• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DE220P NE2000 compatible

JT64

Experienced Member
Just found a DE220P in the bin, i am a little obsessed with get a networkcard for my 10 Mhz XT. Do anyone know if there is any idea to try this 16-bit card in an 8-bit ISA slot?

=========================================================
EDIT:I think i got lucky, have to try though*** http://www.eteckusa.com/dlink1.html
=========================================================
On another note my XT vill RUN WITH NIC card sooner or later, with VNC :twisted: and have access to network storage it is just a matter of time. I also downloaded a ICA client for dos, if i get my XT running ICA connecting to a server i eat my hat.:mrgreen:

I also found alot of other funny stuff, 1 computer 486 100DX with graphic card and this DE220P. 2 mothercards one 486DX mixed ISA,PCI and a funny mothercard.

It had three 8-bit ISA and four 16-bit isa a small DX2 processor and it was smacked with 8 rows of ram similar those on a AWE32 card. There was no IDE connections on card just 3 short slots marked master slave slave. I guess it must be some sort of card on a board for it?

JT

Last edited:
It will not work.

The NE2000 was explicitly designed as a 16 bit version of the NE1000, and it is like that for performance reasons.

If you want a card for your 8 bit PC bus machine, find one of the following:

• 3Com 3C503
  • NE1000 or compatible
  • Western Digital 8003 series (be sure it is an 8 bit version)
  • Intel EtherExpress 8/16

Mike

Some 16-bit ISA NICs could work in 8-bit ISA slots. My Artisoft AE-2s are like that--there's a jumper on the board for 8- or 16-bit (NE1000/NE2000) operation.

And I would call that an 8 or 16 bit card, and the presence of the jumper implies that it will work. Same as the Intel 8/16 that I pointed out.

But a straight NE2000 is not going to work, by definition.

JT - life is too short. Go get one of the good cards. Or consider a parallel port adapter. We'll help you with the software when you finally get setup. I'd sell you one of mine but you are a long way from here in the middle of the United States.

I also have the Dlink DE220P card. I tried to get it going in my stock IBM XT for a very long time without much success. I also have the Dlink DE220E...that one worked quite well. If you don't already have one, I recommend the Intel EtherExpress cards.

Edit: Now i tried the setup utility find card pass all chip memory tests, and cable test turned out router wanted full duplex.
So i guess it works.

JT

Last edited:
It will not work.

The NE2000 was explicitly designed as a 16 bit version of the NE1000, and it is like that for performance reasons.

If you want a card for your 8 bit PC bus machine, find one of the following:

• 3Com 3C503
  • NE1000 or compatible
  • Western Digital 8003 series (be sure it is an 8 bit version)
  • Intel EtherExpress 8/16

Mike
As far i can tell it work load packetdriver either NE2000 or proprietary driver.
It pass the config tests.
It loads the IPXODI protocol. I have not get it to work with tcp-ip yet.

JT

Well, that sounds like good news. When you first posted you said it was an NE2000 compatible, which would have excluded machines with 8 bit buses. But since then you have also said that it is configurable between NE2000 and NE1000.

I would try to get a realy application running on it - something like my DHCP client and apps, Mike Chamber's IRC app, NCSA Telnet, or any of the WATTCP apps.

This is a good point. I"ve got several "NE2000" 16-bit ISA cards that can be configured to use lower DMA (1-3) and lower IRQ (2-7) selections. It would seem that these could be made to work in an 8-bit ISA slot if the driver software allowed it, no?

Ne2000

Ne2000

Some of the generic cards are pseudo-PNP, and require a utility to switch them into an 8-bit mode. Some use jumpers. In general, it depends on the chipset if it allows 8-bit DMA, which is usually the snag on non-compatible NE2000's. Sadly I can't find a list of working chipset I used to have.

If you go to http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/network-cards/ , however, and browse all the Network Ethernet. 16-bit ISA links, there's an entry by each card that tells you if it's 8/16 bit. Alternately, you can look up a card by manufacturer to see if it's 8/16 bit.

patscc

Back