• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Formatting c-64 disks

Dore

Ok, this is beginning to be a PAIN. I've searched the web for info, and while I do get some, none of it seems correct. I've tried every single command line I've been given, and I just keep getting syntax errors. I need to format some old disks that have nothing but junk on them, but I just can't seem to do it! Could someone give me the EXACT commands to do this function? It should be easy, but it's not. The drive is number 8, and it's a standard 1541. Thanks in advance!

Ok, this is beginning to be a PAIN. I've searched the web for info, and while I do get some, none of it seems correct. I've tried every single command line I've been given, and I just keep getting syntax errors.

It would be useful to see exactly what you tried.

I don't have a C64 at hand, but I think this works:
Code:
OPEN 15,8,15,"NEW:DORES DISK,01":CLOSE 15

I don't have a C64 at hand, but I think this works:
Code:
OPEN 15,8,15,"NEW:DORES DISK,01":CLOSE 15

Yes, that'll work. Or, substitue "NEW" with just "N" for faster typing. :)

"DORES DISK" can be substituted with any disk name, up to 16 charachters. "01" can be substituted with any 2 charachters. This is the disk ID#.

Right on, that one worked. Thanks a lot.

The file I had downloaded that listed the commands had "open 1, 8, 15" at the beginning, and that was what was screwing it up.

Right on, that one worked. Thanks a lot.

The file I had downloaded that listed the commands had "open 1, 8, 15" at the beginning, and that was what was screwing it up.

Then did it have:

PRINT #15, "N0:name,id"

This would not have worked because you opened file #1.

Cheers,

80sFreak

I was having the same problem allover the net I kept seeing OPEN1,8,15,"NO:"DISKNAME,ID":CLOSE 1 Which said file not found everytime I used it. Yesterday I found this one it seems to work good.
OPEN 1,8,15: PRINT#1,"N:Diskname, ID": CLOSE 1

LoL not sure how that happened sorry bout that. I was trying to type this

OPEN 1,8,15: PRINT#1,"N:DISKNAME, ID": CLOSE 1

(the forum automatically converts text to smilies unless you specify not to)

By the way, it can be nice to point out that in order to reformat (i.e. empty) a disk that already is of the right format, you can leave out the ID attribute. It is similar to when you make a quick format of a floppy disk in Windows.

I was having the same problem allover the net I kept seeing OPEN1,8,15,"NO:"DISKNAME,ID":CLOSE 1 Which said file not found everytime I used it.

This won't work because you need to use the number 0, not the letter O, after the command N. This number, which specifies the drive number, is optional when you're using drive 0 (which you always are, unless you have a dual drive, in which case you could be using drive 0 or 1).

<<sound of me kissing Andrew's feet>>

Ooooo, I was just wondering where in the world one would put the drive number!! My 8050 dual drive unit is still sick but if the day ever arrives where the 2 outside led come on and go off, and the middle one goes red/green/red/green, then I will be all set. I wasn't getting anywhere past the "2 outside ones solid green and middle solid red" phase so likely it will go back into the closet soon. These single wide mobile homes only have room for about 5 projects at one time. And to do the 5, you have to be a weird bachelor type with computer crap everywhere in the entire place. I did manage to get my bed mostly cleared off <whew, wasn't easy>.

Back