• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Multi-User OSes: MP/M & DOS

sundragon

Greetings!

Does anyone know where to download or obtain some of the various legacy multi-user DOS & CP/M - based OSes, such as:

MP/M, MP/M-86, DR DOS Multiuser, Concurrent DOS/386 M/U, PC-MOS-386, VM-386 or Novell's Concurrent DOS x86?

I've heard/read references to these now being public domain (obsolete & abandoned by their vendors) and I'd like to get some of them up and running in my lab on some old spare machines. I used to run/var a few of these myself, but haven't touched them since the late '80s. I am very interested in getting one of the latest versions of MP/M (before DR spun it off as Concurrent DOS). (I heard that the former owner of the company that developed PC-MOS/386 is going to release all of the binaries, source, etc.. at some time in the near future, but it's all still up in the air)

Isn't there a decent repository of CP/M (MP/M) and related software?

If anyone can shed some light in this area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your efforts!

Sundragon-

Yes there is a website with all that stuff available for LEGAL download. Of course, I bookmarked it long ago. Of course, I can't find it now. So, off to google land you go.

MP/M, if you don't already have a binary configured for your system is much more difficult to get going than CP/M. Because it's multi-user, timeslicing, it requires a system with a timer with a hardware interrupt to work right. Similarly, it works best if I/O operations are also interrupt-driven and you have bankswitching memory.

Back in the day, I wrote an XIOS for MP/M starting wtih the 8" OEM version that ran on an Intel MDS, but it wasn't a duck shoot by any means.

You missed a step in the evolution--Concurrent CP/M 86. There were other multi-user systems configured for special hardware, such as the one-CPU-per-user setup of Molecular.

Thank you all for your prompt responses!

I will follow up on the leads given. Should you encounter any more information regarding this subject, please don't hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Sundragon-

http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.php is where I get most of my CP/M and MP/M stuff. The altair simh is great - you can use it as a repository of software, or you can use it as a simulator. Shell to it from vb.net and use it for rapid compilation. Telnet to it from the other side of the world.

The iso of the walnut creek archive is here http://n8vem-sbc.pbwiki.com/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=Walnut Creek CP/M CD archive

Turn it into a CD and you have hundreds of megabytes of CP/M software. There are a few gems in there - eg back in the day I always wanted the reverse of LOAD, ie .com to .hex. CP/M didn't have this but MP/M did. But there are versions of UNLOAD on the walnut creek archive.

And at http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=332138 there are some guys working on getting MP/M emulated on a single 40 pin propeller chip.

Greetings!

Does anyone know where to download or obtain some of the various legacy multi-user DOS & CP/M - based OSes, such as:

MP/M, MP/M-86, DR DOS Multiuser, Concurrent DOS/386 M/U, PC-MOS-386, VM-386 or Novell's Concurrent DOS x86?

I've heard/read references to these now being public domain (obsolete & abandoned by their vendors) and I'd like to get some of them up and running in my lab on some old spare machines. I used to run/var a few of these myself, but haven't touched them since the late '80s. I am very interested in getting one of the latest versions of MP/M (before DR spun it off as Concurrent DOS). (I heard that the former owner of the company that developed PC-MOS/386 is going to release all of the binaries, source, etc.. at some time in the near future, but it's all still up in the air)

Isn't there a decent repository of CP/M (MP/M) and related software?

If anyone can shed some light in this area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your efforts!

Sundragon-

MP/M and MP/M-86 DR-DOS multuser and Concurrent DOS are mentioned by others... Gene's retroarchive.org has some versions also...
VM/386 I haven't seen anywhere...
PC-MOS/386 5.01 I have - PM an email addy and I'll send it to you (3.5" uncompressed diskette image)
Novell Concurrent DOS I haven't seen.

Check vetusware.com also.

T

Novell Concurrent DOS == DRI Concurrent DOS

VM/386 is very much alive and not "abandonware", whatever that is.

VM/386 really isn't an OS per se (in spite of IGC's claim), but rather a virtualizer that allows you to host multiple operating systems at the same time. I used to use it quite a bit.

Back