• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Timex Sinclair 1000

Did you make sure to snip the wire coming UP from the board, to the center conductor?
There's also an RC-bridge connecting from bottom right-corner inside the RF Modulator can, going to the center conductor. . . . T

I did snip the center conductor clean before attaching the jumper. In fact that was the hardest part of the operation. (Very difficult to get at with any tools.) Finally used a pair of my wife's eyelash trimmers to cut the RC bridge out. Upon close inspection of the last picture you can see the RC bridge is now gone. I had tried to just snip it and push it slightly out of the way but a quick continuity check kept showing a short until I completely removed the RC bridge. If I wasn't positive no video signal is now leaving the T1000, I might fiddle with it some more, but since I already had some keys that weren't working, I'm just going to give up on it.

I've already found a new use for it though. I use it as a wedge to chock the back wheel of my car when the front end is raised up, so the car doesn't roll backwards. Very handy :)

picture.php

Besides, this gives me an excuse to use with the wife, on why I now need a replacement - maybe a ZX80 or ZX81 or some other Sinclair machine.

If you have one of those TI-99/4A computers laying around, pop it open to see if the keyboard is the type that has individual key switches soldered to a circuit board.

If it is, WOOHOO!

Take a dremel, cut a bunch of traces and re-wire it. You can then take some ribbon cable and attach it to the Sinclair's mother board.

You can be creative and put a new case on the system too... or just be cheap and use some standoffs to make the TI's case into a fancy Sinclair case. Don't forget to cut the slot out of the back for the expansion modules to plug in.

RJ

Vint,

Sorry to hear that mod didn't work out. They can be irritating (no, they ARE irritating) but the ZX-81 is still a classic and no nostalgerist should be without one :)

I'd get another one if I was you. In New Zealand here, working models with software, powerpack etc. actually fetch quite high prices.

Tez

This may be a retarded question, but can I use a standard tape deck to copy data tapes? I remember being told (kinda obvious with the afterthought) not to convert data tapes to mp3 instead of .wav.

And you've played the mp3 back to a cassette and it worked ok? I don't know what audio range the data uses but that was my original assumption.. if it's not something outside of normal hearing range for the bits then it would convert/compress fine without getting any data cut out from the filtering.

You know, I was almost going to bid and dub them for ya but didn't quite want to do that (just a really good deal though). Unfortunately someone else it seems snatched em. Anyone here?

And you've played the mp3 back to a cassette and it worked ok? I don't know what audio range the data uses but that was my original assumption.. if it's not something outside of normal hearing range for the bits then it would convert/compress fine without getting any data cut out from the filtering.

You know, I was almost going to bid and dub them for ya but didn't quite want to do that (just a really good deal though). Unfortunately someone else it seems snatched em. Anyone here?

Actually, I emailed the mp3 files to another member here, and he was able to load them to his Epson HX-20 directly from the soundcard in his PC just as if it were a real tape player.

I tried to bid on the tapes in the last minute, but unfortunately, my friendly rival/sometimes customer pueo in CA out-sniped me by five seconds. Glad it was a collector and not some greedy profiteer. I've sold him a few things over the years, including my CCS system, and I barely edged him out for my Gizmo a while back, so I guess that makes us even.

--T

Found this forum today and I'm impressed with the amount of hardware info on vintage systems. I'll make sure I'll recommend it to the people in other forums. For those who have specific questions about the ZX81 or TS1000, there's a forum 100% dedicated to it:

http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/ZX80_ZX81/forums/

And for those looking for software, there's Simon's site:

http://www.zx81stuff.org.uk/

I used to have a dozen of TS1000s but I gave them away for the price of postage. I only keep one model of each Sinclair machine now.

Hello, yesterday I got my TS 1000, a lot smaller than it looked in the pictures. :)

I'm having some issues with it, number one, I can't manage to keep the system on more than 5 seconds with the rampack in, any suggestions?

(I found this really cool software suit for the zx 81, I'll post a link later)

Second, every time i use the LOAD command, the computer crashes. Not a flickering screen, it just completely losses power. Works fine otherwise.

Thanks for any help...

The RAM pack is very very sensitive -- if you give it even the slightest bump, more often than not the system will crash on you.

That's weird about the computer losing power when it comes to LOADing stuff -- I know the load time is extremely long -- if I remember right, most programs that come close to the 16K limit take around half an hour to load via cassette. Which is obviously really really frustrating when you bump that external RAM pack and have to reload everything for yet ANOTHER half hour ..... :mad:

Sheesh, I was just trying to load like 12 lines, still crashes, grrr. About the rampack, I know, but it won't stay on at all. It's super sensitive, just type something and it's toast. Mebbe cleaning it would help some.

Thanks for the reply.

what kind of tv are you using when i used it (same one mind you) the screen would go blank because the tv sees it as static and blanks the screen. dont know whats up with the ram pack though worked when i sent it.

JUST REALIZED make sure theres not a piece of cardboard over part of the connector. i replaced the piece of plastic that insulates the case grounding bar thingy from the board with a piece of card board and i think i forgot to trim it down.

For the RAM pack, the folklore is to clean the contacts and then use a quantity of blu-tack to try and keep the connection rigid.

Sheesh, I was just trying to load like 12 lines, still crashes, grrr. About the rampack, I know, but it won't stay on at all. It's super sensitive, just type something and it's toast. Mebbe cleaning it would help some.

Thanks for the reply.

May I be of assistance on your Timex?

Here is one of my methods to secure the RAM pack on the Timex 1000.

If that isn't to your liking, perhaps this alternate method will suffice.

Seriously, I know you just bought this thing and you want it to work, not jokes so -
Set the unit flat on a table with the RAM pack installed. Check for even the slightest movement of the RAM pack when you press down on the keyboard. If there is movement, you're gonna' crash sooner or later. What I did to fix this was to make new rubber feet for the Timex as per this picture.

You need to find rubber that will exactly match the plastic rails on the bottom of the RAM pack - so that when the Timex is flat on the table the RAM pack is too. Mine is now very stable.

Now all you need cure is that Load crashing problem, sorry I can't help there.

Back