• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Imsai type switches

curtis

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a source for these? I'd like to use a couple for the power and reset switches on the case I'm building.

Curtis

Actually, I may have discovered a source after a little further digging on the 'net.

http://www.imsai.net/parts/parts.htm

I'd forgotten they're doing a full-scale replica of the 8080 and are also selling parts.

However, I've also heard they tend to be a bit slow on deliveries. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I've heard the same warning but have no experience with them to confirm. Not sure if Grant (stockly.com) or Vince (brielcomputers.com) although they've both built Altair clones not IMSAI.. though I'm curious how much the difference would be. In either event both are great systems and quality. Perhaps they have any idea on where to find those types of parts (they're both here when they have time).

Functionality is pretty much the same, but what I'm after is the look on the switches. The big broad paddle-type handles are very distinguishing in appearance.

Dont a lot of people make the keys themselfs from "hobby-plastic" ?
Like first make a mold from a good key and then poor your own keys.
Its not the easiest way and I am sure it will take practice but once you get the hang of it you can make anything!

people do. I've seen a couple make their own PDP-8 switches, which break pretty easy (the originals)

Problem is, I don't have a "good" key.

Dont a lot of people make the keys themselfs from "hobby-plastic" ?
Like first make a mold from a good key and then poor your own keys.
Its not the easiest way and I am sure it will take practice but once you get the hang of it you can make anything!

Got a response from Todd Fischer. They have switches avaiilable. However, before I order from them, I'm going to make a speed run to Dallas and check out a couple of places and see what they have. If I come up empty, I'll order from Todd.

BTW, here's the email I got from Todd:

Hello Marvin-

Links to our parts page (www.imsai.net/parts/parts.html) on the web site were inadvertently deleted and will be cleaned up today. Meanwhile, switch numbers and prices are:

Red Paddle Switch, momentary RED MOM (Deposit, Run/Stop positions) - 26-1500003 $12.50
ea.
Blue Paddle Switch, momentary BLUE MOM (Examine, Reset, Single Step positions) - 26-1500004 $13.50
ea.
Red Paddle Switch, on/on RED ONO (Address/Data and Address/Programmed Input positions) - 26-1500002 $11.50
ea.
Blue Paddle Switch, on/on BLUE ONO (Address/Data and Address/Programmed Input positions) - 26-1500001 $12.50
ea.
Red Rocker Switch, on/on RED ONO (Power On/Off) - 26-1600001 $11.50
ea.

Regards,

-Thomas "Todd" Fischer

Back