. (if you don't mind the lack of Sega CD)

So yeah, 16-bit Micheal Jackson music blasting through my speakers until I got this one beat.

My Uncle had (probably still got it) a Sega Master System 2 - wasn't a bad little system either - I guess since I don't collect much Computer stuff nowadays that's the place to be if you're into Consoles based stuff. I'm puzzled though why systems like Master System, Master System 2 are forgotten consoles.

Sega was always a step above other systems in terms of what they could do. Their biggest problem was just doing that. From what I have heard from professionals and homebrewers was that that sega's systems were very hard to program mostly because of sega's lack of support to game makers.
This lead to alot of subpar ports and even the better made game never took full advantage of the system.

I love my dreamcast. I just wish sega gave it more love here in the states. It could have gone toe to toe with PS2 like it did in other parts of the world.

Joe

Oh absolutely! What sold me on the Dreamcast was watching a couple of kids playing "NFL2K" at a kiosk in a Kaybee toystore. So much better than any Madden game at the time. NFL2K just totally blew me away, the players looked so much more lifelike.

ashbourn wrote:

Sega was always a step above other systems in terms of what they could do. Their biggest problem was just doing that. From what I have heard from professionals and homebrewers was that that sega's systems were very hard to program mostly because of sega's lack of support to game makers.

So what I'm assuming when you say this is, while Sega systems had many potential features to their systems - a great deal of it was undocumented or Sega kept Programming tricks to their systems locked up.

This lead to alot of subpar ports and even the better made game never took full advantage of the system.

It's an interesting point, though it's also been the case for many other systems - where people have been improving on something to do, long after a system has lost it's comercial value. Unsure how capable every Sega Master System 2 box was at archieving full potential, though sometimes on other systems little hardware differences could lead to problems on programs which except to find a certain piece of hardware (usually video based) chip, or writing a piece of programming where Timing is critical - tends to be a bit extreme for my liking (programming to the timer sounds horribly tedious to me!).

I love my dreamcast. I just wish sega gave it more love here in the states. It could have gone toe to toe with PS2 like it did in other parts of the world.

I guess the next question now - because consoles are consoles which are telly driven is how far can a Console really go?
A TV screen can only go so far in terms of resolution and it just seems now that consoles like the Playstation 3 and the latest Xbox take full advantage of a Digital TV set. Perhaps I'm mistakin though regardless of size those TVs sets only go as high as 1440x1080 (or some ridiculous resolution) - or is this the thing where Digital TV sets continue to push through new Resolution boundaries?

i absolutely <3 my sega genesis, but i lost a number of my games... all i have left is sonic 2 and super street fighter 2 new challengers edition. (both awesome games though)

oh i also have monopoly for it. horrible!

Never had a Sega game console, but I was stupid enough to buy Monopoly for my PlayStation (original). As Mike Chambers so eloquently put it: "horrible!" :D

You good folks need to stop paying for rubbish and try Freeware instead!

You good folks need to stop paying for rubbish and try Freeware instead!

DoctorPepper wrote:

Never had a Sega game console, but I was stupid enough to buy Monopoly for my PlayStation (original). As Mike Chambers so eloquently put it: "horrible!" :D

There's a very good DOS -FREEWARE- version of Monopoly out there, the only crunch is I cannot remember where I downloaded it from & it required extended memory to run (the EXE file was over 640k). Gamehippo might have it though - or your nearest Freeware games dealer website! :-D

Oh absolutely! What sold me on the Dreamcast was watching a couple of kids playing "NFL2K" at a kiosk in a Kaybee toystore. So much better than any Madden game at the time. NFL2K just totally blew me away, the players looked so much more lifelike.

Hehe. What sold me on that console was seeing the demo for the first stage of Sonic Adventure. I bought the game & its sequel and I have to say that the first stage is the best. Too bad the others pailed in comparisson & what's up with wandering around trying to get the next story segment to load up?

I guess the next question now - because consoles are consoles which are telly driven is how far can a Console really go? [/FONT]
A TV screen can only go so far in terms of resolution and it just seems now that consoles like the Playstation 3 and the latest Xbox take full advantage of a Digital TV set. Perhaps I'm mistakin though regardless of size those TVs sets only go as high as 1440x1080 (or some ridiculous resolution) - or is this the thing where Digital TV sets continue to push through new Resolution boundaries?

I don't think there'd be a huge difference on vintage consoles but it may be worth checking out, but atleast with my friends DreamCast I told him to hook it up to his Commodore monitors. We were playing the new Metroid game and from TV to Commodore monitor (higher res) it was almost like a new console system, like it'd be a dreamcast 2 or something.

Was incredibly better than their big screen TV.

Still have my Sega 3-D Master System and Sega Genesis. NES can't touch them when it comes the color. The NES display always looked washed out in comparison.
I never bought too many cartridges for either when new. Now that games cartridges are so cheap I've been aquiring those I couldn't afford back in the day.
Unfortunately the sales clerk stated they cost $19 each. Yikes!
Considering what they cost when new I wouldn't balk too much at that price.

$19 boxed with the manual sounds okay.

Has anyone seen all the neat Genesis things coming from Brazil?? A white cart-less system with 80-something built in games, I think four different handhelds (okay, not all from Brazil), and other various stuff that's out there now? I do believe retro Sega is making a come back.

I'm kinda stoked about this right now, my copy of Beggar Prince just got to me, and have to wait to play it till tomorrow! ARGH!

Nathan

Back