• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Freecycling"

I picked up a few more computers over the last month. Nothing too great. A few old apple systems and an HP force with win 3.1. I got a few old okidata printers in excellent condition too from a frequent gifter who told me of a friend who lives close by who has a trailer and barn full of old systems I might have for free. He even said the pile of monitors, last time he was there was 40 feet in diameter and 20 feet tall.

Hopefully, I get a chance to look them over in the next week. Fingers are crossed.

I finally got hold of the guy I mention above with the pile of monitors. He was an old time computer repair man from years ago. This was his email reply...

I have a 6 horse trailer and a barn full of stuff, you can have what ever you want just don't leave a mess of the stuff you don't want.

I'm going to try and make a trip later this week to salvage a few things. Hopefully there will be some real old systems worth taking. A 6 horse trailer is pretty big and the barn was full size from what the first person told me, not some wimpy storage shed. I'm not touching any monitors though. It now costs 10 bucks each to dispose of them and I have too many already, unless they are working and very rare.

Freecycle switched over to some other service here and it drives me nuts because whenever I click a link, evolution mail opens (even though I use Thunderbird). I kinda found it a bit better when they still used Yahoo! groups.

Well, I took a look over all the computers I mentioned above. They were stored in a smaller barn then I expected and the trailer was open to the wind and rain. Mostly monitors striped out and junked. In the barn, there were mostly apple computers. Some damaged by the elements but a lot towards the back and bottom that looked in better shape. I did manage to find a mac classic and some boxed ethernet cards but I really didn't have time to dig through the pile and they were really just piled into stalls. The person renting the place said there were a lot from the late 80's in there and she seemed to know computers. Next week I will do some more digging. It did look like the ones toward the bottom were stacked instead of just tossed. I had to walk on the piles just to reach the back. I think there were apple power macs with the monitor and cpu all built in with a cd or 3-1/2 floppie drive. I can't remember as I didn't take note of the exact model and I really don't know a lot about apples.

They were supposedly from several schools. The owner had a recycling business at one time. I did see a lot of tape recorders and some Bell & Howell items mixed in too. Did apple use tape recorders for data storage?

I would say at least 5 to 6 full van loads. A lot of monitors pulled out and the ends of the tubes smashed off

Bell and Howell Apple IIs seem to be worth a few bucks (black cases?).

See any old 68K macs in there or Nubus expansion cards?

Bell and Howell Apple IIs seem to be worth a few bucks (black cases?).

See any old 68K macs in there or Nubus expansion cards?

I was walking on a stack of these...

500-series.jpg

Back