• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 60/80 floppy drive

I've always admired the model 80. A year ago I replaced a model 70 drive, and I remember that the drives are not interchangeable. I wonder if a mod 60 drive would fit becase the chassis are about the same.

From a bit of research, it appears that the Model 60 drives would indeed work. As a matter of fact, the 30 and 65 drives SHOULD also work. At any rate, I'm looking for at least ONE of these drives, and/or a working controller board. I'd like to ideally have two floppy drives in this thing, but at least one original.

Does anyone know what the front lower cover is for? It looks like it's removable to mount more stuff in, or 5.25 drives. As a matter of fact, there is a drive cage inside and the cover appears removable fairly easily. I realize that cage is for a second HDD, but has anyone heard of taking off that plate and putting additional equiptment there, such as a 5.25 drive, an SCSI device, or something?

--Ryan

From a bit of research, it appears that the Model 60 drives would indeed work. As a matter of fact, the 30 and 65 drives SHOULD also work...

By ¨30¨, you mean the 8086-based Model 30 (the 30 286 used 34-pin drives). And those floppy drives are 720Kb. Although there doesn´t seem to be as many around, I´ve never seen the Sony brand of drives (designed for systems like the 80) fail quite like the other versions.

Does anyone know what the front lower cover is for? It looks like it's removable to mount more stuff in, or 5.25 drives. As a matter of fact, there is a drive cage inside and the cover appears removable fairly easily. I realize that cage is for a second HDD, but has anyone heard of taking off that plate and putting additional equiptment there, such as a 5.25 drive, an SCSI device, or something?

Usually it is just to help access a hard drive in the forward bay, but CD-ROMs or even internal 5-1/4¨ floppy drives (a particular MCA board with an FDC) can be put there (there is special replacement bezel for those)...

all of the lytics (small silver cylinders) are bad some of mine were even leaking. its something about the brand they used.also "You people are obsessed with capacitors. I've got stuff that has been sitting, unused, in unheated garages in Canada for 20 years and you power them up and away they go." im working on an 80s vcr were just because the used one off brand of capacitor :cough:sanyo:cough: the head spins at the wrong speed.

All I know is that I was really, really uncomfortable with the idea of dismantling a perfectly good drive and using it's logic board to test an unknown drive with. I would have felt super foolish if I'd ended up destroying the only functional drive I own while performing this half-brained test of mine. :)

The good news is that I repeated the process on drive #02, with the known good logic board, and the second drive passed all of the reference disk tests as well.

I'm not really sure if all of these machines have the same exact problem, but the two drives I have, appear to be defective in a similar way.

I'll try and post some clearer pics of the drive tomorrow. The ones I've already taken didn't turn out all that well. Really fuzzy. I don't think I am ever going to get the hang of the settings on this stupid camera.

Tom

the only real way to test them is with an esr meter which i don't have and not going to pretend i know how to use.

but the problem with these is they just go leaky and by leaky i don't mean fluid leaking i mean they let to much electricity through or leak electricity. the capacitors on these drives just have a problem with aging badly same as the capacitors in my VCR.

Diskette drives for the IBM PS/2 Model 80

Diskette drives for the IBM PS/2 Model 80

I want to comment on possible diskette drive replacements for the Model 80, since this information may be useful if repairing the original drives isn't possible. Based on my experience with IBM PS/2 diskette drives and after researching the PS/2 hardware maintenance manual (83G8990), it seems to me that a variety of diskette drives are compatible with the Model 80.

Here is a listing of possible diskette drives:

Code:
[B]FRU part number 64F0162 (ASM part numbers include 64F1008, 72X6068, 72X6112)[/B]
Description: 34-pin, 1/3 height, small/thin button, LED located below slot
Applicable IBM PS/2 models: 25, 30, 55, 60, 65, 80, 85, 90, 95

[B]FRU part number 64F0207 (ASM part numbers include 15F7503)[/B]
Description: 40-pin, 1/3 height, small/thin button, LED located below slot
Applicable IBM PS/2 models: 50, 70

[B]FRU part number 72X8523 (ASM part numbers include 90X6766)[/B]
Description: 40-pin, 1/2 height, big/thick button, LED located above slot
Applicable IBM PS/2 models: 30, 60, 65, 80

It would appear the new Model 80s discussed here have FRU part number 72X8523 (card-edge connector with large button). FRU part number 64F0207 should also work (same kind of drive but with a smaller button). I say this because my Model 50s can use both 64F0207 (original) and 72X8523. The only problem here is finding a matching bezel (LED position, button hole). FRU part number 64F0162 should also work because some 60, 65, and 80 models originally came with the 34-pin connector with the small button. Again, with this one you need a matching bezel and a proper cable.

