• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

BUYER BEWARE NEW PS/2 MODEL 80's

Hello everyone its the "evil" World Express out to "screw" everyone (please)

Yes, i miquoted the "gentleman" (and i use that word lightly) in shipping costs, but i assure you i was not out to "Screw" or fraud anyone. Shipping is shipping. I apologized to him for the misquote to which he threatened me with calling the local police in that I was guilt of fraud. There have already been a few recipients of these PC's and I think from their feedback they are happy with the units ... and yes I wil NOT do business with this crybaby soif anyone wants one theres one more for sale ... let me know and thank you for the customers i have already sold to. There are businessmen and there are children ...

Yes, like I posted already. Shipping looked like it would be close to $100 to get all that heavy stuff here to Nevada. As I have a perfectly good PS2 486 setting right here, I couldn't justify spending more on those very nice model 80s you have.

Shipping charges

Shipping charges

Exactly it just infuriates me at the immaturity of some ppl. Even better after threatening me with calling the local police, he expects me to STILL do business with him. Again, I admit, i blundered on the shipping but i dont think this warrants this type of behavior and I'll be damned if i ship out a unit at a loss, especially to the likes of someone like that ... anyway moving on ...

Yup, it all depends. A lot of times even $100 for shipping for a $50 computer can still be worth it, all depends on the system. I'd pay that for several systems, it's all dependant on the deal and the system and what it's worth to the buyer.

DHL used to be nice but I didn't know they pulled out of the US, I just noticed nobody using them anymore. Prices depend on distance and size so I'm not sure who's cheapest anymore. Certainly media mail/USPS if it's something you can consider a media transaction but that doesn't allow larger shipments.

A lot of folks I know ship monitors, etc separately to ensure less bumping and greater chance of survival of the equipment although it's probably cheaper to do one larger box than a few large boxes (boxen?).

Your best bet is a different box for the monitor, preferable the original one it shipped in because the foam is contoured to the box and monitor. If you are buying NIB PS/2 and monitor you don't have to even worry about packing. ;)

I used to save my monitor boxes just in case I needed to ship them back for service under the warrenty or after. Eventually my cats ended up getting them as a playhouse and then they were recycled.

I use shreadded paper from the recylceing center, It's free there is lots of it and it dose a good job.

Your best bet is a different box for the monitor, preferable the original one it shipped in because the foam is contoured to the box and monitor. If you are buying NIB PS/2 and monitor you don't have to even worry about packing. ;)

I used to save my monitor boxes just in case I needed to ship them back for service under the warrenty or after. Eventually my cats ended up getting them as a playhouse and then they were recycled.

Shredded paper compresses so unless you pack it in VERY tight things can move and that is bad. I had a monitor shipped inside the box with a tandy 1000HX computer that thre seller only used penuts and the monitor bounced around and was ruined. Atleast UPS got lazy and didn't ask me to show them the box or insurance would not have covered it, I got the computer free after the refund but CGA monitors are kind of hard to find anymore.

From my inbox:

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
Default Re: Model 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yager
Do you have any of these left? I'll take one, if you can do $50.00 + $25.00 shipping to Michigan, zipcode 48601. TNX.

--T

Yes i have 4 units left but they are going fast i accept cresit card (ie. M/C, VISA, AMEX), but this hold a 3% surcharge , you can also mail me a check and upon the check clearing we will ship to you (takes about ~ 3 days) ... Send me an e/m to *********@*************.***

Evil One,<Big Smiley>

My previous comments were not intended to pass judgment on you as a person, or imply that you are an outright crook, however, as a businessman, you could probably use a little help. I realize that shippers can be very flexible about their rates to their better customers, employees, etc, so I optimistically made an offer, which was accepted (much to my surprise). I'm not a lawyer, but as far as I know, the correspondence above could constitute a legally binding agreement (although I don't intend to press the issue). I just want to point out that you should be more careful in what you agree to. At the time the quoted message was sent, you knew, or should have known, that the offer was too low, having shipped several already, and should have pointed out that the shipping would be calculated separately. Higher shipping would not have been a deal breaker, I ship enough to know that (short of a 75% discount) it is much costlier to ship anything that large. Raising the costs after you have accepted payment is a no-no, and it's understandable that the buyer would be upset, no matter how unrealistic their expectations.

