• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tseng ET4000 Eisa card

Amigaz

Experienced Member
P1010390.JPG

Recently got the above card along with another two Eisa gfx cards and a pile of Eisa arcnet and novell network cards I'm going to get rid of unless someone here is interested in them

Have tried the above card in both my Eisa machines (before one of the died on me) but got no output from it.
There's two jumpers on the card that might help but have found no documentation on the internet about this card....it seems like this card fell under the early 90's "no name hardware policy" :mad:

Also got a couple of Adaptec AHA-2744W Eisa SCSI cards which are packed with resistors you have to fiddle with to get them working in different modes

P1010396.JPG

Interesting. I have two of the AHA 2742 cards, but they don't have those terminator packs all over them. I'm not sure if LVD is really worth going to that much trouble just for extra cable length.

Interesting. I have two of the AHA 2742 cards, but they don't have those terminator packs all over them. I'm not sure if LVD is really worth going to that much trouble just for extra cable length.

That could be a HVD card (which would not be labled as such untill LVD came out and they had to specify the difference).

...Recently got the above card along with another two Eisa gfx cards and a pile of Eisa arcnet and novell network cards I'm going to get rid of unless someone here is interested in them

Have tried the above card in both my Eisa machines (before one of the died on me) but got no output from it.
There's two jumpers on the card that might help but have found no documentation on the internet about this card....it seems like this card fell under the early 90's "no name hardware policy"...

It´s not EISA, more like an OPTI Local Bus adapter (¨Local Bus¨ silkscreened on there should give a clue). You´ll need one of the (486) motherboards that had that slot to use it. The design preceeded VL Bus taking off.

Ah, very good. I didn't notice the "local bus" on there. I always thought that OLB was keyed differently than EISA, but I guess not.

No, it was designed that way (stupid, I know) so that the same connectors could be used. I have a couple of the motherboards around, and probably 2 or 3 of the video cards. Almost always it was the ET4000 chipset for these OPTI Local Bus video adapters (and commonly just for video with just a single slot).

[EDIT] I have two motherboards, but only one video adapter. Dunno where the other one got off to. But these things are labelled very confusingly (note that they have *no* configuration comparable to EISA adapters, and I know these are OPTI Local Bus):

The video adapter has a marking ¨EISA-LVGA¨...

One motherboard has ¨EISA Local¨...

Last edited:
They could have used the same connector but just flipped it around backwards. Lazy ass engineers.

You mean like Intel Slot 1 / AMD Slot A?...

Damn, I´m off topic...

I think the basics were still that an ISA card could be plugged into an OLB connector (just like EISA)...

I did notice that local bus label, reminded me of a motherboard I seen on ebay that was cheap and had a single EISA looking slot but it wasn't EISA.

It´s not EISA, more like an OPTI Local Bus adapter (¨Local Bus¨ silkscreened on there should give a clue). You´ll need one of the (486) motherboards that had that slot to use it. The design preceeded VL Bus taking off.

Damn, you learn something new everyday :eek: ;)

I hope it wasn't this card that helped kill my Everex Eisa motherboard....:rolleyes:

So I guess the Opti bus is technically a VL Bus but with a different connector?

This card will be very...err..useful to me, hehe

This bus must be pretty obscure since I hardly found any info about it on the net

Back in my 486 VLB days, the ET4000 was one of my fave video cards. They were much easier to use than the later Hercules cards I purchased. The Hercules cards were very fast, just hard to adjust. Every time you changed the resolution, you would have to resize, recenter, etc.

Your Everex board died? What's wrong with it?

It started acting weird, I could boot every other time I turned the PC on....sometimes I had to put the reset button a couple of time for it to post and boot but now it does nothing
I hope it wasn't the Tseng card that killed it...I tried it briefly in this board

I'm glad this board worked which I will replace it with
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/E/ELITEGROUP-COMPUTER-SYSTEMS-INC-486-SL-486VE.html

Back