• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

run modem BBS over telnet?

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
i know people do this sometimes, for example i've logged onto bbses on C64 machine over the internet. how is this stuff forwarded through the intertubes to allow telnet access? i'd love to put a BBS on my XT clone and up a null modem from it to the p200mmx next to it to forward it to the net. any clue guys?

i'd program a telnet-accessable BBS for DOS but i want it to be able to play old door games like LORD and i'm not sure how i'd go about that, especially since i use QB eek.

i know people do this sometimes, for example i've logged onto bbses on C64 machine over the internet. how is this stuff forwarded through the intertubes to allow telnet access? i'd love to put a BBS on my XT clone and up a null modem from it to the p200mmx next to it to forward it to the net. any clue guys?

i'd program a telnet-accessable BBS for DOS but i want it to be able to play old door games like LORD and i'm not sure how i'd go about that, especially since i use QB eek.

Very nice initiative i want to do a similar thing with my XT, but first i will visit your BBS.

JT

I'm pretty sure it's been discussed here before, but basically these older machines are put behind a Linux box that emulates a modem. The Linux box can take an incoming socket connection and simulate a phone ringing to the BBS software. Once the BBS answers the socket connection is established and then each character in or out goes in it's own TCP/IP socket.

I'm pretty sure it's been discussed here before, but basically these older machines are put behind a Linux box that emulates a modem. The Linux box can take an incoming socket connection and simulate a phone ringing to the BBS software. Once the BBS answers the socket connection is established and then each character in or out goes in it's own TCP/IP socket.

i've got it working actually i found a program for windows that does it... sorry about the useless thread, you can delete it if you want to. check the thread in the link exchange section for info if you want to try it. i have legend of the red dragon up! :D

Yes, Bloomquist's program certainly makes setting up a link easy and we had one running last month for a few days. However, it did seem to choke on large file transfers (xmodem when over about 5k) and it is a bit unclear why because xmodem splits the data up into 128 byte packets with an acknowledge each time so there should not be problems with buffers overrunning etc. Without access to the source code it is a bit tricky to debug.

Another avenue to explore is to use Lantronix serial to ethernet devices. I got some secondhand on ebay recently for a good price. A group of us on the N8VEM forum are actively exploring this at present, with the aim of replacing a dedicated PC with a small box that only uses 4 watts of power. I spent a few hours last night experimenting with these and it is *almost* working. Stay tuned, as we are hoping to have a BBS up running sometime in the next few weeks. We need to get the telnet ports sorted, and then get portforwarding on the router sorted, and then find a solution to automatically update the IP address if the ISP changes it. So a few problems to solve. It is a fun little project.

Back