• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DECstation 325c

Kaypro

Experienced Member
Well, I've recieved a DECSation 325c from Docred. Now, before anyone says anything, the 300 series DECStations were 386 PC's, not true DEC machines (so this Thread is in the right section).

Anyhow, upon opening it up, The CPU module, as well as the RAM card and Video Card, are actually from Tandy. I've done a bit more research, and it seems that the DECStation 325c is actually a rebranded Tandy 5000 (though the 5000 seems to be MCA-compatible, according to the Ads, but the DECstation is not). The DECStation only has 16-bit ISA slots, as well as 2 RAM card slots and the processor card slot.

The Cases seem to be the same (though there are very few photo's of the 5000), right down to the keylock and button arrangement. It's an interesting discovery, since I haven't seen a Tandy 5000.

As a side note, does anyone here have any DECStation 300 series info or Documentation? I can't find much at all on them....

This won't be of much help but I found that Tandy put out a laptop model which was virtually identical to the Grid 1755 (they had taken over Grid) and a DEC laptop. I used parts off the DEC to repair my Grid 1755 wth no problem.

If the Tandy site is still alive you might check there for more info. Also I've found doing a search of old usenet sites valuable many times, altho I believe Google has abandoned much of the old Deja-Vu material.

So you're back in Saskatoon ?

Lawrence

Yep, I'm back. I have to get my Collection out of storage (though I have a ton of newly gotten machines...)

So, based on what we've found, it seems DEC must've licensed Tandy's stuff from them.

I haven't found much information on the 5000 yet, even on what's left of the Tandy site. I think they just didn't sell well at all (The one picture of a 5000 I've found is an ad, and it says the price was $8499 or something, which might explain it)

Back