• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I hit it lucky today

Let us know if it works first!

The printer is interesting, what model is it? To determine whether it's working hold down the reset or ready button when you turn it on, and if there is paper in the tractor, the test pattern will print.

Bill

Click and weep gentlemen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180341426229&mfe=sidebar

Now, I'm not a big Commodore person, but £15 was too good an offer to pass up. I don't think that I've ever seen one of these before. The big question is: how much is it worth? :twisted:

Wow! That’s just amazing even if it doesn’t work you’ve got a real bargain.
I can’t believe he had it on a buy it now for just £15. It’s got to be worth a lot more than that for spares alone.

I’m seriously jealous.

Well done & let us know if it all works…

Just had a look at his description to see if there was a catch.

Other than he prefers collection it all seems ok.

Although he did write :- "I would hate to have to skip this but I have lost my storage space so it needs a new home"

It’s comments like that, that make me wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. I shudder to think how many retro computers are going into skips these days.

I don’t think charity shops will accept them anymore due to electrical health a safety regs. Well at least this one was spared the big Yellow dustbin…

Last edited:
awesome find. i passed up one of those in a local thrift store many years ago and have regretted it ever since. congratulations.

Great find! It's definitely worth a lot more than 15 notes, even if it doesn't work. If that turns out to be the case, you've found the right place to get assistance fixing it too - just have a skim over the latest page of threads and you'll see what I mean.

The printer looks like a 2022 to me. See if you can get the seller to dig up the cable though. I was looking for one lately and found out they generally fetch (considerably) more than that entire system cost you.

Other than he prefers collection it all seems ok.
I'd be more concerned if they seller didn't offer collection as an option. Picking it up is also good for the buyer if at all practical. Shipping will be pricey and there's less risk of it being damaged in transit.

I'd be more concerned if they seller didn't offer collection as an option. Picking it up is also good for the buyer if at all practical. Shipping will be pricey and there's less risk of it being damaged in transit.

I shudder to think what that lot would cost to post.

So yes collection would be preferable. If you live close enough to collect. Driving a few hundred miles to pick it up ain’t going to be cheap. ..

Collection is also much safer if you're anywhere within range, you don't have to trust it to someone else. While you're there, he might even have other old junk that he'll let ya haul off for free.

--T

The PET by itself is in the 150 $US range, depending how badly someone wants it, of course.

You will likely find that, if it boots up properly, that a lot of the keys don't work or get worse and worse as you try and use them. My PET is still waiting for me to get out the screwdriver and take the entire keyboard apart (groan).

Being in the UK, you might get some US bites but as expected, most US people will not even consider shipping from the UK. Especially now with wondering if you will have a job in the next week.

Yes, a nice haul. I believe somewhere around £50 would have been a fair price, one not inflated by crazy bidding. Chuck's figure of $150 sounds astronomous by my standards, but perhaps PETs over in the USA do fetch 2-3 times as much as they do in Europe?

Hmm, Chuck is used to a pound vs. dollar of 1 to 2.

I see it is currently 1 Pound Sterling = 1.41723 US Dollars.

Which is down a bunch from my 1 to 2 ratio. Chuckle, time to go on vacation in the UK?? Nah, probably still foggy and cold there.

It does seem that good condition CBM guys go for around the $150 point. We haven't heard yet if the "score" one even works.

1zdygjs.jpg

i bought one of those too along with a printer,discdrive, manuals and other papers and original box for about 34 pounds (400 SEK with the shipping included)

Well I picked the comp up this morning (I'm eager), and the deal was all kosher.

The computer originally wouldn't boot, but I've fixed that problem. I found that some of the little smoothing capacitors on the 12v bus on the PCB were failing short circuit. This led to the heatsink warming rapidly and nothing appearing on the screen. I removed the offending capacitors but I don't have any suitable replacements. Hopefully the others will hold up. Keys all seem to be fine.

No idea about the printer. There's no cable, but I presume it doesnt work.

I underestimated how huge this thing is. I actually have no space for it anywhere in my house! I may fiddle around with it for a while and then sell it on eBay before prices crash and/or the computer goes into meltdown.

Well I picked the comp up this morning (I'm eager), and the deal was all kosher.

The computer originally wouldn't boot, but I've fixed that problem. I found that some of the little smoothing capacitors on the 12v bus on the PCB were failing short circuit. This led to the heatsink warming rapidly and nothing appearing on the screen. I removed the offending capacitors but I don't have any suitable replacements. Hopefully the others will hold up. Keys all seem to be fine.

No idea about the printer. There's no cable, but I presume it doesnt work.

I underestimated how huge this thing is. I actually have no space for it anywhere in my house! I may fiddle around with it for a while and then sell it on eBay before prices crash and/or the computer goes into meltdown.

Thanks for letting us know.

So I guess it was worth it. If you do decide to sell it I hope you get something for your troubles.

I’ve only seen one of these in over 10 years of Car booting and I was put off because of its size. Something’s I can "sneak in" but these are a little too big to quickly stick under the bed or behind a closet.:mrgreen:

The boxes I've used to ship PETs are 50x50x55 cm, and it is pretty much the size of the actual unit too with only a few centimeter to spare. I'm afraid printers are worth zero to most collectors, despite being 30+ years old and quite incommon. Perhaps we'll regret this in 10-20 years to come but right now I find old matrix printers just a waste of space even if they're original branded.

The boxes I've used to ship PETs are 50x50x55 cm, and it is pretty much the size of the actual unit too with only a few centimeter to spare. I'm afraid printers are worth zero to most collectors, despite being 30+ years old and quite incommon. Perhaps we'll regret this in 10-20 years to come but right now I find old matrix printers just a waste of space even if they're original branded.

Very true…

I had an original Commodore printer a few years ago, tried to sell it no Joy tried to give it away still no joy so I think I took it to the dump, it was boxed too! . Not sure if I’d do that these days but printers are just too bulky.

On last year's Retro Gathering we had an auction of vintage items. One person had brought a PET 4023 printer with TWO IEEE-488 cables. His starting bid was 10 SEK, less than £1. Perhaps it was the wrong forum for vintage PET stuff but he only managed to get one - quite reluctant even - bidder.

On last year's Retro Gathering we had an auction of vintage items. One person had brought a PET 4023 printer with TWO IEEE-488 cables. His starting bid was 10 SEK, less than £1. Perhaps it was the wrong forum for vintage PET stuff but he only managed to get one - quite reluctant even - bidder.

It’s quite sad really as you said they might become quite desirable in the future.

I guess when postage costs a lot more then the items worth, I think it’s the universe’s way of telling you something.

That said some brands do well I’ve seen some early Atari 8-bit printers go for a reasonable price by no means a fortune but still more then the postage costs and I’ve seen some Sinclair printers do well.

I guess no one wants the larger ones.

I think part of the shipping thing is psychological; often someone will gladly pay $25 + $5 S&H for an item, but not $5 +$25 S&H for the same thing...

Back