• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problems with IBM clone

----------
Maybe not; why not just network 'em together, even if just with Laplink or equivalent.

Boy, you sure are determined to get this motherboard working again instead of just replacing it...

Good Luck!

So it seems.

Be extra careful un-soldering on a multi-layer board because, if you pull out a feed-through, you have a very large paperweight.

I've been doing it for over 35 years and I still don't take the task lightly.

Curious

Curious

I'm just curious, how does your Haake Buchler Rheometer hook up to the pc, anyway ?
Are you trying to get it running so you can get the data off, or so you can use the Rheometer, or both ?
patscc

PATSCC
Nuts & bolts wise, See earlier picture. In pc unit has a mercury switch in it which when on supplys power to pc and du (drive unit).
PC has, 1 hd drive card, 1 video card, 1 memory card, then 1 output card to du, & 1 input card from unit, & 1 board off the mobo with relays between main power and du. Going on memory, haven't been to work for 1 1/2 wks.

And yes maybe I'm stubborn about fixing things. I just want to show the young whipper snappers it can be done. If I ruin the card changing the cmos chip what do I lose? The card! It don't work now!

Besides if I don't get it working this way, talk is to update the computer.
I am going to see a vintage ibm today (don't know anything about it other than it has a 5,25 and 3.5 drive in it) that will propably be free for the taking.

I'll keep you updated

David

box

box

I can see why you don't want to tear all that stuff out of there.

dengelland said...card changing the cmos chip

Okay, now I'm confused. Is the cmos chip you're looking at on the motherboard, or an expansion card ?

patscc

Have had memory card out, Get same error. Keyboard unhooked, same error.

Found on Firmware site to short pin 12 & 24 on mc146818 chip to clear cmos, still get error on boot.(illegal shutdown code in cmos.
Going to change mc146818 chip.
Want to get data off that is stored, and be able to use machine again.

Is it possible some how to connect this machine to our network and download data to network drives after I get it running?
I'm almost sure IT people won't let me, but wandering if someone with more knowledge than me could do it.
I just got the 486DX with 5.25 floppy,CDR, etc and am thinking of putting a CDRW in place of CDR & transfer data from 5.25 to CD that way.

David

Mc146818

Mc146818

Shorting pins 12 & 24 just shorts the power supply to chip. Don't see that doing much of anything. You might want to try unsoldering pin 13 (Chip select) and tying that to pin 24 VDD. DON'T tie 13 & 24 directly as pin 13 technically should be tied to ground, and that might cause a short.
This disables read/write access to the CMOS. It'd be interesting to see what the BIOS will make of this.

patscc

The OP tried to run without the battery, I don't see that shorting anything on the CMOS chip will change matters.

He could run the Landmark POST ROM if he has a EPROM programmer.

chip

chip

Chuck(G) said...
The OP tried to run without the battery, I don't see that shorting anything on the CMOS chip will change matters.

The chip still gets power, right, when the system is powered up ?
My thought was to tie it's chip select line to Vdd which effectively dissables the chip, and then see what happens.

Of course, as Chuck(G) pointed out about dengelland having a burner, or someone near dengelland...

patscc

Back