• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Olivetti M24 assistance needed

NeXT

Veteran Member
I have this M24 that I have been using as a door stop for the last few years and never really bothered to turn it on until today. When I got it I didn't get both the keyboard or monitor and to my luck, both are proprietary. :p
Well after plugging it in and switching it on I get a green power light as well as an ST-225 completely spinning up but I get no beeps or the likes let alone a floppy seek. Is this normal or should something happen, even though it has no monitor and keyboard?

EDIT: The PSU in this thing is also awesome. Aside from the massive 120mm, 120V fan, it has these two thick cables that leave the PSU and run to the motherboard. It just looks so dangerous.

one beep

one beep

My M24 --without keyboard and monitor-- gives just one 1/2 second beep

To see what's the problem you would plug a mda card or a hercules card in the busconverter (if you have one) and connect an ibm monochrome monitor to it. You will need to set switch 5 and 6 of dipswitch 1 (closest to the rear of the board) to "off"; this way the machine starts with mda activated.

I know I have a really old 8 bit ATI card that I was saving for should I ever find a 5150. I can go see if I can get anything out of that but I don't know an MDA or CGA card if I had been using one for half my life. I unfortunately normally work with VGA.

Back