• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just repaired my model 1 SegaCD!

NathanAllan

Veteran Member
Ran across it at the swap and snagged it for $35 untested. I figured it was broken and it would be a nice project, and it was! Came with: Model 2 Genesis, one power supply (needs two and it was dead), one controller and the AV cable for the Genesis.

There is a fuse in it, a 2.5A tiny thing, looks just like a resistor on the main board near the audio outputs. Tested everything, and the fuse was the l;ast thing to check and that was the problem. Apparently the power supply got shocked and the fuse blew. Fulfilled its destiny.

I read up on the problem, asked a lot of questions and got this information:

"There is a zero-ohm resistor near the audio connectors on the motherboard."

I go to a couple of friends of mine, a technician and an engineer, and tell them this and they got the oddest looks on their faces. I hadn't even thought of the actual words being used, and they kinda were like "Pallet stretcher" or "box of grid squares" and my new nickname is "zero-ohm" from them.

Anyway, got it repaired and fixed a lot of other stuff in the process. It uses a setup that has two board edge connectors, and tehy were both heavily oxidized. Cleaned them. Took off a little bit of rus tand polished up the RF shielding. Took about half a pound of dust out, wiped off all the grease from the outside, looks really nice!

And works like a charm. As far as Segas go, the Model 1 CD is a rare item. Not terribly hard to get one, but not cheap. Score! And I got to make it a project instead of just buy it, I love that. Pics soon, too dark right now. Got one:

http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.dkassandra4/UntitledAlbum#5265715433967300514

Very cool -- those Model I Sega CD systems seems to be harder to find than the Model II's, at least around here in Northeast Wisconsin! Oddly enough, I found a Sega CDX at a Goodwill for $10 a good two years before I finally found a Model I Sega CD.

A CDX for $10? What a steal! iirc, the only rarer thing Sega is the X-Eye. I'd love to find me a CDX in the wild like that!

Yeah, the Model 1 on a Model 2 looks clunky, like you said. My friend (yes, I have a friend in El Paso that is a gamer) has one, but he was lucky enough to get the little extension that goes underneath to fill the gap.

The X-Eye's pretty cool looking (I have one), but I really love the CDX cause it's so small -- it looks like a souped up Sony Walkman. Still looking for the Nomad, although I heard it eats batteries like crazy.

I remember reading one of the posts (maybe on digital press?) where someone ran across a full development system package for the Genesis/Sega CD which consisted of a 68000 board, assembler, linker, debugger, ROM/EPROM stuff. IIRC, he found it for around $20 but sold it for over $500 on ebay.

A CDX for $10? What a steal! iirc, the only rarer thing Sega is the X-Eye. I'd love to find me a CDX in the wild like that!

Yeah, the Model 1 on a Model 2 looks clunky, like you said. My friend (yes, I have a friend in El Paso that is a gamer) has one, but he was lucky enough to get the little extension that goes underneath to fill the gap.

How hard is it to find those extensions?

I bought the model 1 Genesis with a model 2 Sega CD. Sure that gap without the extender is kinda big but I didn't really see a need to get it "fixed."

Another thing: model 2 Sega CD is a "clamshell" drive. So were Dreamcast, both models of the PSone, model 2 of the PS2, and Game Cube.

The model 1 as I recall had the drive more commonly associated with PCs. Only the PS2 model 1 & the first Xbox had this. I guess most videogame manufacturers believed kids would be more apt to break this set-up & opted for the clamshell instead.

The PS3 has a slot-loading blu-ray drive. Snazzy!

NeXT, as far as I can tell, it's very hard to find them here. I have seen one since being here, and I know what to look for. If I find one, I'll pick it up. I doubt anyone will know what the heck it is.

facattack, Yes, the one I have is tray-loading, has the sliding tray and everything. Though mine works perfectly, I have heard stories of the tray stopping moving and having to be pulled and pushed. With the clamshell, it cuts down on electrical moving parts and that type ius easier to repair if it gets snagged on a shirt sleeve or something. Also, with less electrical parts it must be easier or cheaper to produce.

Nathan

Back