• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Temperatures - Minnesota (2009-01-16)

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
I'm not big on posting in the Off-topic areas, but I thought this was too good to keep to myself. Note the temperature differential between inside and outside ...

Temperatures-2009-01-17.jpg

Thats getting cool :) We've had a lot of -40ish Cel here in the last month. Not fun stuff, with the wind chill it gets into the -50s.

Warm

Warm

Yeah, we're having a pretty warm winter up here this year. The static temperature this morning was -26 F.
Unfortunately, the old house we just *had* to buy has no insulation in the walls.
I scanned the wall surface with a contactless thermometer, and the coldest spot on an interior wall is 38 F.
Like I said, a warm winter. Glad to see you guys in Minnesota are nice & toasty as well.
So, when are we going swimming ?

patsc

We've been in the 60-70's although right now we're having a cold spell which is 30's to 40's for the lows and highs.

I honestly can never tell if Winters are getting better or worse anymore, we never seem to see anything down here more than an extra sweater and jacket weather.

I see you keep your stat set around 65 degrees. Me too, after getting the >$600.00 bill...and that was before it turned cold! Outside temp now is a balmy +7, wind chill, -25F. Inside temp unknown, but I can see my breath (the heat to this room is cut off completely).
At least it looks like the cold snap has finally broken. Stay warm & dry, we'll see you in the Spring.

--T

Holy S**T. Why do people LIVE in such climates!

Is this a good time to mention it's been averaging about 28 degrees Celcius here? (+28 deg, not -28 ) :)

Tez

livin'

livin'

tezza said...Holy S**T. Why do people LIVE in such climates!
Because it feel's *so* good when the cold stops.
The nice thing about the cold is you just unplug the freezer in winter & shove it on the back porch.
patscc

Temp was -5 F with a windchill close to -30F last nite, and I am in NE Ohio. It was so cold that I made an insulated box home for one stray cat outside so he would not die (he was smart enough to use it).

$600 for heating sounds a bit crazy, large home with no insulation using electric heating?

heating

heating

Unknown_k said...$600 for heating sounds a bit crazy
Mine's sometimes not much lower. No big house. 100-year old house with lots of cracks, crevices, and holding it all together, holes. No insulation, unless you want to count the vinyl siding & the 1/2" foam mounting sheets.
But you should see what the summer A/C bill looks like. Last year we fired the ol' A/C up for a total of 4 days.

patscc

$600 for heating sounds a bit crazy, large home with no insulation using electric heating?

No, after I recovered from the stroke, I called up and was told that it was an estimated bill. I braved the elements enough to read the meters myself, and the actual bill they sent out was only $305.00, still bad enough. I closed off the heat from half the trailer and turned down the stat. Just got a new bill today, still $301.47 for this month of record breaking cold, snow, rain, wind, and flooding from the two days of record heat that melted 60" of snow all at once. Somebody wanna tell us again about how the planet is getting warmer? (I've even stooped to drinking my 151 & Coke without ice!) Barbaric...

A round of boat drinks for the house, wench!

--T

Last edited:
mbbrutman wrote:

I'm not big on posting in the Off-topic areas, but I thought this was too good to keep to myself. Note the temperature differential between inside and outside ...

Worse case of Global Warming I've ever seen! ;-D

Good to hear from you Mike! :-D

after I recovered from the stroke
---
I've even stooped to drinking my 151 & Coke without ice!) Barbaric...

Hmm.. ;-) Actually I didn't know you had a stroke. Glad you're ok!! I guess your winter heating bills are like our summer AC bills (that's when everyone compares their $200-300 electric bills) down here. Right now it's not bad, we just usually don't turn on the AC, and only heat if it's really below 50 for the day.

There are some thermal spray or thermal reflective paint things you can do in your attic/walls if you're interested (no clue on the cost) but the good one is one that still works even if it's not completely coated, and reflects temperature where applied. It's used here and there on the inside of attics down here but I'd imagine if it keeps heat out, it'd likely keep inside temperatures inside and outside temperatures outside if you're having a lot of problems with that home.

Other than that, I close the vents in the rooms I don't care to heat/AC, and close doors to rooms I also don't want to heat/AC. Kick your water heater down a little to 120F (all you need to kill germs, vs boil yourself), maybe fill a milk jug with water and put that in the back of the toilet to reduce water usage and you can save a lil for more vintage computers! yay! ;-)

Yeah I think the catch with global warming is the extremes are getting worse, colder up north, hotter towards equater, and then somehow the magnetic fields are swaying way out of their normal areas and looking like they'll reverse sometime "soon".

I don't think it ever drops below about -10°c here, mostly due to the Gulf Stream. Unfortunately it's always humid so it can really feel freezing cold sometimes, especially when it's windy as well :( - same problem (humidity) in summer, when we get one ... if it was a dry heat it would be OK.

We've had our regular -30C and well below -10 in the day all last month. When it goes down that far it really starts to eat into the wood supply! I've got the biggest modern wood stove money can buy but my building is a 1912 frontier general store. Even with some upgrades, it becomes impossible to keep up, even with extra electric, when it gets to -30. Anyway, that's all normal for around here.

A freind of mine in an old homestead up the mountain has to set the alarm so he can get up and feed 4 stoves. Between that, cutting wood, feeding cows and plowing a few miles of road, he's got his day planned when it gets that cold!

Now here is the interesting part. The last two weeks it has gone up to 0! That NEVER happens here in the winter. Everything is wet and frozen. What a mess. We're saving on the wood but I like it better when it stays dry. If it's going to be cold I like it to stay below -9 and above -11 if possible ... please.

The weather is just going to H*** in a handbasket! :)

Funny you never hear about the place which never gets too hot or too cold - but where the temperature is "Just Right".

Still I never hear about the Emperor Penguins complaining about their weather! It's almost as if Humans are the only species whinging about the weather! ;-)

I don't think it ever drops below about -10°c here, mostly due to the Gulf Stream. Unfortunately it's always humid so it can really feel freezing cold sometimes, especially when it's windy as well :( - same problem (humidity) in summer, when we get one ... if it was a dry heat it would be OK.
I've lived most of my life in a similar (west) cost climate. -10 is really cold when it's that wet. Here -20 is not nearly as bad. You can go out in the snow without your shoes and not get your socks wet. The same goes in the summer when it gets hot it's not nearly as bad as it is on the coast.

patscc: So I guess what with all the thawing, you guys up there need a bailout too, huh ? patscc
(Sorry, just had to say it)
Indeed, I had the basement stairwell start to fill up and had to get out ye old bucket. Fortunately most of it disappeared quickly and it cooled down just enough. However, if it happens again I will be asking for a bailout - that is, if you're offering! :p

Back