• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some bad news, some good news, and some VERY good news about my new XT.

per

Veteran Member
I have now gotten the ability to look at my new XT. You problably know what's in it if you have read my earlier posts, and I can now confirm that the multicard is an AST six pack.

The first thing I did was to take the system apart and identifying and cleaning stuff. Here is what I figured:
  1. It's an early model XT with the first PCB layout (later 64-256kb XTs [like the other one I got] uses the PCB layout for the later models)
  2. It was originally assembled in New York the 24 February 1983, 7am (didn't they start to sell them in March that year?)
  3. It got the disk protecting plate (was this made by IBM?)
  4. It got the keyboard cover (was this too made by IBM?)
  5. It got a Model 1 full heigth floppy drive
  6. It got a half height 720Kb floppy drive
  7. It got a Seagate ST-225
  8. The "Model 5160" sticker on the back is gone
  9. some paint on the inside of the unit was missing
  10. Three of the expansion cards are original and has chip datings from 1982/83
  11. The clone 200W PSU states it is "switchable" between 120v and 240v
  12. The head is missing on one of the screws holding the on/off switch in place
  13. The overall unit and some of the expansion cards are missing a LOT of screws.

Then I read on the PSU that it was switchable, so I decided to try it. Of course I didn't plug it into the system board, in cause of miss-voltage, but I connected it ONLY to the full heigth floppy disk drive. When I turned the power on, there was abig BANG, and the fuse for my room went out. I turned it off, and opened it. What I saw was that one of the transistors had blown (one of the bigger ones with a small cooling-plate. it had splitted it's plastic shield open, and you could actually see the silicon plate!). It might have been that missing screw-head that shorted something.

Then I decided to look at the monitor, and I found that all board had cracks in them (except the monitor's PSU boards). Nothing to keep, and I have put it up for tossing (don't know when the next time we're going to the dump are).

At last, I decided to move over the PSU from my other XT and test the unit. I removed all cards, exept the hard drive controller (WD1002-WX1) and the FDC. I also moved over the ATI card because I couldn't use the real CGA card (lack of monitor). When I turned it on, it counted all up to 256, the A: drive spun, and a short beep appeard (as usual). The A: drive then tried to load, and then the hard drive went active.

To my BIG surprise, the hard drive actually works! Somehow, the previous used parked the drive heads before storing it, and because of that, it booted flawlessy! The other great news is that the drive contained the Orchid PCTurbo 286e drivers, and yes, there is a NOTABLE difference in speed when the turbo board is enabled (a dir of the root dierctory takes 2 seconds instead of 10!). It is EMM compatible too, or it can be used as a RAMDisk.

I have provided the drivers here, but if you are going to use them, make sure to alter the setting files (*.bat, Config.sys and Turbo.sys) as of they contain the startup for my system. Your system might have another setup than mine.

@moderators, I hope it is okay to post the drivers because the board is incompatible with versions of DOS above 5.0.

Attachments

• PCTurbo286e.zip
    42.3 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for posting the drivers !

I noticed in the config.sys in the zip file it contains this line :

DEVICE=\BIN\3FIVE.SYS /I

3FIVE.SYS is a special driver I use for my Manzana 3.5 external
floppy. It uses a special card which takes up one slot in my XT.
Does your XT also contain that card ? It would probably
be labeled as Manzana Microsystems.

Thanks for posting the drivers !

I noticed in the config.sys in the zip file it contains this line :

DEVICE=\BIN\3FIVE.SYS /I

3FIVE.SYS is a special driver I use for my Manzana 3.5 external
floppy. It uses a special card which takes up one slot in my XT.
Does your XT also contain that card ? It would probably
be labeled as Manzana Microsystems.

No problem.

About the floppy drive, no... but it got a 3.5" internal floppy, but for some reason, the DIP swiches on the motherboard is set to only 1 floppy (the 5.25" one in that cause). Maybe the driver has something to do with the 3.5" floppy...

No problem.

About the floppy drive, no... but it got a 3.5" internal floppy, but for some reason, the DIP swiches on the motherboard is set to only 1 floppy (the 5.25" one in that cause). Maybe the driver has something to do with the 3.5" floppy...

What is the internal 3.5 drive attached to ? Maybe there was an internal
version of the Manzana drive. Is the 3.5 drive accessible ? Does it read
1.44 MB diskettes or 720 KB ?

What is the internal 3.5 drive attached to ? Maybe there was an internal
version of the Manzana drive. Is the 3.5 drive accessible ? Does it read
1.44 MB diskettes or 720 KB ?
I just took a look at the 3.5" drive, and it turns out to actually be a Manzana drive (Model MDI3). It hooks up to the standard floppy disk controller, but due to lack of power lines, I haven't been able to test it yet (the standard XT PSU has connectors for only two disk-based devices, and they're currently used by the 5.25" drive and the HDD).

Another note, I also got a mouse with the system, but I don't got the mousepad for it.

Bad news about the PSU. The AT PSU I sent you info on in the PM has connectors for 3,5" floppy drives too, so you should be able to mod it into the XT psu case and also be able to use all floppy drives with it.

Most older PSU's , as mentioned here, requires the 110V/220V switch to be manually toggled before power is applied.

This was a common problem at school some years ago, when some of the "cool" boys decided to switch the PC's to 110V before leaving the classroom. Next computer class, BANG...

There was a 120/240V switch on my XT's clone PSU, but not connected to anything!

You can gut a standard AT supply and with a bit of head-scratching re-wire it into the XT PSU case.

Thanks much for the drivers, I've been looking for those for years... Any chance you could post the current jumper settings for your card?

Regards,

A6

I know this is kind of an old topic, but I just want to note some things about the drivers. In order to make them work, the path to TURBODEV.SYS (in the TURBO.SYS config file) must be valid. Also, if you want to boot the turbo-card from floppy, you must specify so by using the /f parameter, and the disk in drive A: must be bootable.

The /! switch activates the coprocessor, but it should be noted that the driver warns you about doing so.

Instead of reopening a very old thread, have you considered writing a Wiki article or some form of 'How-To' for these drivers? I think your intention is to get this information archived and accessible; that would go further toward that goal.

It's a good point. I just wonder whether the current wiki is really accessible enough though. Once bitten and all that.

I’d just posted about searching for these drivers so excellent job for sharing and I’m very glad I found your post.

If there is any more information I’d be glad to learn it

Back