• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need to download: win98 drivers and other stuffs...

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
k', my windows 98 machine didn't come with any install disks for the OS as I bought it second hand. I'm in need of all of the drivers, extras, etc. in plain file form. E.g. just the files, not the bootable part, and not a disk image, as the computers that are connected to the internet, I don't have the ability for Nero to write to a disk, so I have to paste/write withe explorer. I just enabled advanced power management in my BIOS, and can't take advantage of it because windoze is complaining it needs drivers. The same with my new USB mouse and flash drive.

well it might be helpful to know the make and model of the computer so someone could to try and help you There were lots of Windows 98 systems.

Well your going to need to scour the net for the drivers. You'll need to work out which devices need drivers and then you might have to take a look at the various chips in the machine to narrow down what they are.

If it is a custom built system then going to the manufacturers website of the motherboard will yield most of the onboard drivers. If they don't have the model on their site (or you cannot work out who makes the board) then you need to look at the individual parts (ie chip numbers) and just Google them.

When I was a tech this was common practice for us. Hope this helps.

A common installation practice was to copy Windows 9x drivers in to c:\windows\inf\. You could try pointing it there and see if the previous person/vendor did that for you.

Windows 98 is protected under Copyright laws, you can not legally download an ISO.

Actually, not quite true. With MS software the license is the sticker with the CD Key (OEM) or a card with it on (retail or upgrade). They treat the media as very unimportant. So technically you could legally download the software, only if you have a license for it (ie the card with it on, or the sticker on the case).

MS now ships OEM copies of Office 2007 without media, and most tier 1 dealers (DELL, HP etc) don't ship machines with media at all.

I would call call MS and see if they can sell you a replacement CD for some nominal fee, who know they may have the media still in stock, or a place to download it.

Or check this out: http://www.telephonesonline.com.au/...CD_DISC/download_lost_buy_second_edition.html - it is a place to purchase an ISO download of Windows 98 ($14au), and they state they won't issue you a install key, so it is (to my knowledge) legit, they are selling the download and not the software itself.

Last edited:
lutiana said:
MS now ships OEM copies of Office 2007 without media,

How do you install it? o_O

and most tier 1 dealers (DELL, HP etc) don't ship machines with media at all.

I was surprised when I bought my last laptop and it came with an OS disc but I've heard of not getting media or having to paying extra for it. I guess I got lucky.

As an OEM dealer you need to media kit that you purchase from MS (or can download for free in their special OEM website), it is retained by the OEM and not given to the customer.

This is done so that retailers can't simply sell someone a "cheaper" version of Office. OEM copies of MS software have to be pre-installed by the OEM (and supported by them as well, hence the lower price).

As far as your last laptop purchase goes I did say "most" not all. As far I know, the early XP machines almost always came with the CD, this became alot less common near the release of Vista, and because of the way vista installs (it is an image based installation, rather than a file copy) and the built in image deployment feature most manufacturers don't supply the DVD, or at least I have not seen one that did.

I am an Microsoft OEM Partner, and one of the the things they make you do to achieve this with them is to read a lot about licensing and how they price things. The bottom line from all the damned EULAs I had to read is that the media in most of their OS and Office softwares are not very important to them provided you have the legit license (the Certificate of Authenticity, either the sticker or the card with the key on it).

Its kind of funny to see a customers reaction when you sell them a $1000 letter sized sheet of paper with a nice sticker on it.

Last edited:
O, TandyMan100 one other thing to note about the key and the media is that with Windows 98 there are at least 3 different key types; OEM, Retail and the Upgrade Key. These keys are no interchangeable, and OEM key will only work on OEM media same with the others.

You will know if it is OEM by the sticker on the case (I think they started doing this with Windows 98 SE though).

This may affect you if you ever need to re-install the OS from the ISO you get your hands on.

lutiana said:
As far as your last laptop purchase goes I did say "most" not all.

Yeah, I know just surprised I got a Vista disc with it. I didn't know the OEM thing worked like that now. The shop I worked at went under before Vista's release so I guess I'm out of touch with the OEM way :rolleyes:

I know all about how HP does it. I work for their warranty service (along with Compaq, also an HP company, Gateway/Emachines, Dell, Lenovo/IBM, etc)...

