• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

stability testing PC/TCP! help!

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
as i mentioned in the legality thread, i abandoned NTCPDRV for the 80's-90's commercial stack PC/TCP to do my DOS-based network programming. in the past 3 days, i have been working on a brand new IRC server for DOS from scratch using the new TCP driver. it's pretty functional at this point, although it's far from complete. there are a few people on there now chatting. i'd love it if some of you guys wanted to drop in on the server and just help give it a good workout.

i haven't had any stability issues so far, it's been rock-solid. still, i just started with it so we'll see. i was being extremely careful when coding this one to make it as fast and efficient as possible, and i guess i did alright because it's running on a 4.77 MHz 8088 with very very little lag. it's more than acceptable. well under 500 ms.

so, come on guys... drop in and help me test the new server. IRC to irc.rubbermallet.org

my server is home to a cool little group of vintage computer nerds, 6 regulars... usually in there 24/7. fun little channel we have.

i just think it's cool to run an IRC server on an 8088. i'm betting it's the only one on the 'net. :mrgreen:

would be very cool if it remains stable with the new TCP stack. NTCPDRV can't go for more than a couple hours with listening sockets open before your system locks up.

Last edited:
nobody? mike b showed up for a bit. i've had it up for 2 nights now, it seems very stable. haven't had a single hitch yet. still though drop on by if you're bored.

lineman duke from here is one of the regulars. he even idles there when he sleeps. :)

IRC is so addictive. it's like multi-player notepad.

Yep. I connected and spent a few hundred packets in Mike's house of ill-repute.

For everybody else. Except for the foul language, criminal activity, and viruses, money laundering, roadkill eating, and vintage computing being discussed its perfectly safe to use! Actually, those activities make it look like every other IRC channel out there.

(Tongue in cheek of course)

It works. It will be interesting to see how well the new code and PC/TCP compare to the previous NTCPDRV based code. It's looking promising already. And remember, Mike is doing this in QB - you can't get much more on topic.

Mike

Yep. I connected and spent a few hundred packets in Mike's house of ill-repute.

For everybody else. Except for the foul language, criminal activity, and viruses, money laundering, roadkill eating, and vintage computing being discussed its perfectly safe to use! Actually, those activities make it look like every other IRC channel out there.

(Tongue in cheek of course)

It works. It will be interesting to see how well the new code and PC/TCP compare to the previous NTCPDRV based code. It's looking promising already. And remember, Mike is doing this in QB - you can't get much more on topic.

Mike

hey hey, i bought those squirrels at the market. it wasn't roadkill. thanks for dropping by. i spent most of the night working on getting user and channel modes going. i don't have a new EXE i'm running on there yet though, it's the same build you logged onto last night. (been running that file a little over 24 hours now, so very stable)

long story short, it's getting there slowly but surely. it is a fun little project, and i am pretty surprised at how well it is performing. you can't even notice a lag really. also, i went ahead and modified the socket handling code so that it only polls the open ones plus one more that stays listening. when somebody gets on there it opens the first unused one to listen again. if somebody disconnects, the socket drops out of the picture. as you might have expected, there was a noticeable little speed boost.

just a note, it's got user and channel modes now and remains very stable so i moved it over to the main port 6667. my debian server is now just on 6668 as a backup, which it doesn't look like i even need. the 8088 server keeps right on running!

as i mentioned in the legality thread, i abandoned NTCPDRV for the 80's-90's commercial stack PC/TCP to do my DOS-based network programming. in the past 3 days, i have been working on a brand new IRC server for DOS from scratch using the new TCP driver. it's pretty functional at this point, although it's far from complete. there are a few people on there now chatting. i'd love it if some of you guys wanted to drop in on the server and just help give it a good workout.

i haven't had any stability issues so far, it's been rock-solid. still, i just started with it so we'll see. i was being extremely careful when coding this one to make it as fast and efficient as possible, and i guess i did alright because it's running on a 4.77 MHz 8088 with very very little lag. it's more than acceptable. well under 500 ms.

so, come on guys... drop in and help me test the new server. IRC to irc.rubbermallet.org

my server is home to a cool little group of vintage computer nerds, 6 regulars... usually in there 24/7. fun little channel we have.

i just think it's cool to run an IRC server on an 8088. i'm betting it's the only one on the 'net. :mrgreen:

would be very cool if it remains stable with the new TCP stack. NTCPDRV can't go for more than a couple hours with listening sockets open before your system locks up.

When i get my networkcard i will try out all the TCP and packet ware you guys programmed. Maybe i even try code some of my own, i have a very flexible strong and fast encryption algorithm that willl probably encrypt with 2 MB/s on
a 5 Mhz computer. In fact my algoritm is totally scaleable for any bitsize. Even though the fast version deals with byte encoding.

So if you look forward for a cipher that takes key of anysize and encrypt them with at least 2 MB and is portabel to any 8-bit instruction processor, per second, using Shanons security theorems you better equip me with a networkcard for XT:sneaky: .

The nice things with permutation ciphers is they keep their properties when the bitsize expands. Heck maybe i even make you an encrypted bittorent.

JT

Back