• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Applied Engineering TimeMaster II H.O.

hexsane

Experienced Member
I'm at wits end. I've replaced every chip on this card except the M5832 and I can't get my IIe or IIgs to see the card. The 3 disk images I've tried all contain the same thing and RUN TIME.NO.ROM renders garbage.

What am I doing wrong?

Solution:

Druid gave me an idea and I ran with it. I took the ROM from the timemaster card and plopped it into a parallel card. Boom. It was recognized as a timemaster. I replaced the ROM socket and the LS00 and LS08 logic sockets and the card now works.

Bad sockets were the source of this weeks insanity.

Go figure. ;)

As a side note: The GND lines from edge connector on this card had some hairline cracks near the edge connector. In case someone else sees this and is trying to repair it try looking there too.

AND - There is a picture of this card with a Z80 CPU, PAL and SRAM - That is not a Timemaster II H.O. - OR it is a modified Timemaster II H.O.

Last edited:
Time Master II H.O.

Time Master II H.O.

The board look simple enough. Most of the logic is contained in that PAL chip at U2. If that guy goes bad, you'll have to get a programmed replacement.

You've hit on something of much frustration for me:

http://www.downloads.reactivemicro...._Work/TimeMaster II H.O/TimeMaster II H.O.jpg

Reactive has 2 images of the card. Both use 6821 PIA (and the manual references a PIA) and both images have a 74LS245 in U2.

You are looking at another picture which I can't find at the moment that has a Z80 CPU, PAL in u2 and a 6116 RAM in the ROM socket. I don't know which care is correct. The card I have came configured the way the one at reactive micro is.

First thing I'd do is clean the oxide off the card edge and check to see none got in the card slot.

The picture isn't my card. Its another card that reactive micro has. My card has clean pins. There are 2 pictures of the card floating around the net. One has a Z80 CPU the other has a 6821 PIA.

I'm way passed cleaning edge connectors at this point.

-Matt

Druid gave me an idea and I ran with it. I took the ROM from the timemaster card and plopped it into a parallel card. Boom. It was recognized as a timemaster. I replaced the ROM socket and the LS00 and LS08 logic sockets and the card now works.

Bad sockets were the source of this weeks insanity.

Go figure. ;)

As a side note: The GND lines from edge connector on this card had some hairline cracks near the edge connector. In case someone else sees this and is trying to repair it try looking there too.

Every card I can find (even a few on eBay) have 6821 PIAs on them. That is the only picture of the card with a Z80 CPU. I'd like to know what that card is for.

-Matt

The card is already labeled as as Timer Master II H.O.

I understand that. But it wouldn't work with the Timemaster II utiliites. The utilities address the PIA to read the M5832 RTC. Basically you can't use that card as a RTC based on the Timemaster II manual and the utility software.

In order for the utilities to even identify the card as a Timemaster II it needs to read the ROM and that card has a 6116 SRAM in the ROM socket.

-Matt

Back