• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ATI EGA Wonder 800 install into a 5155... help!

Though I'm sure that helps me... I don't know what settings I need! I mean, I can see HOW to set the card, but I don't know what I'm SUPPOSED to do. Do I want EGA? CGA? Composite? I'm totally lost.

The entry on the second page reading

Code:
   Composite (PC            On               On               Off
       portable)

suggests that you should set the monitor type to composite mono (switches 5 and 6 on, switch 7 off). The first page then gives you the settings for switches 1-4. You should also set the motherboard switches for EGA/VGA.

Ok, so I have this so far:

5 on
6 on
7 off

But I'm not sure what 1,2,3,4,8 should be.

Assuming that 5-6 on and 7 off are the correct switches for the 5155, you can find the corresponding settings for 1-4 from the first page:

Code:
Composite mono  	on  	on  	on  	off  	on  	on  	off

(ie, 1-3 on, 4 off).

The same page suggests you start with 8 on and if that doesn't work turn it off.

Just curious: are the manual and utility disks for the EGA Wonders on line anywhere?

Also, does anyone know the difference between the EGA Wonders and the 800 by any chance?

When I set the switches as stated above, my monitor just flickers... any ideas? I also get one long and two short beeps now.

Last edited:
Did you set the motherboard DIP switches for EGA/VGA? (SW1/5 and SW1/6 both on). If not, it'll be expecting to find a CGA card, and that could give rise to a 1 long 2 short error.

Ahh ok, didn't do that. SW1/6 was off.

Now I have no beeps, but still the flickering screen (whole screen is static and looks like the v-hold is way off)

Then I'm pretty much out of ideas. I suppose if you've got an external CGA or composite monitor, you could plug that into the back of the card and see if you get a picture on it.

Well I know the PC works fine with the stock "COLOR GRAPHICS" card, and I know this card was tested working fine when I bought it... so it has to be a setting! Wish I knew more about this stuff.

You could turn switch 8 off, I suppose, and see if that makes a difference.

I've just looked through my collection of video cards, but I don't seem to have an EGA Wonder 800 to test here -- only an 800+, which doesn't have any DIP switches or composite connectors.

Sorry I can't help much, it's been too long since I set one up. You really should jack-in an external monitor and try to get it working that war first, just to be sure everything's working ok. If you can't get a display, there may be sum'n wrong with the board.

--T

Well I know my 5155 monitor is fine, but it has just two wires... I could try connecting it to the composite rear connector I supose. I have no 9 pin monitors to try.

Well I know my 5155 monitor is fine, but it has just two wires... I could try connecting it to the composite rear connector I supose. I have no 9 pin monitors to try.

Yes, it needs to be plugged to the connector at the rear of the board (closest to the outside of the case, near the metal support bracket). You've been trying it with the other connector? That's the problem, I'm sure...

--T

Correct, that's where I'm plugging it in. By flicker I don't mean just a little, I mean its like the V-Hold is very off and it's constantly moving fast... can't explain it.

Back