• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 haul, and is a CM4 Monitor worth fixing?

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
One of my local contacts gave me a Tandy 1000 today, some kind of tandy printer, keyboard, and a CM4 monitor along with manuals and some disks today.

I setup the 1000 with the monitor and it worked fine for 15 minutes or so then I noticed the video was off on the monitor (light was still on). I smelled something burnt but seen no smoke, and a little bit of noise when it was on. tested the 1000 with another monitor and all is well (after I cleaned the 5.25" drives with a head cleaner).

This 1000 has one card installed and shows 640K on bootup. The card must be a memory card and it has a 25 pin male port on the back (anyone know what that is is for?).

About the monitor, I would fix it if it were me. I can never find any where I am.

Not sure about the card you mentioned; may be an external fdd interface?

Nathan

This 1000 has one card installed and shows 640K on bootup. The card must be a memory card and it has a 25 pin male port on the back (anyone know what that is is for?).

If this is an original 1000, it's undoubtedly the Tandy memory card with DMA and a serial port. Remember that you don't really have 640k since some memory is taken by the video (between 2k and 32k depending on the mode).

Yes, original 1000. Happen to know the model number of the card to verify?

A Serial port would be cool. I did find an old Logitec 3 button mouse with the old style 25 pin interface.

About the monitor, I would fix it if it were me. I can never find any where I am.

Not sure about the card you mentioned; may be an external fdd interface?

Nathan

You can't find Tandy CGA monitors? Didn't they make those in Texas?

I have a Magnavox CGA monitor and a Tandy CM-11 (better dot pitch then the CM-4 I think). CGA in general is hard to come by, the Magnavox was originally for a Commodore 128.

If this is an original 1000, it's undoubtedly the Tandy memory card with DMA and a serial port. Remember that you don't really have 640k since some memory is taken by the video (between 2k and 32k depending on the mode).

Actually, the minimum amount of memory taken is 16K and the maximum is typically 64K but can go higher if the programmer has a need for more than two video pages.

This is because the memory pages are in 16K chunks. There are eight of them.

Well it shows 640K when it boots ;)

Was there a place to mount a HD if you have dual floppies inside (didn't notice one)?
Should get an 8 bit hardcard if they had ones for the 1000 that still work and do not cost a mint.

Anyway planning on opening up the monitor tomorrow unless something else gets me busy.

Anybody have schematics for a CM-4?

I just dug a Tandy 100 SX with a CM-5 monitor out of my attic - are there folks out there interested in this equipment or should I look into the local computer recycling program?

Someone would definitely be interested in that (if I weren't broke I would be), and please NEVER use a computer recycling program for anything. It's sacrilege.

I'm just looking for someone interested enough to cover the shipping cost vs disposal - it's not equipment that fits my needs or interest but it may be treasure to someone... My wife will only allow me to retain it for a short while then it's got to go...

Back