• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

good source for vintage parts

Are these people mad?! $64.99 for an 8088-2? I must have given Mr. Lynch close to a thousand USD worth of chips if prices are like that!

Are these people mad?! $64.99 for an 8088-2? I must have given Mr. Lynch close to a thousand USD worth of chips if prices are like that!

And the 386 motherboard they want $225 for is the same type I found in the trash not so long ago. And mine came with 8 MB ram & a 486 overdrive CPU..

But hey, you've got to cut them some slack.. If you buy two XT's you'll get $20 discount on the $849 price.. I wonder how they manage to sell anything priced like that.

Consider an industry still running some business critical system on a 286. For numerous of reasons, they can't safely upgrade it to a newer system without spending at least $25,000 on redesign. Suddenly $579 for a spare - identical - 286 seems like a very good deal in case the first one breaks down on Tuesday morning and you have a big order to finish by Friday afternoon.

Consider an industry still running some business critical system on a 286. For numerous of reasons, they can't safely upgrade it to a newer system without spending at least $25,000 on redesign. Suddenly $579 for a spare - identical - 286 seems like a very good deal in case the first one breaks down on Tuesday morning and you have a big order to finish by Friday afternoon.

Agree.. I think TI still run old IBM AS/4 mainframes so you're probably right about some companies still using 286's for legacy software and systems.

Hmm, yeah you've got a point there. It's probably like those overpriced vintage items on e*ay that never sell..

And they still haven't sold that $150 486 motherboard in an XT case. Nor will they ever sell it.

There's a seller on eBay called 'newsgroups' that has similar outrageous prices. I get excited everytime I see something come up for sale for the XT, until I notice one of their $1000 bare-bones XT computers...

There's a seller on eBay called 'newsgroups' that has similar outrageous prices. I get excited everytime I see something come up for sale for the XT, until I notice one of their $1000 bare-bones XT computers...

I like the great quality, hi-res pictures of their items too. I mean really,
for $50 you can buy a decent digital camera.

Hell, I just purchased another WORKING Panasonic T6600C with 16MB of ram, good 510MB scsi hard drive, good LCD screen, working VGA adapter, and Win 3.1 and Word Perfect 6 installed for $13.50. So, yes, NOT a good source there.

I am glad that I am not the only one who balked at their prices.

I am not paying $89.99 for a 1.2Mb floppy or $600 for an EGA monitor.

I am trying to work with some local recyclers here to get them to let me see the really old stuff before they ship it out to be brocken down. I am not sure how successful this will be, but its worth a shot. They tend to dismiss the really old stuff since few people are interested in it.

Last edited:

I bought something from this newsgroup guy, he's an arrogant idiot to boot.

This does beg the question. Outside of ebay, where in the hell do you guys get your parts?

I can't for the life of me find a decent source local or otherwise.

This does beg the question. Outside of ebay, where in the hell do you guys get your parts?

I bought a replacement AST board and a new IBM PC keyboard from that site I mentioned in the OP.

The prices are relatively high because it's a retail source for old equipment.

--Brian

Back