• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: S-100 Floppy Disk Controller Board

PacMan

Experienced Member
I need a floppy disk controller card for my SOL-20 computer. Preferably I would like to have one with the WD177X controller, alternatively WD179X. I don't need cards with NEC 765 or Intel 8207X compatible controllers.

Anyone ?

/PacMan

I'm pretty sure I have at least one of those tucked away in my box-o-S100 cards (can't remember the brand, but I do remember the controller chip!)

I'll check and get back to you.

Some of those cards are destined for the Marketplace anyway.

Funny you should mention Sol-20s. I just got a new one today with a N* controller and some other goodies.

Now I'm hunting for keyboard foam to repair it.

Super,

Eagerly waiting :)

There is one guy selling SOL-20 foams on ebay, rather expensive though. I bought those and my keyboard now works perfectly. Besides missing the '*' key :-(

I have a couple of keyboards to rebuild and was thinking of punching a small stock of pads (adhesive, foam, probably mylar or similar), maybe I should punch a lot? The ones on eb recently were very pricey.

I cooked up a quick PS/2 keyboard interface a long time ago to start testing the sols, sans keyboards, but haven't gotten back to them in a while, just getting some free time again.

Last edited:
My solution to the SOL keyboard fix was to get a Sun type 4 keyboard and steal the foams from it.

They are the same size and weight but they use a newer foam that should last longer and they are, themselves, newer.

The keyboard cost me about a buck at a scrapper and it had 20 more pads than I needed.

Good reminder.

I got one sun type 4 and the foam was in poor shape--almost no bounce. I suspect there were funky chemicals in the air based on where it came from. I couldn't find any more at a reasonable cost at the time, so I cooked up a few PS/2 adapter boards until I could look around again or make some up--and then I forgot about the sun solution. If I can find the right foam and adhesives, cooking my own batch seems like a decent project--until the 200th punch :-D

Yeah, if you can mass produce them I'm sure there is a market, albeit a smallish one.

But $100 for pads was more than I was willing to pay.

Back