...The only problem here is finding a matching bezel (LED position, button hole). FRU part number 64F0162 should also work because some 60, 65, and 80 models originally came with the 34-pin connector with the small button. Again, with this one you need a matching bezel and a proper cable.

And a proper drive sled (the spacer or platform under the drive). After the initial PS/2 models (30, 50, 60, 70, 80), the drives shifted to 34-pin (power and data on the cable) units. As the submodels advanced for the original systems, some of them also were modified to have the 34-pin units. But in many cases the 34-pin drives (like on the P70 and P75 models) could be as troublesome as the 40-pin edge-connector versions.

I'll expand more with time, showing the upgrades that can be done to some units, and what I think will be the better fix...

Bezels are a minor point, and I have to see what I can do in that regard...

Floppy S/N

Floppy S/N

I'm curious if they're all from the same batch.
I haven't powered mine up yet, so I don't know if the floppy works or not. I need to have a little think about it.
The S/N of my drive is: G30163942, and it's a Mitsu MF355W-99M# with a date code of Mar 89.
patscc

slight corrosion

slight corrosion

I've got mine out, and the cover off. There's a couple of spots where the solder by the caps looks suspect, and one of them looks like the solder paste didn't quite melt during reflow.
I'll post some pics later tonight, and see if I can do some in-circuit testing with the power off of the little buggers to see if they truly are bad, or if it's just a crappy solder job.
I did notice a bit of tarnish on the trim pots. I'll try checking them as well to see if maybe the wiper needs some attention.
On the motor PCB, there's a 33uF one, C9, where the solder looks particularily ucky.

Has anyone been able to observe if the screw transport for the head is moving freely ?

Now I gotta go and find the 'ol magnifying glass.

patscc

At first I had some trouble getting the corkscrew head mover to bugdge, but even after I got it to move freely I had the same issue. I tracked it as far foward as i could and upon power-up it tracks to 0.

--Ryan

It could well be that the drive logic on these drives suffered from not having the solder in the solder bath not quite hot enough during their wave soldering process.

It wouldn't be the first time it's happened to a piece of electronic equipment.

Perhaps someone that has one and is good with a soldering iron could reflow all the components from the solder side of the board and see if that helps alleviate the problem.

I only suggest this because the drives all seem to be from the same manufacturer.

board

board

Druid6900 said...soldering iron could reflow all the components from the solder side of the board
There are components on both sides of the logic board & both sides are soldered. Haven't pulled it completely off yet (no table space to unfurl the 'ol anti-static mat), but looking at the bottom with a flashlight shows a couple of inductors( coil on form construction, NOT encapsulated), that might need a touch of the iron as well.
The problem is if I do all the stuff to the drive I can think of first (including touching up the solder), and it ends up working, we won't know if it was my pre-power up fiddling with it or just luck. And conversely, if it ends up a dud, we won't know if it's because of my fiddling.
So what to do, power up and see, or fiddle first ?
Has anyone's floppy worked right out the box ? And come on, post your floppy's serial numbers dates, it would be real interesting to see if they're from the same time frame.

Edit: This seems to running in parallel with the "IBM PS/2 Model 60/80 floppy drive" thread in the wanted section. That's where I put my serial number, and an earlier post describing the some of the poor-looking solder joints, so now I'm all kinds of confused between the two threads.

patscc

Last edited:
Drive slides too

Drive slides too

Drive slides--I knew I was forgetting something. You're right about the bezels as they are not a big deal unless the look of your PS/2 is important. I hope your project to retrofit a modern floppy drive for use in a PS/2 is successful--one of these days there won't be any more original PS/2 diskette drives that actually work.

Drive - #01 - S/N G30176481 - Date March 1989 - MF355W-99M3
Drive - #02 - S/N ????????? - Date Sept 1989 - MF355W-99M3

Can't locate S/N on 2nd drive.

And I agree, multiple threads on this is getting confusing.

Last edited:
Well, add my name to the group. I finally got around to setting my 8580 up and just like everybody else, my floppy is bad. I removed it from the drive bay and took off the cover to see if the head was binding. It looked fine. During startup the head would move back and forth freely. However when the boot from floppy started you could see the head move and start reading the disk. Then it would just stop. I had a spare I got off of eB@y a couple of years ago and it was bad also. Next I took a floppy out of a Model 70 and hooked it up to the 8580. This drive worked fine, boots up and reads the reference disk. I'll be able to load as OS to the hard drive with it. Unfortunately, it won't fit in the 8580.

That 2nd picture of the caps reminds me of the movie Andromeda Strain (1971 original version) or maybe that one where the rocks grow into huge spires when they get wet.

Back