• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Original Atari Asteroids desk console

Micom 2000

Veteran Member
I have lines on the above working console, and in trying to Google it, it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Marketers are even calling 2600s arcade consoles now. I'm trying to get some sort of price fix. I know there are avid arcade collector groups out there but haven't been able to find them. Could anyone point me in the rght direction ? This is the console where 2 players sat on opposite sides and was sometimes seen in some of the trendier bars in the late 70s, early 80s.

Lawrence

I think you'll do better by calling it a 'cocktail table' style arcade game.

They are *very* desirable. I have a standup version (full arcade style plywood cabinet), and those run from $600 to $1300 depending upon their condition. I imagine that the cocktail table style will be near the same price range.

The graphics are beautiful. Unlike every non-Atari game that used raster scan monitors (just like your computer or TV), these use vector displays. When it draws a line it behaves like an X/Y plotter, not a dot matrix printer. Diagonal lines will have no 'jaggies'.

Unfortunately, the displays are not made anymore. If you need repairs you have to deal with a pretty small group of mostly do-it yourself restorers.

Mike

Ok, I guess that squashes any "jackpot" dream. :^) I had visons of it being worth multiple $1000's. Oh well, it can stay esconced in a local community center, where the younger kids prefer it to the multiple computers there, unlke their older siblings. They are of course also less reverent and more heavy handed to machines.

The guy who lent the Atari had a stroke a while back and could use the cash, but I'll report little interest, especially when the cost of shippng from up here would likely be equivalent to it's value.

Thanks,

Lawrence

It being in a community center, you could offer to keep it up. It's a good way to keep it alive and people playing it, plus you'll be helping out. Keep the kids interested.

Nathan

It's not mine. The guy who owns it had a stroke not to long ago and is in dire staits both physically and financially, needing constant care. It would have to return considerably more than that for him to pull it from the rec-centre tho.

There are about 6 fairly new computers with i-net, a pool table and other recreational stuff in the centre. Most of the over-8 kids are uninterested in it so it doesn't get used much.

Lawrence

It's always dependant on the buyer and desire. But yeah, coctail arcades are worth a bit and depending on location and how many are around you may be able to fetch a little more for something like that... all assuming it's in really good condition. Ironically one of the more expensive ones is Ms. Pacman.

Anyway, it's probably worth more keeping it up and in good condition and sitting on it for later but if he's in need of money just in general, it's $1000 he may not already have.

- John

Most arcade collectors prefer stand-up machines to cocktails.

A good working Asteroids cocktail is a neat little machine - I'd like to have one - but it's value in the market is about $300-600 on average. Those in the know sell/buy it for less because of the vector monitor's reliability. Very few cocktails will bring you a jackpot in terms of what they're worth. The game's the thing - which makes some cocktails more valuable, and others less `cause the angle of the screen isn't optimal for a lot of games.

I know where I can pick up a Tempest cocktail for around $750, and that sucker is a great deal rarer.

Back