• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

On da Net

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
Anyone know of any ways to get stand-alone (i.e. not connected to anything but the wall) internet capabilities on a TRS-80 (preferebly the M-100)? Perhaps a little circuit board that you build and plug into the serial port?

Pop over to Club 100 and see what they've got. You might also check with Bitchin' 100.

Both sites are working on some fairly exciting storage options for the Model T, so they might be looking at getting them on the 'net too.

Once again, I'll refer you to the N8VEM project. There's been some recent success in setting up wireless networking for CP/M boxen. Perhaps something there will prove useful to you.

--T

I'm surprised noone posted they're own solutions yet. The one I know about but unfortunately haven't had the time (read: lazy) to implement it yet. But you can use an Palm Pilot(with ethernet) cradle to connect to the internet. It's fairly straight forward, it handles the slip and ethernet/serial part itself, you just take it apart and the pins it uses to connect to the base of the Palm are just a customized serial port, so you solder the pins to a standard 9-pin serial port. From there you just need whatever software the system uses and something to get it connected to the serial port (one friend uses it with his C-128) and you can get on the net/network.

Took a little while to find the link: http://members.shaw.ca/cue64/palmcradle.html

Although, I know a few people that just setup sharing via Windows serial or Linux and using their primary computer and a serial cable for a connection as well.

Pop over to Club 100 and see what they've got. You might also check with Bitchin' 100.

Both sites are working on some fairly exciting storage options for the Model T, so they might be looking at getting them on the 'net too.

Ummm... Well... actaully... I joined Club 100 last summer ;-) we haven't got any ideas on internet, but we figured a Lynx or Links port would be pretty impossible. Telnet capabilities would be an interesting possibilities.

Once again, I'll refer you to the N8VEM project. There's been some recent success in setting up wireless networking for CP/M boxen. Perhaps something there will prove useful to you.

--T

Sorry for the double post.

Really? Maybe an ethernet card? That's basically what I'm looking for; an ethernet card for the Model 100 that plugs in to Mr. Cereal Port. It could have a version of Links or Lynx built into it's firmware (or something similar), thus eliminating the problem of making it fit into 32k of RAM (or ROM).

Basically, about the only thing you'll be able to do is hang the M100 off from a serial port of a net-connected computer and run it as a dumb terminal. The aforementioned wireless thinggy would do this from a distance. It don't get no better than that.

--T

Back