On HP's starting with Vista, the BIOS contains a key, so does the COA.. On every modern HP, is a BID (Build ID) sticker on the bottom, that tells you what recovery set works with your computer since HP's are locked. If you have a BID sticker, you could actually install Vista on your HP/Compaq without even needing the key, granted your model HP/Compaq has a key in the BIOS and the CD's matched. This in question is HP's "Tattoo".

Enough said, I already explained too much truncated information.

I know all about how HP does it. I work for their warranty service (along with Compaq, also an HP company, Gateway/Emachines, Dell, Lenovo/IBM, etc)...

On HP's starting with Vista, the BIOS contains a key, so does the COA.. On every modern HP, is a BID (Build ID) sticker on the bottom, that tells you what recovery set works with your computer since HP's are locked. If you have a BID sticker, you could actually install Vista on your HP/Compaq without even needing the key, granted your model HP/Compaq has a key in the BIOS and the CD's matched. This in question is HP's "Tattoo".

Enough said, I already explained too much truncated information.

I was not aware of this, but it explains a lot of what I have seen out there with the newer OEMs.

With MS software the license is the sticker with the CD Key (OEM) or a card with it on (retail or upgrade). They treat the media as very unimportant. So technically you could legally download the software, only if you have a license for it (ie the card with it on, or the sticker on the case).
I think that would be a little borderline. The license is with the CoA, but duplication of the media (and an ISO image is a duplication) is prohibited unless you have an agreement with Microsoft (and the big OEMs like HP and Dell do).

This is from a Microsoft NZ publication, from the XP era so the W98 license may be different but the prohibition on duplication of the media is probably the same.
Microsoft System Builder OEM Licensing FAQ said:
Any unauthorised reproduction of Microsoft software, even for recovery disks, infringes Microsoft's copyright, is illegal and can result in civil and criminal liability.

The Microsoft OEM System Builder license does not permit reproduction of Microsoft software....

I was not aware of this, but it explains a lot of what I have seen out there with the newer OEMs.
Do note though, the key in the BIOS is by no means unique. This is why out of a random timing, your HP/Compaq may say the key is invalid and ask for the key on the COA. The key is generic to that OEM builder. This is actually how the Vista activation scheme was exploited, by essentially making a BIOS overlay on generic beige box PC's.

I was surprised when I bought my last laptop and it came with an OS disc but I've heard of not getting media or having to paying extra for it. I guess I got lucky.

I have had to pay for "OS restore media" at least 3 times here lately (for new laptops). I always get it, if available, pay or free. I have heard if you actually read the manuals, that they are forcing you to burn your own restore media after you first turn the machine on. I haven't run across any of those "burn now or you will be sorry later" machines yet.

k', my windows 98 machine didn't come with any install disks for the OS as I bought it second hand.

The now famous "I feel your pain!" I have 2 OLD OLD Gateway Solo 2150 sitting here. Sigh, funny how fast we forget the BAD stuff. As in, hunting for drivers. I came close to the pitching it out the front door yesterday. Every USB device or PCMCIA card I stuck in there needed drivers. Our fave "go find them on MS site" function doesn't seem to do much anymore.

I have the feeling my Solo 2150s are going to become Linux machines, real soon now.

The now famous "I feel your pain!" I have 2 OLD OLD Gateway Solo 2150 sitting here. Sigh, funny how fast we forget the BAD stuff. As in, hunting for drivers. I came close to the pitching it out the front door yesterday. Every USB device or PCMCIA card I stuck in there needed drivers. Our fave "go find them on MS site" function doesn't seem to do much anymore.

I have the feeling my Solo 2150s are going to become Linux machines, real soon now.
Hearin' ya man. I got Ubuntu in another tab right now...

Microsoft needs a product key, serial number, proof of purchase, and about 30 other things that I don't have plus some money for me to get a replacement CD. How can I tell what version of Windows I have, and does anyone have an install disk lying around that they don't want/could make a copy of? I'm not able to hibernate, I can't use any of my USB, my mouse, or my CD burner. If someone could mail me one in an envelope (no shipping fees) it would be great. It could be scratched, just not discolored. We have a service here in town that will buff out scratches in CDs for a buck fifty.

Any help appreciated.

Back