• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just got this, a Zenith something

That looks like the predecessor to the Z-248s the US Military had in most offices in the mid-80s. I used to buy those things at surplus sales for next to nothing. I sure do wish I still had a few of the computers they used to get rid of back then. I remember one cash and carry sale where they had several KayPros, Osborne 1s and Executives, Z-100s, Z-184s and Z-248s, IBM XTs and tons of other equipment, most of which still worked and were complete because it was before they started removing and destroying the hard drives.

Yeah, it's kinda messy. I usually have two or three things working at the same time and very little space to work with.

Heading over there soon to continue with the present projects, to include the DVD/VCR power supply, the Zenith hookup, and Nasa box work. Got the wheels on last night, now it's easier to move around. Tip: don't buy the cheap screws, buy the good ones, I had one break under me tightening it yesterday. Hit my thumb on the frame, not nice, still feeling it.

Nathan

What you have is a Zenith Z-148 Compact PC. Zenith offered two PC compatible desktops at that time. The Z-148 and Z-158. The Z-148 was the more affordable but had limited expansion capabilities. It was designed to have everything needed to run most PC software. There was an expansion board model ZA-141-1 that plugged into the main board that allowed you to add one accessory card. Maybe this computer has it? I will try to scan the pages from the Zenith product catalog tonight.

Nice system! I used to have a Zenith SuperSport laptop. Cant wait to hear if it works or not.

If you think his work area is messy, you should see my room. I can barely walk, and I still have more stuff to get from the Suburban!

--Jack

I know the feeling. Whenever I need sum'n from another part of the room, I hafta move stuff around to make a path. I feel like those poor lil' critters in Lemmings...spending all my time digging, tunneling, building, moving stuff, etc.

--T

I fired it up today, and it has a memory error in the first chip of ram. So it never got past the memory count. The board under the drives is nearly fully populated, they may just need reseating. Also, the composite jack on the back is loose and would only make a connection if I would hold it.

So when the memory is reseated and the jack gets resoldered (the thing is loose probably from lots of plugging/unplugging fifteen years ago or so) it'll be nice.

It does have an upgrade board, and that board is for the seagate hdd that is sitting with it. When powering up, the hdd spins up and seems to be okay, only the memory error is holding it up.

My place is worse than the shop, easily. Most of it is my mess at home, at the bookstore it's mostly the ham radio enthusiast owner's mess :) They're just as bad as us, just as dedicated to old machines, just radios.

Nathan

Check your private e:mail. I have a Zenith service guide for this computer that has a lot of good info. It is a little over 4 MB in file size. The maximum size for an attachment in the forums here is 48.8 Kb.

Back