• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Backup Tandy 1000 RLX Hard Drive

SyQuEsT

Hello,

I have to extract all data from an old ST-351A/X hard drive. The computer can't work anymore so I have to think about another solution. Any idea ?

I know XT IDE isn't like the IDE from last years. Any help is welcome !

Thanks !

Hello,

I have to extract all data from an old ST-351A/X hard drive. The computer can't work anymore so I have to think about another solution. Any idea ?

I know XT IDE isn't like the IDE from last years. Any help is welcome !

Thanks !

I have that HD and it will connect to a modern computer using a modern cable, not SATA cable mind you.

You need to change a jumper on the HD from 8 bit to 16 bit.

But will the drive be in the right format once you change the jumpers? I'd look for an xt class machine to plug it in to. Where are you located SyQuEsT?

But will the drive be in the right format once you change the jumpers? I'd look for an xt class machine to plug it in to. Where are you located SyQuEsT?

I maybe wrong, but I think XP can read any of the older fat tables.

My uncertainty is the 8 bit vs 16 bit ness of the whole thing.
As the "A/X" in its model number indicates, the Seagate ST-351A/X can be set to operate in either IDE-XT or IDE-AT (a.k.a. ATA) mode. In the Tandy 1000RLX (or any other Tandy 1000 series computer with IDE, except the 1000RSX), it must operate in IDE-XT mode. When installed in any modern computer (almost any non-Tandy 1000-series PC with a 286 or higher), it must be set to operate in IDE-AT mode. This is done by changing the jumpers on the drive. The following is excerpted from the Tandy 1000 series Tech Notes & Jumpers manual.

2s8nudc.jpg

b7l54g.jpg

149t4jr.jpg

The data on the drive remains intact and unaltered regardless of which interface it is switched to. The only thing you can't do is set it to the master position and try to boot it up on another PC. Tandy DOS is not compatible with regular PCs and the drive will not boot on any non-Tandy 1000-series computer. So for the purpose of data recovery, it's best to set it to slave mode and daisy-chain it with the computer's main hard drive (set to master mode), or connect it to a secondary IDE interface (typically used for CD-ROM drives).

So the xt vs at setting doesn't do any kind of translation on the data as it is on the drive? I'd still be wary until I knew for sure, but if that is the only expiditious route for this person then I guess it is the only course of action.

So the xt vs at setting doesn't do any kind of translation on the data as it is on the drive? I'd still be wary until I knew for sure, but if that is the only expiditious route for this person then I guess it is the only course of action.
The data on the drive is the same for either interface. The XT vs. AT setting just changes the connection by which the drive allows you to get to that data.

I know this for a fact because I just got a Seagate ST-351A/X on eBay to upgrade my 1000RL (vs. its original 20 MB ST-325X drive). It came with a blank format that the seller did in IDE-AT mode (it came jumpered that way). I switched it into IDE-XT mode, installed it into the Tandy, and it was able to read and use the existing DOS partition and format without any changes.

Great to know. That was what I would look for. First hand information.

Last edited:
Wow ! Thanks guys !! I'll check that as soon as possible and give you news..

kb2syd : i'm from Quebec, Canada

Back