This misunderstanding would not prevent me from dealing with you in the future, so if you run across any more choice goodies, please feel free to come back and offer them here (as you mentioned, most of your buyers were completely satisfied). You just need to be more careful about your wording when corresponding with potential customers. Thanx for reading this, and hoping to see you around here some more.

--T

Last edited:
'Preciate the comments ...

'Preciate the comments ...

'Preciate the comments ... and i wil certianly be more careful in the future, thank you ...

Got it folks!!!!!

Got it folks!!!!!

Arrived today and it is magnificent!!!!!!! Woooo! Frickin! Hooooo!

Better hurry up folks, I bought one more. Only two left I believe!!

Gonna save the next one for whoever is still left alive after I achieve room temperature! Figure I'll just open it up far enough to remove the battery and store it safely away!!

I took about 20 pics opening it up. I'm working on a temp web page to show all. Give me a while to crop and chop some of the pics and I'll post back tonight with a link.

Later,

Tom

Ok, here's the page and a couple of notes.

http://www.welook4things.com/model_80/album/index.html

The box was actually in pretty good shape. It looks a bit worse here because of the camera flash and the fact that we had like 10" of snow today. It was sitting outside on the front porch. The frayed corner is where it was sitting in moisture.

In the 6th pic (computer it is still laying in the box) that is not a scratch, but just an errant piece of packaging material.

Pic 20 should solve any debate as to what it actually weighs.

Lastly, for some reason, the keys had fallen out of the plastic bag taped to the front of the computer and were stuck under the flap inside of the inner box. I was starting to get a bit worried I was going to have to take it to a locksmith! :) No way, I was going to attempt opening up this thing myself and risk any damage.

I was scheduled to go back out to work tonight, but for some strange reason, I suddenly I felt an unused sick day coming on...

Tom

So did they ship with the battery installed, and if so does it hold a charge? Has that foam moulding on the inside rotted at all? What does a new $10K PS/2 smell like out of the box?

So did they ship with the battery installed, and if so does it hold a charge? Has that foam moulding on the inside rotted at all? What does a new $10K PS/2 smell like out of the box?

Funny you should ask, I just walked into the shop and thought to myself how wonderful the smell of a new computer is. :D

The batteries were in place when shipped but did not leak at all. Dead as a door nail I suppose.

Yep, the foam over the years is really fragile to the touch but still looks like new. Not sure what to do here yet. Thinking of maybe some air condition self adhesive stuff, real thin. Or maybe do nothing and just be extremely careful with it. The appearance of it is still quite good.

Tom

After looking again, the foam is really good. The first piece I touched on the edge felt a bit sticky, but after looking better, it is still in amazingly good shape. Absolutely no reason do to anything here.

Last edited:
Well after a few confirmed "thumbs up" from the guys, I'm seeing about ordering one of the last remaining. Hope I get one!

--Ryan

First couple of boots, error 162. Then it tried to boot to dos 6.22 but couldn't allocate memory. Then booted to dos 6.22 one time and seemed to read the floppy alright. Re-booted and now back to 162's. Since error 162 is a CMOS error it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to do much else here tonight due to the battery. But hey what would you expect after all these years!

Also thinking that a new thread on this would be wise. I realize I'm veering off course here a bit!

Last edited:
Ouch, 8514 monitor , my back is hurting just thinking about those :)
I remember using the 8514 when they first came out, I think they cost
over $1000. There was a special adapter card too which I think cost
as much as the monitor.

Ok, here's the page and a couple of notes.

Tom

What type of hard drive is in that Model 80 ? I remember they came
with SCSI or ESDI. A friend gave me a Model 60 , which is a 286
and has the ESDI hard drive. I havent tried to boot it up yet because
the battery is dead.

Back