• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My OSI 600 SuperBoard II

vbriel

Experienced Member
This is my new SuperBoard II by Ohio Scientific. I aquired it via a trade worked out at the VCF East. Those who don't go, miss out on a lot of stuff. The guy at the table next to me scored a FREE full Apple IIGS system.

Superboards.jpg

Anyways, I got my SuperBoard II Friday and proceeded to try it out and found it to be fully functional working just like I wanted. In 1 days time, I found the manual, programs, how to hook up the RS232 port to a PC to dump grams, magazine articles, and more! Next I am going to build a case for it.

Vince

Now OT...

Now OT...

This is my new SuperBoard II by Ohio Scientific. I aquired it via a trade worked out at the VCF East. Those who don't go, miss out on a lot of stuff. The guy at the table next to me scored a FREE full Apple IIGS system.

I didn't think giving away a IIGS would have caused much joy. I gave one to Evan and one to Dan the ragoo man.

Kept the better one for myself.

Vince is right though, show up at these gatherings. You never know what you'll find. I picked up a van full of TRS-80 model IIs after the VCF 2 years ago.

Kelly

That was you? Well, I missed you maybe because of having to drive out there twice but yeah, they are a great event. Dan was who I was thinking of but didn't want to mention any names.

Vince

Anyways, I got my SuperBoard II Friday and proceeded to try it out and found it to be fully functional working just like I wanted. In 1 days time, I found the manual, programs, how to hook up the RS232 port to a PC to dump grams, magazine articles, and more! Next I am going to build a case for it.

Vince

Great find! I've been trying to get some type of Ohio Scientific system for some time, but they're always heavily bid on when they pop on eBay. I have several software tapes (games) just waiting for the day, though...

So maybe being a little too nosy, but just out of curiosity what was the trade? .. or atleast perceived value? Neat system but I'm unfamiliar with it. Looks like something I would have loved but in all honestly probably would have passed on under the risk of it not working and me not having the talent to fix it.

Still, very neat system. Glad to hear the conference went well.

The risk of not working didn't bother me, I can fix these machines. The cost was a barter trade of kits that I sell. The important thing in any trade is that both parties feel they got a good deal. I got a board I've wanted for a while so it was worth it to me.

Vince

Yep, still sorry I tossed mine in the dumpster 15 years ago.

Looks like yours has the sound circuitry soldered in: it's the small group of components to the lower left of the left shift key.

I did it myself on my old Challenger 1P, but by the time I got the circuit soldered up and a small amplifier built, it was time to upgrade to a $200 VIC-20. Wow, who would want a C1P when you can have a VIC-20???

<slaps forehead>

Just make sure your case is made of something transparent. You don't want to hide that beautiful PCB.

Yeah, I was thinking of a plexiglass case. I have some of the tools to do this but I can't remember the glue to use that is clear.

Vince

Vince,

I also just bought an Superboard (rev d), and need to buy/build a case... that's my next project since I figured out a case for my microkim ;) Please let me know how you progress on a case for the 600, or if you want to swap ideas.

Since I used to have a Challenger IIP, I'm partial to the original metal case. If I could get the dimensions I might be able to bend metal to the correct shape.

My 600 was actually in a case (like a VT100), complete with mummified mouse! It has a disk drive and the disk/expansion board. It needs a good cleaning before I do anything more with it.

Also, I'm putting the UK101 (clone of the OSI SB) into EagleCad to have a microOSI, but that's a different thread...

-Crawford

If you have a way to bend metal, let me know, I can draw up a case design, like the challanger cases.

Vince

Let's start planning a case!

Let's start planning a case!

Vince,

Sounds like a plan. I can also contact Mark Csele, and see if he can measure a case for us. I think he had a picture of an empty case on his site. IIRC, the top (blue or beige part) was a lighter guage of metal than the base, which was U shaped (from side to side) and perhaps aluminum.

On a separate note, should we prevail on the powers-that-be to start an OSI category?

-Crawford

Back